• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] nfc/nfc tags.....screen off use!

sntaylor

Android Expert
Jan 20, 2012
Ayrshire, scotland
Before I ordered my s4 I bought ten nfc tags and had naively thought I could just walk past a tag to activate it...I then became further annoyed when I found you had to have the screen on and unlocked.

however a couple of days ago I flashed a mod to allow nfc to work with either the screen off or on the lockscreen(two separate mods but the screen off incorporates both!)

I'm just about to head out to work so won't go searching for a link just yet, but if I get some feedback here I'll happily get it later :)

as expected,I have noticed a slight drain on battery life if keeping nfc on all the time, it is however, pretty minimal considering and it has allowed me to program a few different tags that get settings suitable for that environment (car has Wi-Fi off to save battery, sound up etc, bed has sound all off so not too waken baby and living room Wi-Fi on for coming home) all these things are lazy but it means that I have a tag where I place my phone in the car and automatically have my desired settings :)

Reactions: Sydney99
Basic guide just now.....

Go to this page and download the appropriate zip file for whatever firmware your on...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2285978

Then boot into recovery and flash, get Presto it should now allow nfc to work with the screen off and/or on the lockscreen :)

One thing to be aware of is that the security of your phone can obviously be at risk by using this mod, just be careful where you sit your phone ;-)

Personally I'm only using it along with nfc tags which are pre programmed by myself using a free app :)

Upvote 0
Just my 2 cents - please be careful of who gets their hands on your phone.

While I understand the convenience, the reason I skipped that mod (lockscreen NFC activation) was that it would enable anyone who had access to my phone (thinking about some co-workers who think they are super-funny) to get the phone to do whatever they program on the NFC tag - pull up random websites, dial some numbers - whatever can be programmed onto a tag

Edit: Doh!!! sntaylor posted that same concern - sorry - didn't see it

Reactions: sntaylor
Upvote 0
This was an interesting read.

I am just waiting for a set of nfc tags to come in the post so I can start playing with them. I hadn't realised that the screen had to be unlocked.

I think I might err on the side of caution and not apply the mod but it's interesting to know what can be done.

To be honest I do think the risks are pretty minimal, though I don't have it connected to any form of payment method and my tags are based around the house/in the car so obviously it is down to each user :)

Upvote 0
My tags arrived this morning and I am glad to say they seem to work fine with NFC Task Launcher.

I was a little disappointed (but not very surprised) to find my two "OEM" batteries that I bought very cheaply on eBay do not have an NFC antenna in them despite saying "Near Field Communication" on them. At least they were cheap and otherwise work well.

I was interested to see just how short the range is. On my phone, the tag isn't detected unless it is right under the battery. Even 2cm further up the phone and it cannot see the tag.

Upvote 0
thanks taylor. this mod works really well and love playing with my nfc tags. the screen-off mod is really useful, especially like having a sticker in my car to go "handsfree" when i get in, all without having to turn my phone on or do anything :)

the nfc launcher app is also ace. I have an nfc speaker system, and using this i touvh my phone on the top, it connects via bluetooth and then open spotify automatically. FANTASTIC!! i'm a complete thicky dullard village idiot, and have never been able to work out how to use the tasker app (just dont have the patience), but as well as allowing you to programme tags, the NFC laucher app acts as a mini tasker app so now have my phone changing profiles and swtiching to sensible ringtones etc when it connects to my work wifi, then automatically switching back to my preferred settings when it connects to my home wifi.

really worth having a play with this technology if you havent already.

Reactions: sntaylor
Upvote 0
It really does, this mod makes it run the way that I expected it to. I looked forward to just taping it straight away, then when I found out you had to unlock the screen it kind of took away from the experience!

I'm looking at setting one up for on my motorbike for when I'm at work,I usually call the Mrs on my way home, instead with the bike finally on the road, I'll get it to send a text :)

Upvote 0
I have a bluetooth device in my car anyway that is all voice activated. I cant think what else Id use one for? perhaps maybe card payments later on when Visa get the utilisation activated in this country.

Put a tag in your dock, then your phone will turn on Bluetooth and connect to hands-free without having to turn your phone on our press a single button. Handy, especially if you don't keep Bluetooth on all the time, our like me, are to lazy to connect every time I get in car.....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones