1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [International] Modems / Kernels ... waaaaa .... CodecRom

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Gomjaba, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 8, 2012
    Right, I have my eyes on this ROM for a while now but still haven't pulled the trigger.

Based on how people treat newbs over there (much like a Linux Newby on Linux based forums), I prefer to get an opinnion here :)

I actually have been through most of the Release Thread and also Q&A thread but I am still somewhat confused about the choices.

This particular ROM seems to offer a variaty of Kernel and Modems

Here the list from that thread

Kernels:
    Stock (Latest)
    Siyah (Latest)
    Franco (Latest)
    Perseus (Latest)
    Speedmod (Latest)
    Phenomenal (Latest)
    GalaxSih (Latest)
    Yank555 (Latest)
    Boeffla (Latest)

Modems:
    XXDLI5
    XXDLI7
    XXDLIB
    XXDLID
    NEDLI1
    DDDLJ1
    XXELKC
    BUELK1

Source: XDA Forums.

I tried google and the sorts, but googling modems is a nightmare and usually just returns "leaked releases" of JB roms.

I haven't checked out the kernels yet but I suppose that is a lot easier to find including their featureset etc.

So I guess my main concern is modem - does this matter which one I am using ? Can someone (UK, 3) suggest a particular one ? Default Stock here seems to be XXELL4, which isn't even on the list.

I did find out (using this and this), that XX and XW is mainly Europe, UK included. So that already removes a few from my choice.

NEDLI1 seems to be particular a "3" modem - which makes me wonder if that would "lock" a phone or if that would improve my receiption (compared to XXELL4).

So yea - I am sure this has been asked a lot but a lot of threads here just point over to XDA threads and with the average of several hundred pages, it really is a nightmare to get what I need to know :)

Advertisement

2. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    OK. I'm on 3 UK. Thing is, what modem is good for me msy not be for you. You'd have to try a few yourself for a few days...because there are way too many variables

I would recommend trying both NEDLI1 and XXELKC if you're already on LL4 (Which is a UK modem).

For ME, LKC is best. In fact the 3 modems have always underperformed on my s3 but that doesn't mean you will have that issue.

Modem doesn't affect SIM lock.

Kernels. Siyah is good but it has far too many configuration settings that I don't need and the dual boot function, whilst great is superfluous to me. Since most of the development goes in that direction, I decided to go with Perseus. Out of that list, they're the only ones I've tried so can't recommend any of the others. I've only tried these because they read as the best for me.

I know my answer is ambiguous but kernels are subjective and modem performance is individual.

Hope this helps

Gomjaba likes this.
  3. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 8, 2012
    Thanks, yea helps a lot. In fact, since it is quiet at work I did actually read about 200+ pages now on XDA and came to the same conclusion - that the NEDLI1 and XXELKC are probably the way to go, although the latter is slightly better on 3 (which I am on as well).

And I also thought that Perseus seem to be the better choice (do like the Siyah logo tho lol) ...

4. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    SU bro im using 3 (p+g if it matters)
    Im using Sydia, do you have link to the kernal youre using? Do i have to wipe anything before flashing it (im usin stock official rom)

Ps "no frills" keeps clock and governor control megasimple man

5. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    What d/load speeds u gettin from 3 btw, mine varys drasticly now since 4.12 but like 16.5 is highest and9/10 is probably a decent average

Ps, you know this 3 apn dont u...

6. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    uploadfromtaptalk1357072243363.jpg
    Thats it lol. No parental lock, no "T" word sites block.... :)

7. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    My setup is linked in my signature ;)