1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

[International / GSM] mkbootimg and unpackbootimg

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thehybridkiwi, Apr 29, 2012.

1. thehybridkiwi

thehybridkiwi Member
    None

Dec 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I came across these two files via this site. Apparently, they are official scripts compiled from the AOSP repository. I headed over there and was able to find the code base for mkbootimg, but not unpackbootimg.

Just looking for verification of validity pertaining to these two files (are they really official/legit?), and where I can find the code base for unpackbootimg.

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Just to make sure, you know that link (Google project) is specific to accessing HTC devices via their serial ports, right?

Although, that sounds like is secondary to your real question, which I'm guessing where can you get and see the details for how to unpack a boot image file?

If so, I think this is what you are looking for:

HOWTO: Unpack, Edit, and Re-Pack Boot Images - Android Wiki

The above link actually appears to be a mirror (or very similar) to this page:

HOWTO: Unpack, Edit, and Repack Boot Images - xda-developers

The unpacking of a boot image is actually a process, which can be scripted, but I don't think there is a .c source for that--just the Perl scripts you'll find at the bottom of the first post of the second link that I provided.

By the way, a boot image and a recovery image are identical in layout / format (they are both bootable images), so what works for the boot.img will also work for the recovery.img file.

Finally, if you are looking for a little background that's Galaxy Nexus-specific, see this link:

How to create an insecure boot image - MyDroidWorld

Cheers and good luck!

thehybridkiwi likes this.
  3. thehybridkiwi

thehybridkiwi Member
    None

Dec 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the links. I've come across them earlier in my research about insure boot images. At the time, I hadn't paid much attention to their references to mkbootimg since their links didn't work lol I guess the conclusion is that mkbootimg is a legit program built from the AOSP repository. unpackbootimg is probably a third-party script that does something along the lines of the Perl scripts referenced in the links above.

4. styelz

styelz Member
    None

Aug 6, 2012
    Arsend
    abootimg in linux repos seems to have the correct tools for this.

abootimg
    abootimg-pack-initrd
    abootimg-unpack-initrd

Much easier.

scary alien likes this.
Tags: