1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[International] I have no OS installed, only TWRP.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MrChawk, Oct 7, 2014.

1. MrChawk

MrChawk Lurker

Hey guys, i'm new to AndroidForum. I've had a Galaxy S4 for a year or so now, decided to root it today. Came across a few techniques but none seemed to work. So after that I used the TWRP wiping option to clear my phone = deleted the OS? This ended in my phone getting stuck at the 'Samsung logo' screen. i'm still able to access TWRP menu but that's all. I'd like to go back to stock android, what are my options?

Thank you in advance.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

It seems to me that if you have TWRP installed then you have indeed been successful in rooting your phone.
    Yes, a full wipe in TWRP removes any trace of the operating system, rendering the phone useless.
    At this point you need to find a ROM to install that is compatible with your phone. Note that not all S4 ROMs will be compatible due to the many iterations of the device. Make sure the ROM you use is for your specific device and carrier.
    Once you find a ROM, copy it to your phone and use the 'Install' option of TWRP to install the ROM to your phone.

MrChawk likes this.
  3. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

How did you try to root your phone? What steps did you take?
    What version/variant/model of the S4 do you have? Assuming you have the international version (based on your profile location), you may benefit from reading this thread.

Please verify the model# before you proceed

MrChawk likes this.
  4. MrChawk

MrChawk Lurker

Hello, i tried rooting my phone with MotoChopper initially. Went through all the steps through a guide on Youtube, worked fine but when i opened the Superuser app there would be an issue with the binary. I'd use a root checker and it said i wasn't rooted. Then i used another rooting method seen through tutorial which pretty much just made me copy the superuser apk on my phone then install through TWRP.

I have the GT-i9505 version. Thanks.

5. MrChawk

MrChawk Lurker

Thank you very much that's extremely helpful. Do you have any suggestions on a solid S4 ROM and where to find one? :)

6. MrChawk

MrChawk Lurker

7. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

Kelly Brook naked, covered in butter, continuously slapping her cleavage with a wet trout.
    Well you did ask!

As for your problem, the actual error you're getting might come in handy here, but it sounds like a bad download to me. And also, use 7Zip

MrChawk likes this.
  8. MrChawk

MrChawk Lurker

hahahaha :p

Hmm, i've downloaded the file twice. Both times i've been unable to unzip it. I've tried WinRar and 7Zip as well as Stuffit expansion on a Mac, no luck. :(

9. MrChawk

MrChawk Lurker

Hey guys, fixed it all up thanks to everyone's input.

In the end i flashed the official stock ROM from the sammobile website, it seemed to be stuck on the samsung logo again but i was able to clear cache and factory reset, this did the trick. :)

10. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

Thanks for the update! I'm moving this thread to the appropriate forum

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews