• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Hello

Hello and welcome to Android Forums,. S4, ATR, Hawker! :shakehands:

:ciao:
Well, after much pressure from the kids to upgrade their phones, I dived straight in at the deep and and also upgraded my splendid S2 to an S4.
:beer:

Now does anyone know of any decent rooting guides?
:aetsch:

In answer to your question... errr, let me think... :stupid:

(Need more coffee... lots more! :coffee: Hawker would have to pick a day when I have a steaming hangover, to join and ask questions)

Reactions: Hawker
Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to Android Forums,. S4, ATR, Hawker! :shakehands:

In answer to your question... errr, let me think... :stupid:

(Need more coffee... lots more! :coffee: Hawker would have to pick a day when I have a steaming hangover, to join and ask questions)

I'm all rooted and philz recoveried up butty, so you can continue your hangover in peace!
:D

General gripe tho, why am I finding it so difficult to get into recovery mode?
Takes me about 5 goes at times.
I'll have to install a 4-way reboot and fast!....

Upvote 0
I'm all rooted and philz recoveried up butty, so you can continue your hangover in peace!

General gripe tho, why am I finding it so difficult to get into recovery mode?
Takes me about 5 goes at times.
I'll have to install a 4-way reboot and fast!....

Using ROM Manager with PhilZ, see the PhilZ CWM Recovery - Dummies Guide, #1.7, boots me up in about 10 sec's.

I would suggest, when you have finished playing with stock, getting off the old ME2 ROM and get on to MGA, stock, modified, unbranded. See #1.2 of the DjeMBeY ROM's i9505 - Dummies Guide.

My brain hurts!

Upvote 0
Right!... on 3rd coffee now and I'm doing shapes and colours! ;)

So, Hawker old boy! You emerged from your cave on Mount Doom in the Welsh Mountains and gone and got yourself a Samsung Galaxy S4, i9505, I presume.

I can now disclose why Hawker took so long to join us on the S4....

It stems from the fact that in Wales, a small principality in the UK, there are a lot of people with the same surnames, like Jones, Morgan, Davies, etc: Something you'll know if you've ever seen The Englishman who went up a Hill and came down a Mountain or Zulu. We won't go into the reasons for that just now. Therefore, to distinguish between them they have nicknames or add-ons like, Morgan the Goat, Jones the Builder, Postman the Pat, etc:

Unfortunately, Hawker is known as, Hawker the Flasher!

Anyway, long story short, he needed me to confirm why he was known as this. I might have been able to help him a lot quicker if he'd told me that the police in Wales are called, "Heddlu".

... and that is a true story... teetotallers honour!

Anyway, back on topic. You've no doubt discovered that there is not a great deal of difference between the SGSII that, I hasten to add, was/is IMHO, a blooming good phone, and the S4.

Samsung have actually done all us modders a favour by building a phone and giving us the battery that can deal not only with Android 4.2.2 but also all the extra features and bloatware that Samsung have added on...

Because this means that when the bloatware is removed, depending on your definition of bloatware, you have a stonking, powerhouse, of a phone and battery.

Things you may notice, coming from the SGSII...

1. No combined root kernel and recovery so far.

2. Modems on the i9505 have to be flashed via Odin.

3. CWM is replaced by ROM Manager

4. Some things that Samsung have added are actually very good. For instance, their camera is far superior to the stock, Android 4.3 Special Edition, camera as there are a lot more, easy to access, settings and you can store stuff on the extSDcard which you cannot do on the stock Android SE.

5. The S4 has an LED indicator. :thumb:

6. ES Explorer doesn't, "seem", to offer read/write system changes and I'm using Root Explorer. Update... should read, "special permissions".

There are other things that I'm sure I've forgotten... :dontknow:

(P.S. Syd seems to have lost his Kiss of Death, (KoD), with ROMs and kernels and has therefore shown a distinct yellow streak when it comes to testing anything a bit, "iffy", in case he spoils his nice S4.)

Upvote 0
If you use an app such as shortcut maker and search for torch light, you have a hidden setting to allow you to use the torch with the screen off.

This is a stock method, but I don't know what firmware it becomes available from(I had found it on mdm, but it didn't work, mf8 it did work but became temperamental! Regardless I now have it coming on by touching home button on lockscreen thanks to 3 minute mod :) )

Just another of the little add ons on stock :)

Upvote 0
That reminds me, before anyone else starts making demands on you...

I need, pretty please with a cherry on top, a transparent notification bar with a centred clock and the round battery with the % in the middle that is a, "tart", mod that I can flash to any build version via custom recovery. Same as the one I had to grovel for on the SGSII.

No pressure old boy... tomorrow will do! ;)

Upvote 0
That reminds me, before anyone else starts making demands on you...

I need, pretty please with a cherry on top, a transparent notification bar with a centred clock and the round battery with the % in the middle that is a, "tart", mod that I can flash to any build version via custom recovery. Same as the one I had to grovel for on the SGSII.

No pressure old boy... tomorrow will do! ;)
Have you tried 3 minute mod?

Upvote 0
Lots of familiar faces here. I should be joining you all next week as I'm ordering a gs4 tomorrow when I get paid. I'm kind of like a bad smell you just can't get rid of:D

Somebody pass me a can of air freshener... quick! ;)

Shotty... the only Guide on Android Forums to make Apple Maps navigation look good.

This is de ja vue from 2 years ago.

You're just a Samsung whore!

You could have left out the bit about Samsung!

A short attention span is one thing you could never accu

Extract from Hawker's wedding speech... "I would just like to say to Kerri, my new wife, that I.... oooh, look! A squirrel!" ;)

Upvote 0
Dam this thing looks sexy in black, I'd forgotten how much I disliked my S3 in white until I compared it to this. Rooting went without a glitch, well after I managed to find the developer options. Who'd have thought one of ironass' guides would turn out to be useful:p

Anyway now to find a ROM and theme. I'm considering wanamlite as it was a solid all rounder on my S3, to be honest the only reason I stopped using it was because sale came along and stole the show so maybe time to give out another chance. Or on the other hand I might try something completely new.:)

Upvote 0
Welcome aboard Shotty!

Rooting went without a glitch, well after I managed to find the developer options. Who'd have thought one of ironass' guides would turn out to be useful:p

That had better be another beer in the ironass beer bank! :cheers:

sale came along and stole the show so maybe time to give out another chance. Or on the other hand I might try something completely new.:)

If you liked sale's NEAT ROM's then have a look at the stock, modified, DjeMBeY ROM, MGA. #1.2 in the DjeMBeY ROM's i9505 - Dummies Guide.

Reactions: Shotgun84
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones