1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [International] Newbie, Galaxy S3 (O2 Mobile - UK) user

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by welshtony1, Jan 24, 2014.

1. welshtony1

welshtony1 Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2014
    Male
    Security
    South Wales, UK
    Hi all,

I would like to root my phone so have been looking into videos and anything I can find through google and although there is a few options and loads of info out there I keep coming up with "US, Canadian or Chinese phones only" so as a UK user you can probably imagine my frustration.

Decided to come and ask the pro and the people who actually know what they are on about :D ;)

So yeah, Im a Samsung Galaxy S3 user - model number I9300, Its a UK phone supplied on a O2 contract.

Have any idea on what the best way for me to root my phone would be.

Any tips on what to do before, during and after its done? (obviously somehow do a backup)

Once rooted what is recommended to install right away?

For now I will just leave it at that.

Thank you in advance

Tony

Advertisement

2. CDPlant

CDPlant Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    Essex, UK
    Hey Tony, welcome to Android Forums :)

Just want to let you know that your questions aren't going unanswered. I will try and get some info to you when I have some down-time at work (or possibly after, later this evening.)

There's plenty of helpful chaps here to guide you through so between us we should have you up, running and rooted in no time :)

welshtony1 and funkylogik like this.
  3. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Android Expert

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    Welcome to the forum Tony:wavey:

The gs3 isn't too hard to root when compared to other android phones. The easiest method is to use cf-auto root which can be found here

[GT-I930x/T/N][SHV-E210*][SHW-M440S] CF-Auto-Root - xda-developers

Post #2 of the thread I've linked contains instructions on how to root and all the necessary files are also in that thread. It can seem a bit confusing the first time you root but if you take your time and read the instructions carefully you should be fine. However if you're not sure on anything just ask before jumping in and I'll be happy to help out.:)

Edit: there are a few different versions of cf-auto root in that thread so make sure you download the i9300:thumb:

4. SteveDuk

SteveDuk Member
    None

Just to confirm I have a Galaxy S3 (i9300) and I'm a complete newby to rooting and I found that cf auto-root was really simple to do :thumbup:

welshtony1, dan55 and funkylogik like this.
  5. welshtony1

welshtony1 Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2014
    Male
    Security
    South Wales, UK
    Thank you for the replies. I had found that cf auto-root just after posting this post.
    I will try it out and let you all know how I get on.

I am currently running a backup as I type this with Kies 3 so should be ready to start the root soon :)

6. davoid

davoid Android Expert
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    London
    Just a thought, Tony: What version of Android are you on? If you are on 4.3 then rooting your phone will trip the KNOX flag and will void your warranty if that is a concern.

If you are on an earlier version, I would avoid updating if you want to root.

If your phone is not under warranty, there is no problem either way.

7. welshtony1

welshtony1 Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2014
    Male
    Security
    South Wales, UK
    Thanks for the warning Davoid. I know my warranty will be void now and yes im running 4.3

I read I should be able to return to standard and buy triangle away if I needed to remove all evadance?

Right all worked perfectly fine. Now just need to figure out what to do now :/
    I got to figure out what to do now its rooted lol

8. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Triangtle Away cant hide the fact that its been modded now mate.
    What to do next depends on if you like the samsung Touchwiz firmware or not.
    First thing to do if you havent already is make a full backup in recovery :thumbup:

davoid likes this.
  9. davoid

davoid Android Expert
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    London
    dynomot and funkylogik like this.
  10. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert
    None

Dec 4, 2011
    Male
    Sheffield U.K
    A full Nandroid backup in recovery and a backup of your EFS folder, should your chosen custom recovery give the option (most do). A Nandroid is your get out of jail card will get you to a working phone (it is a snapshot of your phone how it is that can be restored) and ideally should be done before you do any mods that require a custom recovery to install. An EFS needs only doing the once. Your EFS folder can become corrupted by flashing (done it myself) and unless you have a backup you will bork the phone completely (if it corrupts you'll not be able to connect to any network and your phone will not have an IMEI)

davoid and funkylogik like this.
  11. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    an easy way to back up EFS is get the app "ktool" by HellCat from Play store.
    On Philz recovery the option is hidden pretty deep so id guess its the same on CWM :thumbup:

welshtony1 and dynomot like this.
  12. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert
    None

Dec 4, 2011
    Male
    Sheffield U.K
    Depending on what custom recovery you use (I use Philz on my Note 3 and have done since I owned an SGSIII) your Nandroid back ups are pretty big and take alot of room up. It is good practice to have the latest one on your phone and older ones can be cut and pasted to your PC. I have a USB flash drive full of them all organised into date folders and sub what ROM folders. Donot alter the name of the Nandroid folder itself as you'll bork their checksum and they won't work. Your EFS backup can stay on your phone, with a backup on your PC. Titanium Backups can be done once as a batch of everything, individual apps, or a group of them. You can restore what you like with it and have a play freezing and defrosting features (or depending on your point of view "bloatware") and see what happens. There are lists of stuff that are safe to freeze without Ill affects and it is often interesting to see what freezing odd processes do. This will teach you how interdependent some things are. As you install new apps and make progress in games do a TB (Titanium Backup) perhaps one a week. You can overwrite an old one or make a completely fresh one, TB is completely user friendly and although a bit bewildering at first, is pretty easy to get a grip of.

Now do some fun stuff :)

Install Busy Box, it gives some very low level commands (as in terminal scripts and bash commands), not for you to play with, although you can, but for the mods you flash to use. On the same note you can install a terminal interface like Terminal Emulator to run scripts, meticulously copied and pasted or typed in.

For risk free (fairly risk free, as in a Nandroid is not strictly necessary) try installing the xposed installer and wanam xposed. This will allow you to download mods and tweaks from a repository and have a play with them.

Once you get the idea move on other things, search through the XDA threads to find some weird and wonderful .zip files you flash through your custom recovery (a new Nandroid is recommended before each flash of a zip file mod, you can delete the oldest ones after a session of flashing more than one mod), better to come back here and ask about any mods you find there rather than ask in an XDA thread, some of the posters there have little time for new members and can be aholes, to put it mildly.

Once you get confident and into good practice regarding Nandroids and Titanium backup, try a new ROM a tweaked pre rooted TouchWiz ROM like Salesale's "NeatRom" is an excellent ROM to start with and Salesale himself is a fantastic developer sorting out individual problems with individual users and he is genuinely helpful and friendly.

Basically now your rooted the world is your lobster (I don't like oysters) and you'll find methods to over clock your CPU to stupid amounts that will at best make your phone run very warm, make it fly, and consume battery like nothing else and at worst fry your CPU (completely possible). What I'm saying is being root is great, you make your device unique and personal to you. You can go completely pure Android with an AOSP ROM like Cyanogen, or make it look like an iphone (why? - sorry, personal bias), but you can now break it permanently. You won't do though unless your completely daft. The worse that could happen, and it is a bit of a right of passage, is a boot loop. Provided your disciplined with backups and Nandroids you'll probably find you get out of one yourself.

Have fun, I think you will :)

sntaylor, davoid and funkylogik like this.
  13. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
  14. welshtony1

welshtony1 Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2014
    Male
    Security
    South Wales, UK
    O wow a few replys here lol.

I have installed Titanium Backup and ran a full back up (was the very 1st thing I have done)

As for a full "Nandroid Backup" is there anything you guys and girls recommend using? or is that what Titanium Backup basicly is? haha as I type that I see the next reply from funkylogik about ktool. Im installing that now.

Right I just ran a EFS backup using ktool and then on the check screen I had this result
    [​IMG]

Is it normal for the bottom lin?
    /!\ nv_data.bin NOT FOUND in backup!!!!

15. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert
    None

Dec 4, 2011
    Male
    Sheffield U.K
    Yes, your EFS folder is backed up correctly in this folder /Sd/efs/.tar.gz
    It has not found a .bin file because it is in the tar.gz folder. :)

A Nandroid is made in recovery mode, it takes up to 15 minutes to make one. Later (at home at work now) I'll make one in Philz Recovery and show you in pictures the stages. You flash a custom recovery after rooting. If you haven't got one I'm doing a guide to installing and using Philz recovery in the Note 3 forum later. I'll post a link as the procedure is the same for a SGSIII.

davoid likes this.
  16. welshtony1

welshtony1 Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2014
    Male
    Security
    South Wales, UK
    Brillaint right up there dynomot and thank you. Allot of useful info.

Until I know for sure how to do these nandroid backups I wont be messing around with things to much.

Actually I just thought. I still got my Galaxy S 1 (the original). Would it be worth me doing it all on that 1st? Could I even do it all on that?

Thanks for all the help. Some great information being passed over.

And yeah I don't think I will even bother making a account on XDA if they are that bad lol.

17. welshtony1

welshtony1 Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2014
    Male
    Security
    South Wales, UK
    Look forward to seeing it. Pleased to hear that all is fine with this EFS back up :)

Im in no rush to do anything. Im taking my time and going to enjoy my experience with modded mobile :)

18. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert
    None

Dec 4, 2011
    Male
    Sheffield U.K
    A Titanium Backup saves all your apps and data. Which is very useful for settings and game progress. Once again I'll do one with pictures and post a link to an excellent guide to using it.

This is all helping yourself and other people and will form part of an ongoing guide I'm doing for international Note 3 owners who appear to be quite reticent to root, and look at rooting as some sort of "dark art".

19. davoid

davoid Android Expert
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    London
    There is no harm in having a go at doing a nandroid backup.

Which recovery are you using? The default CWM that is flashed when you rooted?

I would recommend using Philz Touch recovery as it has a nice user interface and loads of features and is very solid and reliable.

[30.01.2014]CWM 6.0.4.7 Advanced Edition / PhilZ Touch 6.12.8 + exFAT + NTFS + MTK - xda-developers

You download the zip and store it on your phone, then flash it from your current recovery and reboot into recovery and you will have a spanking new recovery. :)

NANDROID
    To do a nandroid backup you simply select Backup and Restore from within recovery (you can do this from your CWM recovery - it doesn't need to be Philz) and choose where to store the backup (either SDCard for the internal memory, or ExtSDCard for your removable microSDCard.)

There's no harm in having a go at a nandroid backup right now. :)

sntaylor likes this.
  20. davoid

davoid Android Expert
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    London
    You make a nandroid backup with any custom recovery. It's not the same as a Titanium backup - it is actually a complete snapshot of your complete system - everything - operating system, sms messages, settings, homescreen setup, apps, everything!

It means you can always return to EXACTLY how it was before you messed with it, basically ;)

21. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert
    None

Dec 4, 2011
    Male
    Sheffield U.K
    Yes a Titanium Backup is made with this app you need to be rooted to use from the Play Store :

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup

The free version will do, but the paid for version (the key you install after installing the free version) gives you more options.

A Nandroid is made by entering recovery mode. Power down your phone and then press and hold in this order at the same time volume up + home + power. Release all at once when your phone boots to the Samsung/name screen. It can be trickier to enter than download mode I have found. If you have flashed a custom recovery you'll find the option to make a back up there, this is a Nandroid. It saves the backup on CWM (Clockwork Mod) custom recoveries in a folder called CWM. Save the individual folders each back up makes in there to a safe place and always keep your latest and your first ever in there too. Apart from being a get out of jail card when you inevitably get a bootloop (you power up and the device gets stuck at the glowing Samsung screen) they are are useful way of getting instantly to different set ups of the phone and back again. Never alter their folder name as they have a checksum you'll break by doing so.

funkylogik likes this.