• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] HTC Red triangle error whilst updataing

Navtik

Lurker
Nov 9, 2014
Hi,
I bought a HTC One m7 online and all was good. However when i went to update the anroid version from 4.3 to 4.4 and HTC sense from 5.0 to 5.5 the progress bar would get to around 1/3 completion and then I would get the red explanation mark triangle.
I found that the error was whilst it was verifying current system, "/system/customize/CID/default.xml" has unexpected contents. Installation arborted.
I checked what my CID was and it was 11111111, I have never rooted my phone before so this was peculiar, I changed it to a random one I found online 'HTC__203'.

Any help here would be great thanks.

Welcome to the forum :)

If you've never modified the software, how were you able to change the CID? Did you buy the phone new, or was it perhaps second-hand and someone else had modified it? It sounds to me like the phone had already been set S-Off and its CID modified.

If you don't know, try two tests: tell us what it says at the top of the bootloader screen, and if you boot into recovery what does that look like and what does the recovery call itself?

Reactions: Navtik
Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum :)

If you've never modified the software, how were you able to change the CID? Did you buy the phone new, or was it perhaps second-hand and someone else had modified it? It sounds to me like the phone had already been set S-Off and its CID modified.

If you don't know, try two tests: tell us what it says at the top of the bootloader screen, and if you boot into recovery what does that look like and what does the recovery call itself?

I bought the phone off ebay and it was described as 'New', not sure if i believe that now.
This is what the bootloader looks like, before i changed the CID it was 11111111
image1.jpg

When I boot into recovery nothing happens this is what it shows
image1_1.jpg

Upvote 0
You've said "this is what it looks like" a couple of times but there are no images. Can you describe it?

Specifically, at the top of the booloader we want to know whether it says S-On or S-Off. The words "unlocked" or "modified" would be relevant too.

As for recovery, nothing at all? You stay in the bootloader, get a black screen, reboot, or get an odd screen with either an android on it's back or the letters HTC but nothing else visible?

Incidentally the CID 11111111 is a "super cid", which should bypass cid checks. That's something I'd not expect to see on an unmodified phone.

Upvote 0
You've said "this is what it looks like" a couple of times but there are no images. Can you describe it?

Specifically, at the top of the booloader we want to know whether it says S-On or S-Off. The words "unlocked" or "modified" would be relevant too.

As for recovery, nothing at all? You stay in the bootloader, get a black screen, reboot, or get an odd screen with either an android on it's back or the letters HTC but nothing else visible?

Incidentally the CID 11111111 is a "super cid", which should bypass cid checks. That's something I'd not expect to see on an unmodified phone.

I thought I had attached some images. At the top of the bootloader it says LOCKED and M7_UL PVT SHIP S-OFF RH.
When I go into recovery I get a the HTC logo on a white background but a few seconds later it goes to a black screen and the errors reads
Mount SDCARD failed 1 times all the way to 5 times, followed by can not mount SD Card.(No such file or directory)

Upvote 0
While a few phones do ship S-Off by accident, normally they are shipped S-On. So that plus the CID that was set originally does suggest that the phone had been modified at some point.

The recovery giving those messages is something I find other reports of, but no consistent answer (everything from "that's normal" to "send it back for repairs" - I don't trust either extreme, but as I don't have the stock recovery I can't check against mine).

You certainly can't choose random CIDs - they have to match the update or RUU package. So the question is, what CID is the update expecting? Is this supposed to be a network-branded phone (and if so, which?), and which country are you in?

Upvote 0
While a few phones do ship S-Off by accident, normally they are shipped S-On. So that plus the CID that was set originally does suggest that the phone had been modified at some point.

The recovery giving those messages is something I find other reports of, but no consistent answer (everything from "that's normal" to "send it back for repairs" - I don't trust either extreme, but as I don't have the stock recovery I can't check against mine).

You certainly can't choose random CIDs - they have to match the update or RUU package. So the question is, what CID is the update expecting? Is this supposed to be a network-branded phone (and if so, which?), and which country are you in?

The phone was sold to me as any network which I believe as I have switched networks a few times.
I live in the UK.

Upvote 0
You may well be right. I run a custom ROM so don't know for sure that my one is stock either.

It should be doable, one way or another. You could download a suitable ROM Update Utility (RUU) and update the software that way, or else unlock the bootloader, load a custom recovery and flash a newer custom ROM. Both unfortunately will erase everything on the phone currently.

Upvote 0
It's a matter of what you prefer. The RUU will give you an unrooted phone with a set of stock software, and should be able to accept future official updates. Rooting gives you access to custom ROMs, which gives you more options, but you have to take responsibility for your own updates (once you have a custom recovery installed you cannot use official updates).

For rooting look in the "All Things Root Guide" sticky post in the HTC One (International) All Things Root subforum. There will be a link in there to Scotty's root thread, which will describe how to do it.

For an RUU, the trick is to find the right one (as the package will check your phone model and CID). For an unlocked UK spec phone I'd be tempted to try this one (Android 4.4, HTC Europe, seems a good bet) from AndroidRUU.com. To use them you just download the file to a Windows PC, connect the phone via USB, boot into fastboot mode (select from the bootloader menu), run the RUU .exe on the PC and follow the instructions.

Upvote 0
I tried to update using the link you provided, but i ran into a few problems. Firstly I needed to unlock the bootloader, this was easy could do it all on HTCs website. But when installing I got an error 155, according to the readme this was because of the incorrect ROM. Any help?

Going by the OS version in your photo you have a Developer edition phone that was Super CID and S-off

The correct CID for your phone would be BS_US001 or BS_US002

for the OTA to work you need the correct CID / MID and all the system files must be original unmodified.

Easy way to get back to stock for you would be this RUU after you get the correct CID

AndroidRUU | The #1 source for Android RUU files

just change the CID and run the RUU then it should be 3 or 4 OTA updates to 6.x.1540.x

Upvote 0
Going by the OS version in your photo you have a Developer edition phone that was Super CID and S-off

The correct CID for your phone would be BS_US001 or BS_US002

for the OTA to work you need the correct CID / MID and all the system files must be original unmodified.

Easy way to get back to stock for you would be this RUU after you get the correct CID

AndroidRUU | The #1 source for Android RUU files

just change the CID and run the RUU then it should be 3 or 4 OTA updates to 6.x.1540.x

Thank you so much this worked perfectly, I am now running android version 4.4.3 and HTC sense 6.0 software number 6.07.1540.1. The phone looks completely different now.
Looking forward for the android 5.0 lollipop update which is set to release in the next few months.
Thanks again for all your help.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Thank you so much this worked perfectly, I am now running android version 4.4.3 and HTC sense 6.0 software number 6.07.1540.1. The phone looks completely different now.
Looking forward for the android 5.0 lollipop update which is set to release in the next few months.
Thanks again for all your help.

Glad I could help ..Enjoy your Phone !

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Hello there, I have the same problam as here. I bought my phone from ebay they say'd that it's brand NEW condition but the problam is the same CID is 11111111 so it's hacked. And the question is for you how can I now find what was my original CID and how I can change it to original that I can upgrade my software and what RUU files I need?

Upvote 0
If it's S-Off and super-CID you could actually run any RUU (though you really do want to ensure that it's for the same model!). The only way you could find out the original CID would be if it had a carrier customisation which gave the game away (such as a carrier-branded splash screen). Or you could ask the seller what its original branding was.

Of course we don't even have RUUs for all carriers. What country are you in, and is it running stock software or a custom ROM?

I guess the seller would say that "brand new condition" would mean that the hardware was undamaged/unscratched - if it was sold as actually new then that was a con.

Upvote 0
It say's:

*** LOCKED ***
M7_UL PVT SHIP S-OFF RH
CID-11111111
HBOOT-1.55.000
RADIO-4A.20.3263.16
OpenDSP-v32.120.274.0909
OS-3.22.1540.1
eMMC-boot 2048MB
Sep 17 2013,00:02:53.0

I can ask seller what its original branding, because there are no logos or carrier customisations on it. It's original software I think, I live in Lithuania and use labas - Bite SimCard.

Upvote 0
Software number 3.22.1540.1
I don't know from wich country this phone is because I bought him from ebay seller who is from China and I didn't ask from wich country the phone is maybe from USA but it reads my simcard. I need just one to know how can I now upgrade my software to the newest version because I could not even upgrade it to 4.4.

Upvote 0
So it looks like it has been returned to stock (there's no custom ROM name in the software information, and the bootloader has been relocked). But you say you could not update the software: how did you attempt to do this? Run an RUU which didn't work, or did you get an over the air update which wouldn't install, or something else? Do you have a stock recovery or ClockworkMod or TWRP (custom recoveries - if you boot into recovery mode you can tell what you have)? OTA updates will not work if you have a custom recovery. An RUU will remove that, but if you'd received an update notification already you might only need to install the correct recovery to make this work - let us know in this case.

As for RUUs, I've realised that your software version is the same as Navtik had earlier in the thread (his images don't display properly for me, so it took me a while to work this out). So clsA's suggestions in post 14 of this thread should work for you as well.

To change the CID you'll need to install fastboot on a computer. You can find instructions in this thread. Then with the phone in "fastboot mode" (the bootloader screen you were in earlier - or if that says "hboot" rather than "fastboot" select fastboot from the menu to switch), connect to a computer via USB and use the command "fastboot oem writecid BS_US001" (where I've taken the CID number from post 14).

Upvote 0
It's all the same like Navtik wrote in the first post. I try to update phone throught the phone using automatic software updates and I get a red triangle to around 1/3 completion and than phone restarts and that's all no changes. For the phone I did nothing so many your questions are hard to understand because I even don't know what means TWRP or OTA. Sorry for that. The phone is the same as I bought I did not used any RUU's or something. I did nothing manually for upgrading my software I just tryed few times it to do automatic that's all but all times it crached.

Upvote 0
TWRP, like ClockworkMod, is a customised replacement for the stock recovery program. This is something that people who do modify their software install, and while you haven't modified it a previous owner clearly has. Hence at some point in the past I'm sure this phone did have a custom recovery (either TWRP or ClockworkMod) because there is no point in S-Off otherwise. But if your problem was identical to the Navtik's, right down to the red triangle, then you probably have a stock recovery now (black screen with a red triangle is what the stock recovery looks like). My guess is that the previous owner just relocked the phone and ran some RUU to return the software to stock, but left the SuperCID set (11111111).

So the simplest is probably to change your CID and run the RUU, same as Navtik did. If you are still getting the update notice you could even try just changing your CID and then see whether the update would work after that - not much to lose, since you'd still have the option of running the RUU if not. Once you have the CID correct and the phone completely stock and updates working you can forget that it had ever been modified.

Do note that an RUU will erase everything on the phone, so you want to back up any important data first.

One thing: you may read that stock phones are S-On and think of changing yours from S-Off to S-On. Do not do this. Being S-Off will not prevent updates happening, so there is no real downside to being S-Off, and it will still leave some other options open (e.g. the ability to run other RUUs if ever needed). Conversely there are some risks in setting the phone S-On if you don't know its history. So just leaving it S-Off would be the best.

Reactions: mindukas1992
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones