1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

[International / GSM] Installing CWM the easy way (must be rooted)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by esmith818, Dec 18, 2011.

1. esmith818

esmith818 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Web to Print Content Developer
    NC
    NOTE: Perhaps this is obvious to many of you, but I was scratching my head for a few hours trying to figure out how to follow the instructions for the "more detailed" methods before finding this solution. :)

I rooted my Nexus the day I bought it but at the time did not install CWM. I wanted to install CWM this morning so that I could proceed with making backups and begin flashing custom ROMs but the link in the stickied All Things Root Guide takes you to an XDA page which seems to incorporate the rooting process with the CWM install and leaves out some of the more basic steps (I'm not a noob, but I pale in comparison to those who figure this stuff out for us!).

Instead, I followed several links to wind up on a different XDA page, Flashing Your First Galaxy Nexus ROM, which is very detailed and breaks each step out. Under step 5, which details how to install CWM, note 1 indicates that you can bypass the "hard" method by installing the ROM Manager app from the market and have it flash CWM automatically.

After that, I used root explorer to change the name of recovery-from-boot.p (in system/) to recovery-from-boot.p.bak as mentioned in another thread (I learned long ago never to delete anything!). Then I booted into CWM recovery (power off, then volume up/down plus power), pressed volume up twice to get to "boot into recovery" and pressed the power button which took me into CWM's recovery menu (success!).

From there it was easy to make my first backup and dig into custom ROMs! This method (assuming you have previously unlocked the phone's boot loader) allows me to bypass reconnecting to a PC and using the SDK for loading CWM (which is preferable since I use primarily a Mac). Perhaps it will help someone else who is scratching their head trying to figure out how to get CWM loaded without staring at an android with a red triangle over his opened belly!

P.S. Support the devs who come up with the apps to make this so much easier by purchasing the premium copies of apps like ROMManager and RootExpolorer. ;)

Advertisement

nazz, drpotter2807 and Slubgob like this.
  2. civicsisedan

civicsisedan Android Expert
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    Army
    Maryland
    Congrats you made a new thread posting what is already in multiple other threads..

3. ttaylor0024

ttaylor0024 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 2, 2010
    Kansas, United States
    Couldn't you just install ROM Manager and press, "Flash Clockwork Mod Recovery"? Seems pretty easy to me...

4. esmith818

esmith818 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Web to Print Content Developer
    NC
    My bad. I looked for an easier solution than what was linked in the stickies and didn't find anything. Consider this thread a confirmation of what others have said before me. ;)

That's essentially what I did. Did I miss that post on AF?

5. Slubgob

Slubgob Member
    None

Dec 8, 2011
    Said as a noob who had just posted a nervous question very similar to the one the OP spontaneously answered:

:) Thank you! :)

6. WheresTheBeef

WheresTheBeef Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    Philly
    Hey you were a newb once too, so show a little patience.

7. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Quoted for truth!!!

8. drpotter2807

drpotter2807 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 13, 2010
    Deep South
    I also missed that tidbit in all the detailed versions... when I finally figured it out I could have kicked myself!!!

Thanks for making it clearer to others!

Tags: