1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

[International / GSM] [HOW TO] Root the GSM/HSPA+ Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by scary alien, Nov 26, 2011.

1. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    Moderator Thread Starter

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Thanks!

Yeah, I saw this over on XDA and didn't include it since I haven't finished updating the second post of this thread--mainly because I see there are still a few issues being ironed-out with ClockworkMod (mostly the USB mounting issue).

But, I will definitely include this.

Cheers!

Advertisement

ItsASamsung likes this.
  2. UKROB

UKROB Lurker
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    Hey guys how will this recent OTA update for galaxy nexus affect the bootloader unlock/root?

3. scary alien

Moderator Thread Starter

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Yes, you'll need a custom recovery (ClockworkMod at this time) to flash ROMs and other signed update.zip type files.

Yes, custom recovery is where you take your Nandroid backups. This is because you need / want a quiescent system (i.e., no file activity) when you take a backup snapshot of your device's memory partitions. The custom recovery boots into a smaller, RAM-based kernel that allows for this.

So, if you aren't going to flash any custom ROMs, you don't need a custom recovery. You don't even have to flash a custom recovery, you can soft-boot it without flashing just to make/take a Nandroid backup (as a matter of fact, if you don't remove the /system/recovery-from-boot.p file, Android will automatically re-flash the stock recovery anyway).

Additionally, you'll always have the ability to restore the stock Android image too to take you back to square one.

Lots of options ;) :).

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

4. mfecik

mfecik Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 2, 2011
    This was posted last night by biohazard53188:

"Alright Guys! I just finished unlocking my bootloader and rooting my LTE Gnex. Im going to warn you all right now. DO NOT use superboot to root your Gnex when you get it, root it manually until a better solution comes out. I got a boot loop from it and after searching on the internet I found that others had this issue on production devices. I ended up wiping the cache and formatting which saved my butt. I was pretty pissed for a second thinking i just ruined my baby before the release date.

I had no problem activating it with my home made micro sim and I have not received any updates in the 7 hours its been on. Anyway its up and running now and I LOVE IT! You guys will not be disappointed!"

Since my plan was to use the easiest method to root my phone, should I worry about this? I feel confident that I can unlock the bootloader, no problem so should I simply unlock the bootloader and then wait to root until a better method comes along (I assume that unlocking the bootloader is the only thing that will wipe the phone where as rooting the phone will not lose the data on the phone)??

DucatiDude likes this.
  5. scary alien

Moderator Thread Starter

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Welcome to the AndroidForums, UKROB!

Well, I'm a bit behind in hearing any news about any new/recent OTA, but I can't imagine that would affect the ability to unlock the bootloader (which drives how we install root). Its a Nexus device, after all.

Cheers!

6. UKROB

UKROB Lurker
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    will flashing CWM erase any data from the phone?

7. scary alien

Moderator Thread Starter

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    No user data--you're just replacing the stock recovery when you flash a custom recovery.

Note that Android will automatically replace any custom recovery each reboot with his stock recovery if you haven't taken measures to prevent this (i.e., removed the /system/recovery-from-boot.p file).

8. scary alien

Moderator Thread Starter

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    mfecik,

I'll post a note/warning above the Superboot method referenced in the first post to point to this. I haven't had time to read/research about this yet over on XDA, etc., so I'm not familiar with the details (I wouldn't think its a GSM vs. LTE device version issue, but I don't really know right now).

Thanks for the heads-up.

Cheers!

mfecik likes this.
  9. UKROB

UKROB Lurker
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    ok guys so a flashed the recovery to CWM, but when i try to enter recovery I just get the android with the red triangle and it doesn't go any further than that, how do i access CWM recovery?

10. scary alien

Moderator Thread Starter

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Well, I'm still fuzzy on all of these details myself, since I don't have a device (yet) to actually test with, which is why I haven't yet finished updating the second post of this thread.

Here's text from a thread over on XDA about the key sequences:

Code (Text):
    1. vol down + power = [B]download mode[/B]
    3. Vol up + power = [B]recovery[/B]
    5. both vol + power = [B]fastboot [/B][COLOR="Blue"](where you can also select recovery)[/COLOR]
    I would also suggest soft-booting recovery via this method:

fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.2-maguro.img

I've also read that many folks are using ROM Manager to flash and invoke CWM--I don't have that program so I haven't referenced how to use it.

11. UKROB

UKROB Lurker
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    can I do a reflash with the stock recovery img renamed/deleted?
    * well i just reflashed it anyways, if it doesn't work then i'll try the rom manager.

**update** reflash worked. CWM recovery is working ;)

12. John Markley

John Markley Newbie
    None

Dec 4, 2011
    Evidently the GSM CWM .img, recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.2-maguro.img, is working for some early VZW LTE users if I'm understanding the recent posts correctly. However in post #76 back on page 2 of this thread, teddyearp said -

At the bottom of his post are 3 links including "Samsung i515 files". Opening that link gives a list of files including
    LTErecovery_cwr.img
    which I took to be the LTE version he referred to, somewhat obliquely. Has anyone tried this version, either softboot or flash?

Edit-- after rereading the entire thread I'm not so sure anyone with an LTE GNex has reported booting/flashing the GSM CWM, looks like only a UK user(s). Nonetheless I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried the LTErecovery_cwr.img posted by teddyearp, including him.

13. DucatiDude

DucatiDude Well-Known Member
    None

May 30, 2010
    This is exactly why I haven't tried to root mine yet. I would be beside myself if I bricked this baby before it was even released.

14. William T Riker

William T Riker Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 14, 2010
    Male
    East Coast USA
    Hey guys,

Is the driver listed in the OP for 64 bit systems? I installed that one and I can see the device fine over ADB but when I put it in fastboot it says it cannot install the driver ... dunno whats going on here :thinking:

15. Travillion

Travillion Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 13, 2011
    State College, PA
    Hi guys,

I just purchased my Verizon Galaxy Nexus, and planned to unlock and root first thing. Only problem is, I can't unlock. ADB works just fine, but fastboot is unresponsive. When I do fastboot devices it just returns me to the command without listing any devices. When I try and do fastboot oem unlock, it says waiting for devices, but does not do anything to my phone. My phone's bootloader is still operable. For some reason, it seems my fastboot is not recognizing my phone. Any suggestions? I tried different fastboot drivers listed, but didn't know what to do with them as none of them were installable files.

16. galpdawg

galpdawg Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    Jersey
    having issues like this as well

17. William T Riker

William T Riker Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 14, 2010
    Male
    East Coast USA
    same here, I dont really consider myself a noob, but I downloaded the usb zip but theres no installable if somebody could explain how to get them loaded that would be great...

**?? Also has anybody successfully used this boot.img with the LTE version? dont want it to be GSM only and then I brick this thing before I even get to use it

18. cwazpitt3

cwazpitt3 Member
    None

Dec 12, 2011
    Software Consultant
    Pittsburgh, PA

I had similar issues to this. Here's what I did...

I uninstalled the Samsung drivers and rebooted. Then I installed PDANet and selected Samsung as the device type, plugged in my phone and it did the rest. Then I was able to "adb reboot bootloader" from my PC and when I did "fastbook devices" my device was there.

I will also warn you that my phone did not act as advertised while rooting. It never appeared to boot to the boot.img file for me to run the commands. I then tried the superboot method found on XDA and that seemed to do the same thing (just sitting at the google screen...nothing else). I was for sure I bricked my phone...pulled the battery and then it rebooted and superuser app was on the phone...root must have worked. Hope this helps...YMMV.

19. Travillion

None

Oct 13, 2011
    State College, PA
    Thanks for the tip. Still not working. I'll keep trying. This is supposed to be so easy! I'm really frustrated that fastboot is not working.

20. JRowMe

JRowMe Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    same thing.
    did this via droidlife's link.
    worked.

1. Open the Device Manager.
      1. Right-click on My Computer (Windows XP) or Computer (Windows Vista/7).
      2. Click on Manage.
      3. Click on Device Manager on the left.
    2. You will probably see Unknown Device with ADB listed under it with a yellow exclamation mark.
    3. Right-click on ADB.
    4. Click on "Update Driver Software".
    5. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
    6. Click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
    7. Click on "Have Disk".
    8. Click on "Browse".
    9. Navigate to "C:\android-sdk-windows\google-usb_driver" and select "android_winusb.inf".
    10. Click on "Android ADB Interface". NOTE: You will get an Update Driver Warning, click on "Yes".
    11. Once finished installing the driver, open the command prompt on the computer, and type in the following command to sure everything is setup properly: adb devices
    12. If it lists any devices, everything is fine and you are finished. If not, you may have further issues and will have to do further research on your own.

teddyearp likes this.
  21. galpdawg

None

Jul 5, 2010
    Jersey
    now when i do fastboot oem unlock i get fat boot is not recognized as an internal or external command, operble program or batch file

22. galpdawg

None

Jul 5, 2010
    Jersey
    got it, i forgot to download the fastboot unlock file.

23. jdaud

jdaud Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 30, 2010
    Ohio
    This worked, thanks. However now initiating the fastboot boot boot.img is bootlooping. Suggestions ?

Does this reboot take a good bit of time?

24. Travillion

None

Oct 13, 2011
    State College, PA
    Thanks. I did this, and adb devices lists my device. But once I go into the bootloader, it's no longer listed (with adb or fastboot).Argg!!!

foo likes this.
  25. JRowMe

JRowMe Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    try a different driver? best guess...? and install it the same way

Tags: