• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] HTC One Bootloop - Cannot unlock bootloader

garyplaton

Lurker
Jun 17, 2014
Hi All,

My phone suddenly started doing a Bootloop, please notice that I haven't messed up with any custom ROMs, flashing, etc... the only thing that I may guess that happened here is that my phone got a little wet a couple of days ago. The screen won't came up so I dry it using a hairdryer and started working normally. Two days later I got an error that Foursquare app was failing and then I got into the Bootloop that I cannot get rid of....

I'm totally new with flashing phones, rooting, unlocking, etc... but I'm a developer, so, I can learn much easily.

I was reading some forums and solutions but I could not get it work.

Here are the details:

1- The phone is a HTC One M7

2- I'm able to enter to "Recovery mode" screen

3- If i scroll down to "Recovery" or "Factory Reset" the phone try to enter to those modes but after a few seconds of black screen I got an image with a phone with a red warning icon inside. So, I cannot enter to recovery nor do a factory reset

4- If I try to use "adb" commands looks like the bootloop is avoiding me to recognize the device. I tried "adb devices" several times while the phone is rebooting and I see the phone appearing in the list in the middle of the reboot but the status is "offline", then, it changed to "unauthorized" and then it disappears. I also tried "adb wait-for-device" but does not worked and sometimes it said that there is more than one device connected (if i tried adb devices again, appear my device a lot of times but always offline).
I also tried a BAT file to wait for the device and do a shell stop to be able to "freeze" where the phone is accessible, but did not worked neither.
I guess that I don't have debugging enable on my device and that is why i cannot use the adb commands of see the phone connected. I saw that adb will work even with debugging disabled in recovery, but like i mentioned before, i cannot enter to recovery.

5- I was able to enter to "fastboot mode" and my phone connected to USB. If i use fastboot devices, my device appears and looks fine.

6- I tried to unlock the bootloader using the HTCDev. I followed the steps and looks simple, I don't think i messed something there. I was able to get the phone token, submit, get the Unlock_code bin file, flash the code using fastboot, I got the screen to select yes/no to unlock the bootloader, and at this point everything looks great. I selected Yes, and my phone reboot and still on bootloop (as expected), but If i enter again to recovery mode, the phone is still "*** LOCKED ***". I tried the process (get toke, submit, flash bin, etc) lot of times, but with no result, phone is still appears as Locked.

7- My idea on #6 was to flash the recovery img and try to make the recovery to work, but to be able to flash the recovery i need my bootloader to be unlocked. I tried anyways to flash the recovery but as expected if failed :
>fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-m7. img
target reported max download size of 1514139648 bytes
sending 'recovery' (9434 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.201s]
writing 'recovery'...
(bootloader) signature checking...
FAILED (remote: signature verify fail)
finished. total time: 2.172s

8- I saw that there is another method to unlock the bootloader but is using adb, which on #4 i explained i cannot use.

9- This is the result of "fastboot getvar all":
>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.57.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4T.27.3218.14
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 5.11.1540.9
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno:
(bootloader) imei:
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0712000
(bootloader) cidnum: BS_US001
(bootloader) battery-status: low
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3451mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-e47fb74b
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.044s

Any idea? thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Juan.

sounds like you have some hardware damage. i do not think unlocking the bootloader,installing a recovery or flashing a new rom will help you. if there is an ruu available for your device,you could try that... but i think you will eventually end up with a warranty claim(asuming you have 3rd party insurance)

Upvote 0
Hi Scotty, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately my phone does not have warranty that i can claim.... That is why i'm trying everything i can to try to recovery my phone.

I was reading about use a RUU file on my phone, i found the correct one, but reading at the instructions looks like i need "S-Off". I already tried that when i was trying to unlock bootloader but I could not because to be able to change to S-off using Revone because to do that I need to execute lot of ADB command, but i cannot use adb commands because my phone is in the bootloop and my device always appears as offline.

Is this correct? There is another way to use RUU with S-on?

Upvote 0
I tried installing a RUU on my phone. Unfortunately it ended up with a USB connection error.
I started the process with my phone in "fastboot USB" and seems like the RUU installation wizard recognised my phone. After moving to the next step my phone restarted and entered in the bootloop and the RUU wizard appears as "waiting for bootloader...". I tried stoping the bootloop entering to fastboot USB or bootloader mode, but they installation wizard still appears as "waiting for bootloader...", after a few mins, it will show an error of USB connectivity.
There is a way to work around the connectivity issue or put my phone in a mode that i can run the RUU wizard completely?

Upvote 0
I tried installing a RUU on my phone. Unfortunately it ended up with a USB connection error.
I started the process with my phone in "fastboot USB" and seems like the RUU installation wizard recognised my phone. After moving to the next step my phone restarted and entered in the bootloop and the RUU wizard appears as "waiting for bootloader...". I tried stoping the bootloop entering to fastboot USB or bootloader mode, but they installation wizard still appears as "waiting for bootloader...", after a few mins, it will show an error of USB connectivity.
There is a way to work around the connectivity issue or put my phone in a mode that i can run the RUU wizard completely?

with the phone in fastboot USB
hook to the PC and from the fastboot folder command prompt
fastboot oem rebootRUU

now try and run the RUU from your PC

Upvote 0
Hi clsA, I entered to fastboot USB, execute the command that you mentioned, my phone reboot but then entered in the bootloop...

My steps were:
1- turn on phone
2- entering to bootloader mode, select fastboot
3- connect the phone to the pc
4- execute the command "fastboot oem rebootRUU"
5- my phone reboot right after execute the command and entered in the bootloop (I did not executed the RUU file as I was already in the bootloop).

Am I doing something wrong? or just did not worked?

Upvote 0
I tried with the ROM.zip file and got this error:
C:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140321\sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash zip rom.zip
target reported max download size of 1514139648 bytes
sending 'zip' (1004418 KB)...
OKAY [ 39.232s]
writing 'zip'...
(bootloader) adopting the signature contained in this image...
(bootloader) signature checking...
(bootloader) rom parsing start ...
(bootloader) rom parsing finish ...
FAILED (remote: not allowed)
finished. total time: 137.097s

I'm using the Rom.zip file extracted from this RUU exe file:
RUU M7 UL JB 50 BrightstarUS WWE 1.29.1540.3

Upvote 0
Hi Scotty, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately my phone does not have warranty that i can claim.... That is why i'm trying everything i can to try to recovery my phone.

I was reading about use a RUU file on my phone, i found the correct one, but reading at the instructions looks like i need "S-Off". I already tried that when i was trying to unlock bootloader but I could not because to be able to change to S-off using Revone because to do that I need to execute lot of ADB command, but i cannot use adb commands because my phone is in the bootloop and my device always appears as offline.

Is this correct? There is another way to use RUU with S-on?
i am having the same problem. any cure?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones