1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

[International / GSM] New to the Nexus - Rooting questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by riverboat2001, Jan 9, 2012.

1. riverboat2001

riverboat2001 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    UK
    Hi All,

Very new to my Nexus.

In the past I've rooted and installed custom roms on both a HTC Desire and a Galaxy S2. This was to get rid of all the operators pre-installed crap and to enable more storage, also to just make phones more customisable.

Now with this phone I've got a few questions, as it's a Google phone, it will get (i hope) updated quite often, and as such, do we really need custom roms to get the best out of this phone?

Can i just root this phone and leave it without installing a custom rom, thus effectively making it a Vanilla type Rom? An so get the official OTA updates?

The reason for this question is that once a phone has been out for a while ROM development ceases as DEV's move onto the next latest / greatest phone!

I have awful network coverage (Three) in my office and cannot afford for it to get any worse, is rooting causing any 3g hsdpa issues?

Seeing as at some point i would play about with custom roms, am i right in thinking the best move would be to root it now? as rooting will cause a full data wipe.

Lastly, (off topic) which custom rom install the very least needed to get the phone up and running, thus giving me total choice over what i want to install from the market?

Cheers for your time?

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    riverboat2001,

Yes, you certainly can simply root it and not install a custom ROM. You can also simply soft-boot ClockworkMod to use to flash the su.zip file (see the "ClockworkMod Method" section in this thread:

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/452146-how-root-gsm-hspa-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html

If you keep your stock recovery installed, then you'll receive and be able to successfully apply any OTA that comes around (although you'll temporarily lose root and will simply have to re-root). You can, of course, easily re-flash the stock recovery, too, so that's not too big of a hurdle.

Its the bootloader unlocking process that wipes your entire device. You do have to unlock the bootloader in order to root, so doing this early-on before you get too much stuff that you care about on the SD card makes sense.

Check the other threads here in the root section for good advice on custom ROMs--I've been too busy to flash one for my phone, LOL ;) :).

Cheers to you, too, and I hope that helps :).

3. eddieruko

eddieruko Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 9, 2011
    design engineer & program management
    TX
    welcome to the gnex, riverboat! i think you'll find that this is a great phone... and one that won't be ignored by devs. hope this helps!

Nope. I actually liked stock for quite some time and think it is (in large part) the way google intended it to be. Just can't do all the fun stuff without root privileges.

Yes. Stock ICS (which even its unrooted form is considered "vanilla" with no custom UI overlay) is great. Again, there are a lot of mods out there already (toggles, kernels, settings, launchers). Many of them can simply be flashed right over AOSP builds (i.e. you don't need a custom ROM to get them, and if you're on axiOm for example, you can get the same mods as someone running RootzBoat or AOKP ROMs, generally speaking).

If you keep the stock recover (i.e. do not install Clockworkmod Recovery) you are able to get OTA updates, but they will break root. CWM is much easier to work with, and you will likely get the update faster by flashing it yourself (available through devs and their ROMs) than waiting on Google/VZW

I don't think you'll run into this issue with the gnex :D

Rooting won't do anything aside from granting you privileges to otherwise locked parts of your phone, so rooting alone should not cause your signal to get worse. Custom ROMs that move away from AOSP in the future may have other issues, but I've flashed several ROMs and have experience stable signal (as poor as it is here at work in a cement dungeon) across all of them.

Short Answer. Yes - Unlock and Root now. When you want to later you will have to wipe.

Longer-ish Answer. Unlocking the bootloader will cause data wipe. You can unlock the gnex without having root access (technically speaking). Generally you would wipe data/reset when you flash a new ROM just to be safe (recommended).

getting the ROM installed is "simple" once you're unlocked and rooted. assuming you have CWM. download > backup > wipe > install from sd

you will have acess to the very same Android Market, whether you are rooted or not - whether you have a custom ROM or not. take your time and read through the threads stickied at the beginning of this section... there are a number of ROMs to choose from, many of which "look" the same (ie like your current ICS looks), with similar features but different approaches.

riverboat2001 and scary alien like this.
  4. eddieruko

eddieruko Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 9, 2011
    design engineer & program management
    TX
    :eek:I just realized that I wasn't in the VZW root section. Nonetheless, the same points should apply with Three or any carrier for that matter.

oops.:rolleyes:

5. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    That's okay, Eddie, you can post wherever you like :).

Informative, helpful answers are always appreciated (and yours above certainly was all three).

Cheers!

Tags: