• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] How to delete system backups

supersi

Jul 6, 2012
Recently I custom rom'd my Galaxy S3 (16GB). It's working fine. I've actually forgotten which custom rom I applied so my 1st question is how can I identify what I'm running?

My main question is how do I delete system backups stored on the phone's built-in memory? The reason I decided to backup this way is because I've tried and tried and tried again to get both my pc's to recognise my phone via usb. No drivers seem to work, so I can't use Kies to backup. Shame on you Samsung!!

Anyway, today I purchased a 16gb micro sd card specifically to store backups on, but I think I made a wrong turn when I rebooted into CWM-Based Recovery/backup and restore/backup to internal sd card. To backup to an external card (i imagine they mean, inserted into the phone's micro sd slot), should I have chosen 'backup' instead of 'backup to internal sd card'?

Anyway, as a result I've now got little system memory left because the backup is on my phone and not the external card.

Could someone please recommend the correct procedure to make a full system backup to an external card?

1. Settings, about device, build number.. That's your Rom.
2. System/nandroid backup. It depends which recovery you're using. CWM based will be in the clockworkmod folder in any file explorer. If you're using teamwin recovery it'll be in twrp.
3. Cool its cwm based so delete that backup and you're good to go.

Can I ask which version of the s3 you have and I'll move this over to the relevant root forum:)

Upvote 0
Recently I custom rom'd my Galaxy S3 (16GB). It's working fine. I've actually forgotten which custom rom I applied so my 1st question is how can I identify what I'm running?

My main question is how do I delete system backups stored on the phone's built-in memory? The reason I decided to backup this way is because I've tried and tried and tried again to get both my pc's to recognise my phone via usb. No drivers seem to work, so I can't use Kies to backup. Shame on you Samsung!!

Anyway, today I purchased a 16gb micro sd card specifically to store backups on, but I think I made a wrong turn when I rebooted into CWM-Based Recovery/backup and restore/backup to internal sd card. To backup to an external card (i imagine they mean, inserted into the phone's micro sd slot), should I have chosen 'backup' instead of 'backup to internal sd card'?

Anyway, as a result I've now got little system memory left because the backup is on my phone and not the external card.

Could someone please recommend the correct procedure to make a full system backup to an external card?
Hello, to find out what rom you are on, go to menu/settings/about phone/ and look at your "Build number"

And as far as your backup, use a file browser such as Root Explorer, or ES File manager to either delete the backup or move it to the external sd card.

There should be an option in the CWM recovery to backup to external storage.:)

btw, what carrier are you on? The reason I ask, I would like to move this thread to your carriers root forum, that's all:)

Edit: got the big ninja chop by shotgun!! :p

Reactions: Shotgun84
Upvote 0
PLEASE HELP ME!

I rooted my galaxy s3, using odin3-1.85 and CF-Root-SGS3-v6.3\CF-Root-SGS3-v6.3.tar. all results were good, but it stays on black screen after booting. i can still hear the start up sound, and the blue led above is ON. I dont know what is my carrier but it came from germany and it says it is made from vietnam.

can anyone please guide me..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones