1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[International / GSM] 3 Questions regarding ROOT - Please help!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by artemasad, Dec 20, 2011.

1. artemasad

artemasad Lurker

I usually consider myself technologically competent, but when it comes to something with high risk like this (i.e. bricking), I am extremely afraid of doing anything without being sure. :( I would love if you experts could give me quick pointers. I personally have rooted only one phone (OG Droid), and it has already been 2.5 years and I totally forgot exactly what I did...

1) Will rooting effects my Galaxy Nexus from receiving regular OS updates from Google? As in.. if I were to root the phone, and Android 4.1 update is released for GN, will I be able to update the OS normally?

2) What is the best way to backup my Galaxy Nexus besides just copying and paste all folders onto my computer, and re-transfer? If I understand correctly, rooting will cause everything to be wiped out (please let me know if I'm wrong).

3) If I simply want to root the phone for only one purpose - removing Ads, what would be the safest, easiest method/route?

I'm sorry if my questions are very elementary. I was hesitant to inquire for help at first, but I came across Steven58's signature and figured this community is a helpful bunch. Thank you for your help ahead of time!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Welcome to AF :D

Never feel bad about asking questions that is why AF is here ;)

1. The jury is out on this one, you may be able to if you are stock and don't do much to /system, generally accepting OTAs will unroot the phone. If you rom the phone then you shouldn't get OTA updates. Also usually rooted OTA roms are made available for flashing in recovery if you want to be rooted on the OTA. Edit: If you flash a custom recovery OTA updates will fail to work, you can always revert back to a set up where you can get OTA updates however.

2. Your method is really the best method I know of. Yes when you unlock the bootloader it will wipe the phone.

3. IMO the easiest way to root is unlocking the bootloader, then either flashing clockwork mod recovery or soft booting it and flashing superuser.zip in recovery. This method is listed in the OP of the sticky how to root thread. IIRC there are apps available on the market that block ads.

artemasad likes this.
  3. artemasad

artemasad Lurker

Thank you Yeahha.

So even if I were to do the minimal steps that would take to root and install AdFree to block ads (without messing around with ROMs), I will have to keep re-root the phone every time Google sends out OS updates?

4. metlcat

metlcat Android Enthusiast

The other option would be to flash ClockworkMod recovery and then wait for a developer to release a rooted version of the update.

Yeahha likes this.
  5. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

This is correct. Really the minimal steps are all you need to do in order to achieve root. Unlike many other phones this phone has a very simple root process. Often (at least with other phones) an update will be leaked prior to release and there will be a rom you can flash before an OTA even begins.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews