1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

[International / GSM] AOSP source code build: virtual memory exhausted

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thehybridkiwi, Apr 29, 2012.

  1. thehybridkiwi

    thehybridkiwi Member
    Thread Starter
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    16
    Posts:
    31
    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2011

    Dec 27, 2011
    31
    5
    16
    Austin, TX
    I'm trying to build the AOSP source code, but I'm getting a "virtual memory exhausted: Cannot allocate memory" error part way through the build. I didn't specify the build target via lunch. Rather, I went straight to make -j4.

    I'm running the build on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (x86) that's mounted on VirtualBox. The VM base memory is set at 1GB, but I've also created a 20GB swap partition. The drive is set to dynamically allocate/expand, with the cap set at 150GB.

    Based on the above settings, I would think that it satisfies the requirements needed for a single build.

    Thoughts?
     

    Advertisement

  2. scary alien

    scary alien not really so scary
    Moderator
    Rank:
     #8
    Points:
    2,138
    Posts:
    22,297
    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2010

    Mar 5, 2010
    22,297
    23,684
    2,138
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    thehybridkiwi,

    Not done this myself, but this page (outside of the bickering you'll see in there ;)) has a few suggestions that might help you:

    php-fpm on vds6.net FreeBSD - LowEndTalk

    Cheers and good luck!
     
  3. thehybridkiwi

    thehybridkiwi Member
    Thread Starter
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    16
    Posts:
    31
    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2011

    Dec 27, 2011
    31
    5
    16
    Austin, TX
    "I also make unrelated posts about unrelated posts." ... interesting thread lol

    Well, I tried it again - this time specifying the target via lunch full-eng - the memory seemed to be in check while the build was progressing. Then, I hit a fatal road block that tells me Linux 64-bit is required. I re-read the ASOP build initialization page and, under "Installing required packages (Ubuntu 10.04 -- 11.10)", it says that a 64-bit version of Linux is required. But I'm using 12.04 so I simply skipped to the next section, which didn't say 64-bit is required.

    I wish I had just gone with 64-bit to begin with. The whole process leading up to the build took sooo long... and I guess I have to do it all over again now.
     
Tags:

Share This Page

Loading...