• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[International / GSM] Keyboard Ico Wont Show Keyboard

jottery

Lurker
Dec 15, 2013
Using a Google / Samsung Nexus
Android 4.2.2
3.03.31 Cyanogernmod

When I select a test field for typing it prompts me to use Google Voice input.
I cancel this and press the Keyboard Icon. It goes bright but nothing else happens (no keyboard appears)

Tried:
Clearing App Cache.
Factory reset.
Settings->Language and Input.
No setting for Keyboard. Google Voice Typing is enabled but the check box cannot be disabled and I cannot add any other input method.

Can't download another keyboard and cannot sign into my Google Ply account (no keyboard - sigh)

Spent several hours on this. Hopefully someone has a clue.

It sounds like you'll either need to reboot to recovery and reflash the ROM, or the gapps package?

If you reflash CM, you should just be able to install over the top without the need for wiping anything.

Thanks for the reply.

Does CM mean CyanogenMod? What is gapps? Any guide as to how I do reflash, reeboot to recovery or reinstall these.

Upvote 0
Yeah, CM means CyanogenMod. Gapps is the Google apps package. Cyanogen aren't allowed to include certain google apps in built with their ROMs so they have to be flashed separately.

Did the phone come with CM on it? I'm presuming that because you don't know what recovery etc is, you didn't install cyanogen yourself? (Sorry if that presumption is wrong :eek:)

The CM team actually a desktop installer which you can run on your PC and it will basically install everything for you: CyanogenMod | Downloads

Follow the instructions there, see if it makes sense/works. Ask again if you have any questions :)

Upvote 0
No, if the CM installer doesn't work, you'll have to do things manually.

It's a bit lengthy, but not difficult.

Before I type out the instructions, are there any zip files on your SD Card, what are their names?

Also, how did your phone get in this state? Did you install CM yourself? If yes, did you take a backup before hand you can restore in clowckwork/TWRP?

Upvote 0
Phone was given to me by my son (thanks a lot!)

He is a tech head and doesn't know how to fix the issue.

You have already been kind enough to reply to my questions.

At this point I am just installing ADB (android Data Bridge) and then I will try a clead Android 4 install on the device.

Please don't worry about my issue for now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones