• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[International / GSM] Rooting my phone as i type NEED HELP

Lohung

Android Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2011
Pittsburgh
i am rooting my phone... right now.. i can see it.. Poor little green dude with his insides showing..

question i have should i FLASH the CWM ot the partition or just load it. i dont understand the benefits of one or the other.

also

lets say i have to turn my phone in cause something is wrong. i am gonna relock my phone obviously and restore factory default. will flashing/not flashing CWM to my phone make any difference in this. and will getting the updates from google/vzw still come? because i want to still get them.. i understand i will have to re-unlock the phone but i wanna make sure my phone is running as it should

If you are wanting to use roms then flash CWM. If you want to accept OTA updates then softboot CWM.

If you get an OTA it should not lock the bootloader you will just need to softboot CWM again and flash SU.zip to regain root access.

If you do flash CWM and then need to turn the phone in you can easily flash back to stock then lock the bootloader.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones