• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[International / GSM] OTA updates on a rooted nexus

So as I understand it it's not automatically pushed correct? And also you have to root your phone every time you update your phone? That sounds pretty inconvenient to me. Isn't there a way I can have my cake and eat it too?

the best way is to wait for a dev to release a deodexed/rooted version of the OTA. it usually only takes a couple of days, at the most. in fact, the devs are usually ahead. you can find plenty of 4.0.3 builds as well as the 4.0.3 cell radio in the all things root section already. :cool:

edited to add: moving this to the all things root section. you should get much faster responses here.

Reactions: AlexKP
Upvote 0
So as I understand it it's not automatically pushed correct? And also you have to root your phone every time you update your phone? That sounds pretty inconvenient to me. Isn't there a way I can have my cake and eat it too?

Well, the OTA file itself will be automatically downloaded...you should be prompted as to whether or not you'd like to install it (but OTAs for our Droid X's were eventually forced pushed and installed without our explicit consent--not sure if that'll happen for our GNex's).

Yes, you'll have to re-root after an OTA :(.

I thought the GNex was a developer phone which can be easily rooted. Why would an OTA unroot it? I always thought the OTA unroot was carrier BS to make our phones more to their liking, therefore a developer phone should be fine rooted in their minds.

I think that the OTA will un-root you simply because of the process of installing and resecuring all of the other files in /system/bin and /system/app. I don't think its a nefarious, explicit function that's being done to break root, its just that its probably easier to chmod (change permissions) en-mass on files in those directories that are no longer relevant for the new version of the OS and our root stuff gets disabled along with it (I think they're still there, just not executable).

Certainly, changing the OTA installer wouldn't be that hard, but its probably safest on Google's part not to deviate too far from a standard installer (OTAs can be tricky enough as it is).

Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones