• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[International / GSM] Charging battery when turned off freezes phone

Nightfall

May 12, 2010
I successfully rooted my phone on Sunday and have been running it rooted since. Today, for the first time since I charged the battery up full when I got the phone, I shut the phone down and let it sit on the charger. The charging icon was on the screen, but it was frozen on the screen even after I unplugged the phone.

Thinking this was odd, I tried another battery and I had the same results. The only way you fix the issue is if you pull the battery. Then you can put the battery back in and turn the phone on and off. If the phone is off though, and you charge it, the phone will freeze. The only way around this is a battery pull.

Obviously, the phone charges fine when it is on, which is how I typically charge the battery anyway.

I didn't have this issue before I rooted, so I can only assume that this issue is with rooted roms or something with the root process. I found this thread on xda that discusses the same issue. It was confirmed in the thread this seems to be the issue.

Bugged when device is charging and off? - xda-developers

Just thought I would pass this info on to see if anyone can confirm this issue and maybe someone has a solution.

I successfully rooted my phone on Sunday and have been running it rooted since. Today, for the first time since I charged the battery up full when I got the phone, I shut the phone down and let it sit on the charger. The charging icon was on the screen, but it was frozen on the screen even after I unplugged the phone.

Thinking this was odd, I tried another battery and I had the same results. The only way you fix the issue is if you pull the battery. Then you can put the battery back in and turn the phone on and off. If the phone is off though, and you charge it, the phone will freeze. The only way around this is a battery pull.

Obviously, the phone charges fine when it is on, which is how I typically charge the battery anyway.

I didn't have this issue before I rooted, so I can only assume that this issue is with rooted roms or something with the root process. I found this thread on xda that discusses the same issue. It was confirmed in the thread this seems to be the issue.

Bugged when device is charging and off? - xda-developers

Just thought I would pass this info on to see if anyone can confirm this issue and maybe someone has a solution.

It has something to do with the bootloader from what I've read. It has been fixed for instance in ARHD 2.1.2 ROM. Battery pull does fix, well a temporary fix, for now.

Upvote 0
It has something to do with the bootloader from what I've read. It has been fixed for instance in ARHD 2.1.2 ROM. Battery pull does fix, well a temporary fix, for now.
So updating to a new ROM will fix the problem? That really is neat. I was hoping it wasn't something that had to do with installing clockworkmod or something.

If so, I will just wait until a good 4.03 rom comes out.

Upvote 0
hmmm interesting. I haven't had that issue. I'm rooted and unlocked from day one. I turned mine off yesterday while i charged my new ext battery so it would charge it faster and i had no freezing.

It depends on the rom I have found. I am running Dedoxed right now. I will switch to a new rom after 4.0.3 comes out and there are a few more roms to choose from. Maybe Dedoxed will release a 4.0.3 rom.

Upvote 0
It depends on the rom I have found. I am running Dedoxed right now. I will switch to a new rom after 4.0.3 comes out and there are a few more roms to choose from. Maybe Dedoxed will release a 4.0.3 rom.

I'm in the same position as you Night. Running Fab's Dedoxed 4.0.2 atm. Really happy with it except for the freeze when charging while off bug. I was a big Bugless fan back on my Droid, so I'll probably try Peter's 4.0.4 ROM soon now that I have some free time on my hands.

Upvote 0

Thanks for this, I'll have to try 2.1.2, I have 2.1.1 and haven't done that switch cause I was being lazy about updating. I had the same problem as the OP and assumed it was just me but glad to know I'm not just unlucky.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones