1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

[International / GSM] Updating yet not updated?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bungi, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Bungi

Bungi Newbie
    None

Mar 18, 2012
    Hey!
    Some time ago, after I've bought my GNex I decided to root it and get the yakju version. Both seemed to have worked perfectly fine, I had root access in terminal, wasn't so sure about the version but it wasn't really all that important.
    Today my phone notified me about an available update from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4. I said to myself - why the hell not - and just proceeded. After the reboot the phone seemed bricked, there was a red exclamation mark above open android symbol and the phone was not responding to anything.
    I had to pull the battery out and was hoping for the best. The phone did boot up properly (it took a while though) but in 4.0.2 version. Being a curious person I decided to check for updates and now I was informed there are none available.

My question is: what has happened? How can I check whether or not I have the yakju distro and if I do, should I update the phone in some other way to avoid this from happening again?

Thanks in advance,
    Bungi

PS. This is my first android phone. I still may not know a lot about the OS so please be patient about my questions ;)

Advertisement

2. GrenW

GrenW Android Expert
    None

Apr 16, 2010
    UK
    When you rooted it did you install ClockworkMod recovery? One of the outcomes of doing this is that OTA updates will fail.

To check which version (Yakju etc) you have, download GN Official Update Checker from the Market.

Also to update to 4.0.4 try searching on here for instructions on how to manually update. It may be different depending on whether you have CWM installed.

Bungi and scary alien like this.
  3. Bungi

Bungi Newbie
    None

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks for your answer ;)

I think I did install ClockworkMod recovery, will check it soon enough.

Thanks for info about distro :) Should any other option fail I will find a proper way to update it manually :)

4. TheOozyman

TheOozyman Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 8, 2012
    Male
    Bungi likes this.
  5. Bungi

Bungi Newbie
    None

Mar 18, 2012
    Quick info: GN Official Update Checker doesn't exist anymore. I found Android System Info though and checked everything easily ;)

In terms of updating - the HOWTO was very easy to follow. The only problem have now is restoring my root. I wanted to do it manually by ADB as stated in the link:
    So I connected with phone turned on via ADB and received
    Code (Text):
    1. 10|shell@android:/ $ chmod -R 4755 /system/bin/su                              
    2. Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: Read-only file system
    Then I recalled I should do it while in CWM but to no avail, I could not connect:
    Code (Text):
    1. :~/telefon/nexus/sdk-tools$ ./adb-linux devices
    2. List of devices attached
    3. ????????????    no permissions
    How can I do it now?
    I checked if by any chance maybe I had root but after typing "su" in terminal on the phone I just got "permission denied".

Thanks in advance ;)

EDIT:
    Got it working. I just turned the phone in CWM recovery mode and used the same su.zip I used the first time while rooting. Worked like a charm :)

6. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Bungi,

I think you can use the sudo command to overcome the permissions issue for adb. For example:

Code (Text):
    1. sudo ./adb-linux devices
    Glad you got it going, though! :)

Cheers!

7. TheOozyman

TheOozyman Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 8, 2012
    Male
    NICE! For future reference though - its super easy to restore root with Wug's Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit

And although you need the different superuser for 4.0.4 you can easily find that online and place it in a folder on the internal SD

This lovely guide by @scaryalien has the download for the proper superuser for 4.0.4 too :)

How to Root GSM Galaxy Nexus

scary alien likes this.
Tags: