1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[International / GSM] Just rooted my galaxy nexus

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pastelsoda, Dec 20, 2011.

1. pastelsoda

pastelsoda Lurker

I am new to this whole rooting? thing on phones, and I just rooted it, what can I now do with it? Can somebody help me get started?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. reggie16

reggie16 Member

i have yet to get my phone yet. getting it for xmas. But im interested in what the advantages are to rooting it?

3. mobgob

mobgob Member

Visit the Samsung Galaxy all things root section at the top of this page. It has lots of guides and valuable info for us rooters. The next thing would be to pick a rom of your choice and flash it to your phone. Welcome to the world of rooting and the almost limitless customizations that you will be able to do with your phone.

4. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert

Congratulations! I moves this thread to the All Things Root section where you'll get more responses.

Now that you're rooted you can install custom ROMs, Kernels as well as have access to root level files.

Yeahha likes this.
  5. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Welcome to AF Pastelsoda :D

To expand on what WormDoes has already listed some benefits of rooting include: Overclocking with custom kernels, use apps that allow you to block ads, make full backups of your phone with custom recoveries, Use backup programs to allow you to make backups of your app data so if you factory reset or uninstall something you can restore the app and data, uninstall system apps you do not want (use caution), flash custom verison of the OS that allow for more customization than stock (ROMs)...

There are plenty of reasons to root and plenty of things you can do with root access. I have not listed all the ones I know and I am sure there are many I am not aware as well. I am sure people will add to the list I have created :D

6. reggie16

reggie16 Member

Im a beginner as well. what exactly are kernels and custom ROMS? what do you do with them?

7. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Very basic explanation here.

Kernels are the software component that guides the cpu. It determines clock speed, how processes are handled, and voltage.

Custom roms are version of the operating system you can run that can include features that are not present stock.

8. alki

alki Lurker

will i continue to get software updates from google via my phone if it's rooted? Or do i have to manually flash ROMs each time there is an update?

9. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert

Yes, if you want the update you'd have to flash the updated ROM that the developer has released. You can ONLY accept OTA updates if you have a stock recovery, not ClockWork Mod. Usually the dev community will have access to the update before the general public.

Yeahha likes this.
  10. pastelsoda

pastelsoda Lurker

by the way, i heard there was a way to make your phone run as wifi device for laptops without paying the monthly subscription fee? is this true? if so how does this work?

11. VeryEvilAsh

VeryEvilAsh Member

I had my Bolt rooted but haven't done my Nexus yet. Is there a rom that will enable me to force 4G and 4G only??

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews