1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[International] Lost Root

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ViralGold, Dec 11, 2013.

1. ViralGold

ViralGold Well-Known Member

Hey All,

I flashed the a new ROM earlier and then restored all my apps with TB and everything went cool. I then started downloading and adding stuff with xposed framework and it looks like i lost root access somehow :s everytime i access an app that needs root it says root can't be found etc.

Can i just flash CF Auto Root again to get root access or will i have to do a wipe > re root > install rom again :thinking:

Cheers :thumb:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

If you have the Superuser app shown in your app drawer (which I expect you do), you lost the su binary - which you can't install unless you have root, which you don't have if it's not installed, wash, rinse, repeat. Which is why rooting isn't just installing an "su.apk" file.

You're probably going to have to root the phone gain.

ViralGold and funkylogik like this.
  3. davoid

davoid Android Expert

Flashing some roms will need you to also flash the supersu app.

You can try downloading it from the play store but you will likely need to flash the zip from recovery.

You can find the flashable zip here:

[2013.11.26] SuperSU v1.80 - xda-developers

4. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

yeah thats the latest superSU ^ try flashing that and see if it works. Its strange that titanium worked though :thinking:

5. nigsy

nigsy Android Enthusiast

Another thing I've noticed is once you've installed a new ROM, during reboot you get the 'Lost root access notification'; below is what fixes it for me...you haven't actually lost root, just missing dev options.
    First activate developer options; Settings > About Phone > tap 'build number' until it says you are a developer > back to settings menu > Developer Options > Root Access > grant access to Apps and ADB.

funkylogik likes this.
  6. ViralGold

I flashed it via recovery but it still says unable to find root access when i open for example Adaway.

Yeah TB worked no problem, then i opened xposed framework and it was asking to update certain things, so i did, then i seem to have lost root after doing that :/

I tried this but when i open developer options there is no option for Root Access in there.

funkylogik likes this.
  7. davoid

davoid Android Expert

Try opening the app supersu itself in your app drawer and it will probably ask if you want to install the binaries. See if this works.

funkylogik likes this.
  8. ViralGold

I opened the app but it never asked me anything but i have TB / Wanam xposed / xposed istaller and CPU control lite all listed as having root access but if i open TB it says " Sorry, i cannot aquire root privelages "

Would a nandroid restore give me root back? then i could re install the rom again?

9. funkylogik

Yeah your nandroid will still be rooted but i dont know if that will help. Is it Neat rom youre using?

10. ViralGold

Yeah NeatROM.

11. funkylogik

Id ask the dev Salesale then if theres anything you have to do to keep root mate. He's a nice guy :beer:

12. ViralGold

Could i not just flash CF Auto Root again to get root access back? or will that mess the ROM up etc?

TBH i don't even mind doing a wipe / factory reset and starting over again as i've got everything backed up.

I've got a nandroid backup from when i 1st rooted the phone again, basically JB stock but rooted. If i restore that then reflash recovery and ROM that would work yeah?

13. funkylogik

Its something ive never done but id guess you can just use CF Autoroot on Neat. Again though id ask sale or atleast wait for someone else cleverer than me replies mate :beer:

ViralGold likes this.
  14. heat57

heat57 Android Enthusiast

Yes you can use CF Autoroot in a custom recovery.

15. ViralGold

Hey Guys,

I just restored my JB stock nandroid and it worked so i now have root access back too :D and philz recovery.

I can now just go ahead and reflash a ROM can't i?

Sorry for all the questions, just don't wanna screw my IMEI etc up again and want to be sure i'm doing the right things before proceeding ;)

16. ViralGold

Hey Guys,

I think i found out why i lost root access.

I flashed NeatROM this morning and started to add things with Xposed Framework one by one then rebooting and opening TB to see if it still had root access.

After i added xprivacy, which is similar to the LBE Privacy Guard for denying certain permissions to apps, then checked the box in the module section of Xposed to activate it. Rebooted on request, checked TB and i had lost root access again. Doh!

But, by simply unchecking the box in the module section of Xposed, then rebooted > checked TB and i had root access back :D

I disabled xprivacy and at present i have root access after another reboot and all seems well, so far :D

Thx to everyone who had input into this thread ;)

:smokingsomb:

davoid and funkylogik like this.
  17. Yatezy

Yatezy Android Enthusiast

That xprivacy is a great module but didn't play nicely on my phone unfortunately :(

Glad to hear you found the problem tho :thumb:

ViralGold likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews