• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Frequency/modem help

ascanio1

Feb 14, 2011
I need LTE bands 1, 3, 8 and 20.

Official polish KitKat 4.4.2 MPN release does not work on these frequencies.

Can anyone tell me which official KitKat 4.4.2 region release (MPN) works on those bands.

Or... alternatively,

Can some one suggest me where to post a help request for 4.4.2 official KitKat, CSC radio/modem modifications?

I really need help.

I'm going crazy searching forum and websites without finding a solution.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

yeah I had the same issue, I need 1700mhz band . from what I read, there is no way to load another rom to make the freq work, have to get the n900w8 phone I think.. correct me if I am wrong because I want to make my phone work on the wind network 1700/2100 MHz
thanks
You are not right. If the hardware is compatible, then all you need is the correct modem firmware.

First check if your hardware is compatible: look up your phone model number's frequency compatibility on the Samsung website or ask on samobile forum or check the Qualcomm website (LTE/4G chipset Qualcomm Snapdragon 800). I posted the links somewhere - use search with my name.

By the way, the Qualcomm chip's modem/radio is compatible with many frequencies but only 6 can be enabled at any one time.

If the hardware is compatible, then check which firmware (MPN or region) contains a CSC (carrier specific customization) which, in turn, has the correct frequencies enabled.

In theory you can enable or disable frequencies by toggling the bands on the modem/radio without having to search for the right MPN and CSC.

All you need is to know is which file to edit and how.

If you can do this (file edit) then you don't need to flash any firmware (MPN/region) and you don't need to look for the right CSC.

By the way... if you find that file and how to modify it, please let me know, as I've been asking for 1 month!

Upvote 0
ok, I need some expert advise then... I was sent these instructions to make my international unlocked n9005 compatible with 1700 / 2100 Mhz

I didn't try it because in the instruction it said you can Only flash the firmware with the same model device
ie n900w8 wind with n900w8 Telus

but since mine is a n9005 international to n900w8 wind, I thought it might not work.

but after reading your post, if I can just somehow enable the freq without a full root, flash, I am happy to try it.

anyway here are the instructions I got I can't guarantee this to work nor have I tried..

ROOTING THE DEVICE

1) Download and install Kies (for the Drivers) from here http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/SM-N900WZKEBWA

2) Download the ODIN software and ROOT provided by Chainfire:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...51&postcount=3

3) Unzip the files just downloaded and run the ODIN software. Once loaded, click on the PDA button and browse to the ROM file:
CF-Auto-Root-hlte-hltexx-smn9005.zip (this is the file you select for your International version). Make sure the check-box in the ODIN software that says "Re-Partition" is either unchecked or greyed out.

4) Power off your device and once off, reboot into the Android system by pressing Volume Down + Home Button + Power (all at once). When you see the Galaxy Note 3 logo, let go and it will present you with a warning regarding installation of customized OS's. Click on the volume up button and this will allow you to continue and present you with a Android logo screen and the word "Downloading".

5) Plug your device into the USB port and click on the "Start" button within the ODIN software. It should take a couple of minutes but the status window in ODIN should say successful.

CONGRATULATIONS... You have now rooted your device!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INSTALLING TWRP (TEAM WIN RECOVERY PROJECT)

I loaded the above program which I recommend you do as well. TWRP is a fully touch base recovery software program that allows you to store/backup and save custom ROMS either to your computer or to the device itself through internal storage or external SD. Think of it as a simple way to manage your device rather than having to enter a bunch of codes or press key sequences to get into specific low level menus of your device.

The software can be downloaded from the following link. I downloaded the latest 2.6.3.7 version:
http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/hlte

1) Power off your device and once off, reboot into the Android system by pressing Volume Down + Home Button + Power (all at once). When you see the Galaxy Note 3 logo, let go and it will present you with a warning regarding installation of customized OS's. Click on the volume up button and this will allow you to continue and present you with a Android logo screen and the word "Downloading".

2) Load the ODIN software, click the PDA button and select the TWRP package you just downloaded:
openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.7-hlte.img.tar

3) Plug your device into the USB port and click on the "Start" button within the ODIN software. It should take a couple of minutes but the status window in ODIN should say successful.

CONGRATULATIONS... You have just installed the TWRP software which will open your device up to a world of possibilities.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INSTALLING AN LTE CAPABLE ROM/MODEM

Now that you have your device rooted and the TWRP software installed, we now want to enable the LTE capability so you can use this device at the best speeds possible! Unlike what many have posted, I confirmed with AllGamer you can load any carrier SM-N900W8 ROM onto the device as long as the models version match (ie: SM-N900W8). My device is WIND Mobile and this carrier does not support LTE so the fastest speed I can select is 4G which is WCDMA/GSM in the network mode settings. Since I will be using the device on Telus with LTE data speeds, I want to install this ROM but ensure the device will have LTE as a option which I can select under network mode.

1) Go to the following link and download the carrier specific ROM for the provider you wish to use your phone with (in yourcase, Wind Mobile): which will be GLW from the “Region Code”
http://www.samsungis.com/Firmwares/SM-N900W8.html

2) This is a large file so I downloaded it to my Pcloud account then onto my computer which took about 30 minutes. Once the file is on your computer, extract the contents.

3) Power off your device and once off, reboot into the Android system by pressing Volume Down + Home Button + Power (all at once). When you see the Galaxy Note 3 logo, let go and it will present you with a warning regarding installation of customized OS's. Click on the volume up button and this will allow you to continue and present you with a Android logo screen and the word "Downloading".

4) Load the ODIN software, click the PDA button and select the ROM package you just downloaded (in your case, Wind Mobile).

5) Plug your device into the USB port and click on the "Start" button within the ODIN software. It should take around 5 minutes but the status window in ODIN should say successful.

6) Your device will now reboot and you will need to go through the setup process. Once complete, you think LTE will be enabled but you are wrong! You must dial the following key sequence to bring up a regional carrier menu: *#272*[IMEI]# (that is *#272* (your IMEI number) #) - To find your IMEI number, check your manufacturer box or press *#06# from your call menu and it's the first 15 - digits.

When the menu pops up, it will show a listing of codes and it matches the "region" list that's shown at the following link: http://www.samsungis.com/Firmwares/SM-N900W8.html

When the menu comes up, select the regional code for the carrier ROM you just installed (in your case, Wind Mobile which was "GLW"). The phone will now go through a reset/boot sequence and come this time, it should read the APN settings from your SIM card and viola, you now have Wind Mobile.

CONGRATULATIONS... You now have rooted your device and installed a custom ROM for the carrier you wish to use. Since you have installed a specific ROM and set the regional carrier settings to this ROM, if you look under your status menu, instead of it saying "Custom" next to "Device Status", it will show "Original".

Now the guy who sent me this I think just wanted me to go to his unlocking website and unlock my device there, plus in the instruction it said that it will only work if you have the same model phone. my phone is already unlocked..

I would like an expert to verify that these instruction will in fact help me get my international n9005 working on the Canadian wind mobile 1700/2100 MHz network. since my phone is unlock not rooted running on 4.4.2 can I still go into the freq enable menu to enable the freq?

Upvote 0
I'm no expert and can't say, I'm afraid.

All I know is that is possible to flash a different modem after you have rooted and installed a custom recovery. I would be very cautious installing any part of the firmware that wasn't my device specific.

I used to flash modems with almost casual abandon on my SGSII as some would work better than others, but have had no need to do so on my Note 3.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones