• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] ECHOE Rom

Poo. Got impatient and flashed the full fat version. Will flash this and compare and contrast!

You're like a kid at Christmas, Syd! :aetsch:

Yes you do :D And we hold you in the highest regard for it! (would not say that we love you, because that would be awkward...)

Very, very, awkward. :flute:

Upvote 0
Well it's all took off since I went to the wilds of Scotland with no Wi-Fi as for 3G (4G they have never heard of in Dumfries and Galloway I'm sure) that was non existent.

Right I have a SGS4 on MGG stock Vodafone firmware, fresh out of the box Knox intact. Now just for you lot I'll flash v6 of echo ROM (after pre rooting of course) full fast version. I'll see if I've tripped Knox and take it from there. I'll download tonight and flash tomorrow (not at work till Monday now). I'll let you know exactly what I do and what happens. Then I'm open to suggestions. If Knox trips so be it, at least I'll be able to flash a recovery of choice without worrying about it, my intention is to try stuff that supposedly won't trip Knox until it does. I don't particularly want it tripped, but I'm not concerned if it does.

Reactions: sntaylor
Upvote 0
Good luck ol boy, if I'd known you were up my way I'd have said pop in for a cuppa, or whisky :p but then I'm an extra 40 mins from Dumfries.....

Steady on sntaylor... we'll all be up there if you're buying! :beer:

What does everyone else think of the update? Is it much better than the 4.2.2 Roms and is echoe still working flawlessly for everyone?

Been badgered by Hawker in to installing v6. Too early to tell for me. Bit of a rigmarole setting it up. I think the dev could have done a bit better on updating the add-ons. Otherwise, it seems fine. Worth giving it a go, IMHO.

Upvote 0
I'm going to stick with v5.
Getting trouble with the integrated apps, even after removing and placing into system apps.
Eg. I have 2 versions of xposed, one that opens through the echoe option in settings, the other, the more updated one, in the app drawer, so I'm concerned view this is all tying in.

I made a request on the thread (which was unanswered, no surprise on xda) for the extra apps to be installed as user apps allowing the end user to easily uninstall or subsequently update.

I might carry the faux kernel over from v6 to v5, but unsure about what cpu app it needs, so I'll have to get to my pc and do some digging.

Upvote 0
Good luck ol boy, if I'd known you were up my way I'd have said pop in for a cuppa, or whisky :p but then I'm an extra 40 mins from Dumfries.....

Anyway, good luck on your quest :)

What does everyone else think of the update? Is it much better than the 4.2.2 Roms and is echoe still working flawlessly for everyone?

If I find the "Holy Grail" of stopping Knox tripping (which I doubt). I'll let you all know here.

I've only just looked at where you are sntaylor. We went to Culzean (pronounced Cul-ain for the unaware) on Monday (the actual castle had shut for the season) , could have done with a "wee dram" after taking this panoramic shot on the beach there:

20131028_140556_zpsb19b3d2c.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm going to stick with v5.
Getting trouble with the integrated apps, even after removing and placing into system apps.
Eg. I have 2 versions of xposed, one that opens through the echoe option in settings, the other, the more updated one, in the app drawer, so I'm concerned view this is all tying in.

I made a request on the thread (which was unanswered, no surprise on xda) for the extra apps to be installed as user apps allowing the end user to easily uninstall or subsequently update.

I might carry the faux kernel over from v6 to v5, but unsure about what cpu app it needs, so I'll have to get to my pc and do some digging.

Are not some of these issues coz you did it dirty, old boy?

Upvote 0
Its possible butty, but I don't think think so, as I removed all traces of apps, and I still couldn't reinstall them properly. I find it quicker to get to those apps via the app drawer (or even adding to homescreen by adding from the app drawer) than having to go into the echoe extra settings app.

Anyway, I prefer v5 having the "system" apps that I want, and in the way they get bundled. I now have a single Xposed 2.3.1, a working adaway2.8 (although it did fail on the very first attempt to update) CPU spy, have manually installed light manager from the play store and are all available in the app drawer and are therefore much more easily accessible and updatable.

Now contemplating putting Faux kernel and Viper mod onto v5.

Upvote 0
Fair enough, but suppose you will be more snookered as further versions come out. Presumably future releases will all come in these packaged versions.

Out of interest, when I originally went on echoe, I did a full wipe, including your nuke which cleared absolutely everything from my phone. Literally, everything!! So setting up echoe for the first time was completely from scratch.

When I then decided to go back to mh1 and got myself in a complete pickle, I obviously wiped everything from my phone and started again. Then when I went back to echoe, I did a full wipe, and on reinstalling the echoe Rom zip, a lot of my apps and settings from my first echoe dabble reappeared. Still cannot fathom how these survived two full wipes.......

Upvote 0
Interestingly a new slim version has now been uploaded this evening, with no packaged extras or kitchen, so you add these as you want.....

Perhaps they are listening to you Paul

Did you just say something old boy?
:D

Perhaps indeed butty. Just seen the "slim no kitchen" link on the website.
How do you know it doesn't come with the packaged extras butty?

I would think echoe v6 minus packaged extras minus kitchen, would essentially be v5 anyway?

Upvote 0
Hi simes, I believe that the point of this echo Rom is that it is completely Knox free, so you should be able to flash to your hearts content :)

cheers sntaylor, im already knox free on Phoenix 3.0, was just wondering if i could expect a performance hit on 4.3 as opposed to 4.2.2, ie, battery, smoothness etc? not keen on the problems some people have had with restoring backups, modems not being recognised etc on 4.3.

Upvote 0
Did you just say something old boy?
:D

Perhaps indeed butty. Just seen the "slim no kitchen" link on the website.
How do you know it doesn't come with the packaged extras butty?

I would think echoe v6 minus packaged extras minus kitchen, would essentially be v5 anyway?

Coz I flashed it!

Absolutely nothing added, none of the new camera or gallery apps, no adaway or viper etc etc

So yes, it's basically v5 super slim with faux kernel. Lovely and slim!!

Gonna stick with this, I love the fact there's no crud, I can choose what to add and remove, and which versions to have....

Reactions: Hawker
Upvote 0
sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i wiped and went with the latest slim rom and loaded up all the latest 4.4 goodies i could find on XDA.

It took me the best part of 2 minutes to go back to recovery and start again

OMG what a joke, maybe im getting too old for this, but IMO it looks so bad.

The Icons on Google launcher are HHHHHHHUUUUUGGGEEEEE and look absolutely Butt AWFUL, 4.3 camera is better, 4.3 gallery is better, couldnt get the always on google to work.

WIPE, Flash

All that took me less time to realise than boiling the kettle

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones