1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[International / GSM] setcpu / cpu tuner or Rom toolbox pro

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pank, Dec 23, 2011.

1. pank

pank Guest

Basically just looking to use a cpu app to save battery when the screen is off. Has anybody tried cpu tuner or Rom toolbox pro? Just curious if anybody has and if their results were any better or if the app works any better on the Gnex....

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Android Expert

I've been using SetCPU with the Screen Off profile since I got my GNex set at 700 - 350 MHz. I actually turned the clock speed down to 920 MHz a few days ago and it made a huge different with battery life. I'm sure a lot of people will say what's the point of doing that with a high end device but I don't see any difference in performance at all. I was kind of surprised.

[​IMG]

pank and scary alien like this.
  3. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

Airmaxx23,

Wow, its been a while since I've run SetCPU...used it on my Eris all the time, but never for my DX.

Thought I'd give it a go again after remembering about it from this thread and your post. I'm mainly interested in underclocking so save battery, too.

By the way, did you mean 920 MHz (I can only get my slider to stick at 920 and not 950)?

I've added three profiles so far:

- charging: 1200 MHz max / 350 MHz min

- screen-off: 700 MHz max / 350 MHz min

- temp > 45-degrees: 920 MHz max / 350 MHz min (w/audible warning)

I'm anxious to see how the battery life is...

Cheers!

4. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Android Expert

Yes, I meant 920 MHz, sorry about that. I used it on my DX as well, it really helps with battery life a lot. Let me know how it works out for you.

scary alien likes this.
  5. WishinItWas

WishinItWas Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I see the goal of what you trying but this is stock and my phone is not really running strong in the cpu normally

6. toker11

toker11 Well-Known Member

its been awhile since i have used setcpu...i have these profiles set up like you guys do...but im only rooted with unlocked bootloader. may seem like a dumb question...but do i need to be running a ROM or certain Kernal for setcpu to work?

7. scary alien

VIP Member

I'm using SetCPU on a stock, rooted 4.0.2 setup.

You are good-to-go! :)

Cheers!

8. toker11

can we go any higher than 12000? i didnt mess with kernals with my X. i think kernals will allow me to overclock higher than that right?

9. scary alien

VIP Member

I think so, but it depends on the kernel... Francisco Franco's kernel for example doesn't support any higher overclocking at all at this point (he feels its pretty danged fast without needing to do that).

Also, I think there are ROM/version requirements (i.e., you might need to be running a 4.0.3 custom ROM in order to install one of these--the installation instructions in the kernel devs' guides are all over the map (i.e., some are very sparse)). So, I would advise reading through their threads to see what gotchas and requirements there are in case they are not covered in the OP.

Hope that helps :).

Cheers!

10. toker11

thats what i figured. im just antsy to get this thing hangin out on the grid and levitating next to me as i walk down the street! sounds like some good things are coming! thanks man

scary alien likes this.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews