• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Need To Unroot - Sky Go

cgfw201

Jul 25, 2012
Just discovered that Sky Go doesn't work on Rooted phones and there doesn't appear to be any way around this.

Could someone point me towards a simple guide to unrooting please? Is it possible to keep the stock JB update that I put on when rooted, and just lose the root rights or whatever it is as I don't need & want them anyway?

Rather than unrooting, if you want to keep root (and are not bothered about losing a bit of SD card space), you could flash the custom Siyah kernel which would allow you to dual boot. You could flash a custom ROM as the second android version which we could remove root from...If you're interested....

Removing root from a rom.zip file is pretty easy. Just open it (not extract) with winrar or 7zip and delete /system/app/superuser.apk and /system/xbin/su

...although I'm not sure how well Siyah works with dual booting on a non-rooted rom...

You could ask here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=27389678

Upvote 0
Rather than unrooting, if you want to keep root (and are not bothered about losing a bit of SD card space), you could flash the custom Siyah kernel which would allow you to dual boot. You could flash a custom ROM as the second android version which we could remove root from...If you're interested....

Removing root from a rom.zip file is pretty easy. Just open it (not extract) with winrar or 7zip and delete /system/app/superuser.apk and /system/xbin/su

...although I'm not sure how well Siyah works with dual booting on a non-rooted rom...

You could ask here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=27389678

I've got no idea what you're on about I'm afraid!

Upvote 0
Just tell me what country / carrier branding / unbranded you are and I'll get you the stock rom to reflash and a guide to do so.

Edit > OK well no time to hang around so here is the guide to flash back to stock (will remove root)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1671969

Some have said it does wipe data, others says it does not so I'm confused as to which it is so ensure you backup your /sdcard to your pc and sms using sms backup+ or something first.

To find your stock firmware (to flash using the above guide)

Go to:

http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/?page=3

And download to the filter (Drop down menus) just ABOVE the "latest firmwares" table at the bottom of the page.

Set the below

Type: Smartphone
Model: GT-i9300 - Galaxy SIII (assuming thats what you have)
Country: (Your Country and carrier if branded). Unbranded are here too. No idea what yours will be. If you're British its "United Kingdom - BTU", if not, can't help there

Upvote 0
Just tell me what country / carrier branding / unbranded you are and I'll get you the stock rom to reflash and a guide to do so.

Correct, never heard of dual boot!

I only rooted as TMobile UK aren't releasing jelly bean until march and I got impatient. I've zero interest in any benefits of root like development stuff etc. just want a working phone with Sky go on it, and jelly bean.

I'm TMobile UK and currently have the samsung stock 4.1.2 rom on the phone which I want to keep, just need to be unrooted!

Upvote 0
Yes. You must flash the 4.1.2 BTU rom. This will replace the one you rooted with the official one. It will also return your recovery to stock.

This is what you must do if you wish to unroot

Ok thanks.

Still a bit confused as this is the identical process I used to put the ROM on in the first place just repeated. Does doing it again remove the root?

Upvote 0
I'm confused as to why you rooted. You didn't need it.

This process doesn't root. This process flashes official firmware.

Rooting is another process that modifies whatever firmware you have installed.

To undo those modifications you must flash official firmware.

If you ONLY did this process before, you're not rooted and this conversation is academic

Upvote 0
I'm confused as to why you rooted. You didn't need it.

This process doesn't root. This process flashes official firmware.

Rooting is another process that modifies whatever firmware you have installed.

To undo those modifications you must flash official firmware.

If you ONLY did this process before, you're not rooted and this conversation is academic

I thought I had to root to be able to install this firmware, looks like I didn't!?

Don't see how this unroots me though...

Upvote 0
No you don't need root to flash official firmware.

If you rooted t-mobile firmware, you're not rooted now.

Android devices have 2 main partitions of the memory.

1 called /system - this is where the android firmware is installed.

1 called /data - this is where your data sits.

Now all pre installed apps (phone, messaging etc) are system apps. They sit in the /system/app directory.

Everything within /system is called the ROM or the firmware.

When you root your phone/ROM/Firmware, it does 2 things

1. it installs a system app called super user. /system/app/superuser.apk

2. it installs the super user binary. /system/xbin/su

So when you flash an official ROM/Firmware, you replace everything in /system (including modified or added files) with the official ROM / Firmware - ergo root is removed

Hope that clarifies.

As stated though, if you rooted then flashed the official firmware, you're not rooted anymore anyway

Upvote 0
No you don't need root to flash official firmware.

If you rooted t-mobile firmware, you're not rooted now.

Android devices have 2 main partitions of the memory.

1 called /system - this is where the android firmware is installed.

1 called /data - this is where your data sits.

Now all pre installed apps (phone, messaging etc) are system apps. They sit in the /system/app directory.

Everything within /system is called the ROM or the firmware.

When you root your phone/ROM/Firmware, it does 2 things

1. it installs a system app called super user. /system/app/superuser.apk

2. it installs the super user binary. /system/xbin/su

So when you flash an official ROM/Firmware, you replace everything in /system (including modified or added files) with the official ROM / Firmware - ergo root is removed

Hope that clarifies.

As stated though, if you rooted then flashed the official firmware, you're not rooted anymore anyway

I didn't root TMobile firmware, as I say they haven't released it yet.

The latest TMobile official firmware is 4.0.4, I installed the Samsung 4.1.2 BTU version.

Upvote 0
I've seen you create a thread called "root failure" so you either rooted before flashing jellybean (meaning you rooted your original T-Mobile firmware) or you rooted afterwards, or you didn't root at all.

I think before we discuss this any further, you're going to have to stop talking in riddles and fill in the blanks because I cannot for the life of my figure out what you're talking about

Upvote 0
I've seen you create a thread called "root failure" so you either rooted before flashing jellybean (meaning you rooted your original T-Mobile firmware) or you rooted afterwards, or you didn't root at all.

I think before we discuss this any further, you're going to have to stop talking in riddles and fill in the blanks because I cannot for the life of my figure out what you're talking about

Sorry I've no idea what I'm on about either...

I had 4.0.4 ICS on my TMobile S3

Got bored of waiting for them to update to Jelly Bean (March 2013 supposedly.)

Googled 'how to get jelly bean on my s3.'

Every guide said rooting was necessary.

Rooted my phone

Downloaded official Samsung 4.1.2 from samfirmware

Installed and works fine.

Sky Go doesn't work on rooted phones.

Need to unroot.

Can I only unroot by going back to 4.0.4?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones