• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

International number not picked up by WhatsApp

Kai01

Lurker
Jun 10, 2019
Hi,

I'm having some trouble with WhatsApp.

I am trying to add a friend from Ukraine. I am currently in Canada but I still log in to WhatsApp using my British phone number, on my British bought Samsung S7.

I already know about adding + and country codes etc.

I saved my Ukrainian friends number into my phone contacts list. It does not show up in Whatsapp. He definitely has the app.

He told me his number starts with +38, but online I read the country code is +380. I have tried using both codes and tried many combinations of his number. WhatsApp does not pick up the number.

How do you get WhatsApp to pick up a Ukrainian number?

Thanks,
Kai

International to Ukraine is +380 32 xxx-xx-xx. With the "32" been an example area code.

Ukraine is definitely +380, I was there a few months ago. +38 on its own used to be Yugoslavia, but that doesn't exist any more of course.

Can you directly dial and get through to your friends in Ukraine with the international numbers you've got? because WhatsApp uses the same number format as normal international calls.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
International to Ukraine is +380 32 xxx-xx-xx. With the "32" been an example area code.

Ukraine is definitely +380, I was there a few months ago. +38 on its own used to be Yugoslavia, but that doesn't exist any more of course.

Can you directly dial and get through to your friends in Ukraine with the international numbers you've got? because WhatsApp uses the same number format as normal international calls.
Ah okay. The number I was given was in this format: +38 063 xxx xx xx ... Does this look right to you? I don't know where the area code is in the number. I'm thinking maybe it should be formatted as +380 and then 63 being the area code? Just a thought. I haven't tried to call the number, the cost to do so would be astronomical even in today's world of technology and free video calls etc XD

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones