• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] [how to] get a rom to your sd card if your phone wont boot

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
ok so this is REALLY weird.

I went to eat dinner, phone was off as far as I knew but plugged into my PC.

I come back and its in CWM v6.0.3.2

before we celebrate however it's frozen, volume buttons dont move anything, touch screen, etc. I'm afraid to reboot it lol.

ok so I rebooted it (into recovery) and it gets past the splash screen but then the screen goes black, with the home and back button illuminated, I have no idea what this means? I'll wait and see if it ever goes into recovery.

edit: can't replicate getting into CWM. :/

Upvote 0
sorry for my late replies... im somewhat in the same boat,lol. i work from 7:30 to anywhere from 6-8 :eek:

sorry, yes it is the correct md5 and checked with a hasher.

I also tried the touch/standard versions just for the hell of it.

I just tried the

fastboot boot imagename.img

when I do this the phone reboots, but not into recovery, if I vol down + power and try to reboot into recovery the same thing happens, hangs on entering recovery, and then reboots into a boot loop.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by flashing a matching boot image.

where do I get the boot.img from? extract it from one of the ROM's?

sorry for such long delayed reply's, I work the third shift :/

I appreciate any and all feedback
just to make sure were on the same page when you tried fastboot boot imagename.img you were replacing imagename with your recovery,correct?

uh in the other thread, Scotty states the bootloader must be UN-locked, I'm not trying to restore to stock, I'm trying to get the phone in a state where it can boot any OS, not even running an RUU (since there isn't one for tmob) its just the RUU flash screen I believe.

also I can't flash a recovery, tried numerous times, hence stock recovery.
in the other thread,the "RUU" in question was just the system,boot,and recovery images from the dev edition software i was at the time running on my m7.

just a bit of clarification: while s on,an unlocked bootloader lets you have access to those partitions. you can flash home made,unsigned files containg any combo of boot,system,and recovery.

in order for the mini ruu to flash,the bootloader must be unlocked,so the unsigned file can flash.

you cannot flash any signed files while unlocked and s on. hence the somewhat seemingly contradictory statement,that the bootloader must be relocked or locked in order to run a full,signed ruu.

bootloader locked=mini ruu fails signiture verification

bootloader unlocked=full,signed ruu fails with a 99 unknown error
ok so this is REALLY weird.

I went to eat dinner, phone was off as far as I knew but plugged into my PC.

I come back and its in CWM v6.0.3.2

before we celebrate however it's frozen, volume buttons dont move anything, touch screen, etc. I'm afraid to reboot it lol.

ok so I rebooted it (into recovery) and it gets past the splash screen but then the screen goes black, with the home and back button illuminated, I have no idea what this means? I'll wait and see if it ever goes into recovery.

edit: can't replicate getting into CWM. :/
hmm. that is wierd. what youve described is like what i experirenced when trying to boot an incompatible recovery. i feel like something on your PC is interfearing with the flash,while lookin successful in the cmd window,is not actually fully flashing a complete,working image.

have you tried any of this on a different PC?

Upvote 0
sorry for my late replies... im somewhat in the same boat,lol. i work from 7:30 to anywhere from 6-8 :eek:

just to make sure were on the same page when you tried fastboot boot imagename.img you were replacing imagename with your recovery,correct?

yes sir that is correct.

in the other thread,the "RUU" in question was just the system,boot,and recovery images from the dev edition software i was at the time running on my m7.

just a bit of clarification: while s on,an unlocked bootloader lets you have access to those partitions. you can flash home made,unsigned files containg any combo of boot,system,and recovery.

in order for the mini ruu to flash,the bootloader must be unlocked,so the unsigned file can flash.

you cannot flash any signed files while unlocked and s on. hence the somewhat seemingly contradictory statement,that the bootloader must be relocked or locked in order to run a full,signed ruu.

bootloader locked=mini ruu fails signiture verification

bootloader unlocked=full,signed ruu fails with a 99 unknown error

hmm. that is wierd. what youve described is like what i experirenced when trying to boot an incompatible recovery. i feel like something on your PC is interfearing with the flash,while lookin successful in the cmd window,is not actually fully flashing a complete,working image.

have you tried any of this on a different PC?

I haven't yet.

I know that these things aren't perfect (pc's phones, etc) but I did all of the orig flashing, rooting on the same pc I'll definitely try it on another one to root out the possibility of it being PC related.

Upvote 0
so after flashing the recovery normally and not using fastboot boot it immediately goes into recovery, but I can't do anything vol buttons dont work, touch etc.

at the bottom it states something like

E: cannot mount recovery/log

and 3-4 other lines, but I can't read them because the phone reboots and then once again goes into a boot loop.

I'm losing hope :(

fastboot boot doesn't work either.

Upvote 0
Wat recovery image did you try?

The phone will still boot to a rooted OS,correct?

CWM touch and normal.

then tried your dumped "miniruu" and got this error

C:\miniadb_m7>fastboot flash zip 1.29.1540.3miniruu_tmoible_.zip
sending 'zip' (425824 KB)...
OKAY [ 21.522s]
writing 'zip'...
(bootloader) zip header checking...
FAILED (remote: 32 header error)
finished. total time: 21.695s
C:\miniadb_m7>

and no i havent been able to boot into a rooted OS :thinking:

all the phone does is bootloop if powered on, and if booted into recovery it hangs and boot loops.

Upvote 0
CWM touch and normal.

OKAY [ 21.522s]
writing 'zip'...

all the phone does is bootloop if powered on, and if booted into recovery it hangs and boot loops.

have you tried factory reset from the bootloader ?

Upvote 0
CWM touch and normal.

OKAY [ 21.522s]
writing 'zip'...

other instances ive come across with the "remote: 32 header error" hAve been a bad download. ill try and download the miniruu and see if anything has changed in it.

i was under the impression that the phone still booted,we were just having prollems with recovery :eek:

hmm would I be able to S-off and run one of the international RUU's possibly?

there is not a way to s-off that i know of without an OS. if we had a stable,working recovery,then maybe.

if we could boot to something,i was going to suggest dumping the boot and recovery partitions,and take a look. still seems to me the images are becoming corrupt somehow.

but if we cant boot to recovery or the OS,its maybe about time to throw in the towel... im unfortunately about out of ideas. :(

Upvote 0
scotty I greatly appreciate the time and effort you spent trying to resolve this, I'll chock this up to it being a "me" thing.

I tend to find new ways to puzzle people with the things I have managed, cars, phones, etc.

hope your 4th is a good one.

hope yours is a good one as well... sorry we couldnt get it figured out. :( likely some sort of hardware failure,as you dont sound like youve done anything out of the ordinary to it.

Upvote 0
so going to update this.

I went out of town for the 4th and come back to a working phone...I have no idea how to explain it except voodoo lol.

tried one time for the hell of it to boot into recovery and it freaking worked, wiped and restored a sense based rom (ARD) and EVERYTHING worked.

again I have no idea how this worked but it did.

went to flash ParanoidAndroid and everything works as well but had a hard reset and because im terrified of those went straight back to the sense stuff.

should I still go thru the hassle of returning it?

Upvote 0
so going to update this.

I went out of town for the 4th and come back to a working phone...I have no idea how to explain it except voodoo lol.

tried one time for the hell of it to boot into recovery and it freaking worked, wiped and restored a sense based rom (ARD) and EVERYTHING worked.

again I have no idea how this worked but it did.

went to flash ParanoidAndroid and everything works as well but had a hard reset and because im terrified of those went straight back to the sense stuff.

should I still go thru the hassle of returning it?

wow... wierd,lol. if the new phone isnt on the way,i think id hold off. no point in sending a working device back. if its on the way,or there asllready,id still think pretty seriously about keeping the old one. try some rom flashes and reboots and try and force it back into the situation you were having. if you cant do it by the time one of them has to go back,call them and tell them your issue is resolved and youll be sending back the replacement,not the defect.

i did just that with a thunderbolt. lost data,tried many,many things to get it working,ordered replacement. bam! data worked again. i kept the old one.

my 2 cents for what theyre worth,but i dont think anyone would criticize you for keeping the new after the wierd issues youve had.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones