1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[International / GSM] Looking for some friendly advice.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by aaronstrong, Dec 21, 2011.

1. aaronstrong

aaronstrong Well-Known Member

I have managed to unlock the bootloader and now want to put on CWR and root it. I have some knowledge with phones i had a DX and had it rooted and custom roms on it. Athlough i am not very familiar with adb or fastboot. I have read all the instructions on how to do the CWR and root but am very confused on how to and which one i have to do first, and how to use the commands properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

You will be putting the commands into the command prompt just like you did for unlocking the bootloader.

ADB is used when the phone is powered on and Android is running, fastboot is used when the phone is in the bootloader.

What parts of the instructions are you having issues with?

3. aaronstrong

Thought fastboot was in the SDK manager and it doesnt work. So i dont know if i actually have fastboot and the instructions i am stuck on C. choose your installation platform to run the installation script:

- Windows:

+ double click the install-superboot-windows.bat file

4. aaronstrong

When i download the r3-galaxynexus-superboot file do i extract then place on my phone? I have alot of questions im sorry still fairly new to all this.

5. aaronstrong

Ok scratch that got it rooted now trying to install CWR. Once i have it rooted can i install CWR through ROM manager? Or do i have to manualy flash it to my phone?

6. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

you can actually do it either way. I find it easier to just install Rom Manager from the Market and flash CWM from it. Then it allows you to reboot into CWM.

Now your CWM won't stick after a reboot unless you do a couple more tricks. Or if it isn't too much of a pain to you , you can just flash it through Rom Manager each time you want to use it. Which is actually what i do.

7. aaronstrong

So i place the recovery file on the phone and go into Rom manager and do what i have never used Rom manager before. And if your talking about renaming the system/reboot thing to .bak from using root manager ive done that.

8. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

install Rom Manager from the market.
    open it.
    Select Flash Clockwork Recovery
    Done. you have CWM installed.

aaronstrong likes this.
  9. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

Don't forget that custom recovery (ClockworkMod) will also support adb--comes in very handy when you need to push a file over, etc.

Cheers!

Yeahha likes this.
  10. aaronstrong

Not going to lie i dont get what you mean. But good news is i have root and CWR installed and the new radios so i feel good thanks for all the help.

11. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

He means you can use ADB command while you are in CWM recovery. So if you need to push something say a CWM nandroid backup or a rom zip to the SD memory and are bootlooping because of a bad rom flash you can use ADB in CWM recovery to push it so you can restore.

scary alien likes this.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews