• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Danvdh ROMs

I'm guessing that I am alone in using art instead of dalvik?

I only ask as I appear to be getting even better battery using it! Example was yesterday before work I got to 50% using mainly chrome and fb, plus some video 1.5hrs screen with 4hrs usage on dalvik. Charged it up, went to art and it took 6 hrs with nearly 2hrs screen and more video before getting to 50% can't say I've noticed much more of a difference between the two though :)

I use dalvik, as ART is still very much at an experimental stage.
And as I test the releases for Dan, then dalvik is a must.
He won't look into problems if running under ART.

I tried ART on the GE ROM. It looks pretty good, but I can't say I really noticed big differences in terms of smoothness, which is what I was hoping for. Because of this, I returned straight back to dalvik, as I value Xposed too much to sacrifice. I therefore didn't keep it on long enough to test battery life, but I have heard many reports that it is better than dalvik in this regard.

Reactions: sntaylor
Upvote 0

I only ask as I appear to be getting even better battery using it! Example was yesterday before work I got to 50% using mainly chrome and fb, plus some video 1.5hrs screen with 4hrs usage on dalvik. Charged it up, went to art and it took 6 hrs with nearly 2hrs screen and more video before getting to 50% can't say I've noticed much more of a difference between the two though :)

Is it just a question of changing runtime in developer options to switch to art, or is there more to it than that?

I haven't flashed latest version yet, seems to get mixed reports on xda....

Upvote 0
Is it just a question of changing runtime in developer options to switch to art, or is there more to it than that?

I haven't flashed latest version yet, seems to get mixed reports on xda....

yup sid.....just make sure your not using xposed first or ART dont stick

Upvote 0
Completely understand that Hawker :) especially when testing stuff :)

I can't say I've noticed any difference in smoothness etc really, just the clear battery improvement.though I was getting better battery the ge Rom on dalvik.

For anyone else not testing Roms for developers,I recommend giving it a for a few days, especially if we ever to a fortnightly build ;-)

Upvote 0
Wakey! Wakey! Hands off snakey! :wavey:

CM Edition ROM for GT-i9505 5/31/2014 is up! :)

Changelog

"Settings: Allow access for external apps to launch ThemeSettings Fragment directly
Mms: Clear notifications and mark messages read in certain situations
Calculator updated with many new features
selinux: enable support for bionic, add applets in config
Revert "Remove smiley support"
Revert "idmap: Don't log spam "CREATING STRING CACHE"
idmap: reduce CREATING STRING CACHE verbosity
Added Stock MMS back in the build as it's theme friendly
Made number picker dialog in MMS and Contacts a neutral gray so no theme will make the txt invisible
Option to show missed notification count in Interface>Statusbar now works for Email/Gmail
Included Apollo in the build to play nice with lockscreen targets, feel free to remove yourself
Updated kernel, Init binary in the ramdisk is now the latest from CM
"

Download

Source

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who prefer a less ostentatious, minimalist, style of posting... "Yer tiz". (definition) ;)

Reactions: Sydney99
Upvote 0
Why have 2 music players been added to the latest version? Or has Dan just forgotten to remove?

Edit. Ok, I see the explanation for Apollo in the change log, what about shuttle?

Shuttle?
Never heard of it old mate.
I certainly dont get that in my app drawer.

Yes, apollo was kept in mainly because the ROM's lockscreen shortcut points to this for its music app, and Dan is too OCD to keep it removed.
I would just freeze/uninstall it Syd.

Upvote 0
That's what you get for not doing a full wipe you lazy sloth!
:D

I knew the "fortnightly release" phase was a figment of Dan's imagination

New build coming soon

With the speed these bad boys are coming out, there's no way I'm gonna full wipe each time.......

Bet you're glad you're chief tester!! It's a good job it ain't that bumbling old boy (who sometimes frequents these pages in between the g&ts and womanizing) doing the testing, it'd never get done....

Upvote 0
With the speed these bad boys are coming out, there's no way I'm gonna full wipe each time.......

Bet you're glad you're chief tester!! It's a good job it ain't that bumbling old boy (who sometimes frequents these pages in between the g&ts and womanizing) doing the testing, it'd never get done....

I dont mind syd. I quite like it, and it's great to be the first to be able to get my hands on it. Done so many FR's this last week, I think I can turn it round now in 20 minutes, so not too bad.....and i'm always happier after a full wipe anyway.

did a mega wipe today by the way by flashing NE5 stock firmware to get all 4.4.2 bootloader+LTE modemmed-up. So I am now the proud owner of a knox-tripped S4! :D

As for that aged guff-ranked bloke your on about, his flashing days have been limited since he got cheese stuck down his USB port. :)

Just finished tweaking the ROM zip to my tastes......just about to flash now. :)

Upvote 0

You dangled the carrot, I couldn't resist.....

On your advice have switched to ART, similar findings to you on battery. Maybe wishful thinking, but seems snappier too! All apps working and no problems so far.....

Reactions: sntaylor
Upvote 0
Ironically I switched back to dalvik yesterday :p

Only because I wanted to try something out on xposed(anyone here able to pay for things using the nfc on their phone?), may swap back later today :)

Personally I've no need for lte as it stands(on T-Mobile so they won't give it me without upgrading to ee and losing my unlimited data, and i stay in the country with barely a3g signal, though I'm due fibre broadband in the autumn :-D)

Upvote 0
I flashed the 31/5 update of this rom last night and now cant use Dark Theme in messaging. I tick the box but it doesnt change to dark. It was fine on the previous version. Anybody else find this or have a solution? Could it be anything to do with GravityBox?

Probably. It is not recommended to use Xposed framework and GravityBox on these CM ROMs... period. I managed to get away with it up until the 5/29/2014 build but after that, I cannot get a reasonably functioning GravityBox. Therefore, until the release of Android 4.4.3, I am resigned to alternating between CM 5/29/2014 and the GE ROM. Both of which allow me to use Xposed, GravityBox and perform roughly the same.

Reactions: kingink65
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones