• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Overclocking a GS3

On quadrant im getting 6042.

I use both those benchmark apps.

That's pretty good. Have you overclocked it yet? If so what frequency?

You will get another boost if you change to ART (in developer settings), and if you aren't overclocked yet, you will get another boost yet.

Here is mine (on ART):

2014-01-17161221_zps304217ec.png

And here's another benchmark with ART and OC to 1600MHz:

2014-01-17161753_zpsbea4ea47.png

Although It's not really beneficial to compare my benchmark with yours, it is quite useful to observe the effect of different tweaks on your own phone.

If you are considering using ART (Android Run Time) which is experimental and only available on Kitkat roms, have a little read about it.

http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/792223-introducing-new-android-runtime-art.html

Although it's experimental and some apps don't work with it enabled, I have it enabled all the time and it makes my phone faster so I don't need to overclock :)

Warning (sort of): if you enable it in Developer Options, you need to reboot your phone and then Android rebuilds all your apps to work on the new runtime, and this can take about 10 minutes if you've got loads of apps installed. It only has to do it the first time though. Subsequent reboots are quick.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I did some further tweaks like putting the clock up to 1600 and the gpu and gpu voltage up one more notch, that's 2 up from standard, AnTuTu was before art was 21622

just switched on art and restarted, just ran AnTuTu and results are now 21891 so not a huge jump but something.:beer:
Try your quadrant test again :)

The biggest improvement with ART is that it is liquid smooth. I don't get any micro stutters at all when opening apps, changing home screens etc. Just makes the phone really slick.

Upvote 0
Can I still connect to kies to transfer music?

No, but you don't need kies. I never used it even when I had a touchwiz rom.

Just connect to the computer and it should set up an MTP connection. You can copy and paste or drag and drop to folders within both your internal memory or your external sdcard.

However if you are copying a huge amount of music data (I did with my 64GB card) it will be quicker to remove your sdcard and use a card reader to bulk transfer from the computer.

Upvote 0
I have settled on these performance figures

I did hit 8700 but it kept freezing with the gpu undervolt - 25

Nice results. :)

Yeah you will forfeit stability undervolting and overclocking simultaneously. You know serious overclockers would probably try overvolting with an overclock but they would have afterparty cooling (my own shortcut for 3rd party after sales lol). And you don't want to overheat your phone otherwise it's detrimental (to the battery I think).

I was assuming you oc'd the GPU? Just leave it default voltage.

That's why you had higher scores than me on 3d and a generally higher score than me (possibly - you do have a different rom though). But have you noticed that your 2D score has gone up to 1000 like mine now? (Compare with your earlier 2D scores.) That's why I thought you might make 9k. With the 5-600 extra points you might have made it.

Maybe your instability has adversely affected your score. Tweak :D

Lol look how much higher it is than the HTC One X. I remember they were pretty close phones when they first came out.

Upvote 0
Hi chaps, I've started on the other half's s2, I've posted in the s2 all things root international, not sure if you chaps know as much about the s2 but if you can help me again on that one I'd very much appreciate it.

Sorry mate but I don't know anything about rooting the s2. Tell you what though. A bunch of guys in the S4 root sub-forum all used to have the s2 and know each other from the s2 forum. One of the guys, shotgun, used to post in this forum when he had an s3 but now he's back with his old mates.

I suspect the s2 forum is going to be dead quiet, so maybe you could ask some of those guys in the S4 root forum (very politely) whether they could offer any s2 advice. Ithey are nice guys so I'm sure they will.

This root sub-forum misses shotty; he knows his stuff.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones