1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[International / GSM] New to rooting, could use some help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JE78, Apr 13, 2012.

1. JE78

JE78 Android Enthusiast

Just got the GNex CDMA last weekend and i'm really not happy with the battery life so I'm going to explore rooting. I was pointed to the Wugfresh one click unlock method to unlock and root the phone. Just wondering if that is a good place to start? I'm was planning on updating to 4.0.4 but now I think I might give Liquidsmooth 1.25 a try. I'm just wondering about what kernal to load or if i need to load one? Any other tips would be great. Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Android Expert

Stick with the kernel that 1.25 comes with. Its LeanKernel and one of the best, least for my phone it is. Make sure you upgrade your radio and bootloader up to 4.04 as well. I used the "Axiom" ROM's getready.zip to upgrade me to the right radios and bootloader.

3. JE78

JE78 Android Enthusiast

Thanks I'll check that out.

4. ALIHISGREAT

ALIHISGREAT Member

Wug's Toolkit is awesome; i used it last week without any issues, and i'm a complete unlocking/rooting n00b

I flashed Android Revolution HD 3.0.0 which is 4.0.4 based and uses the stock kernel (3.0.8 something?)

No complaints here.. phone runs a lot better and is more stable. (although i'm not sure if its Android revolution HD specifically or it's 4.0.4 source that makes the difference!)

5. ckelly33

ckelly33 Android Expert

If I root and switch to a custom ROM (like liquid smooth 1.25), will updates that typically come automatically - like the Google Play Market - still come automatically?

6. GrenW

GrenW Android Expert

All apps and market updates will be just as if you were on stock. The only auto updates you don't get are the OTA rom updates from Google

ckelly33 likes this.
  7. Oadbylad

Oadbylad Lurker

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews