• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] PhilZ CWM Recovery - Dummies Guide

PhilZ Recovery 6.09.6 is up! :)

Changelog:-

"- do not error on missing sd-ext when wiping dalvik cache
- merge: "su: Update for latest su daemon compatibility"
- merge "Clean up c formatting - 1"
- merge "Remove "Go Back" option from verify root and recovery options"
- merge "Fix potential chmod failures"
- merge: "Add a copy of the updater binary to the recovery resources"
- merge: "install: Support downgrade scenarios"
- merge: "install: Fix possible overflow condition in the updater "scanner""
- merge: "minui: do not use flexible array initialization"
- merge: "correctly mount tmpfs as /tmp in recovery"
- New: Sony Xperia SP (huashan)
- New: Sony Xperia T (mint)
- New: Samsung i9192 (serranodsub)
- New: Motorola Moto X variants: VZW (xt1060), GSM (xt1058), TMO (xt1053)
- New: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 LTE (n8020)

This version should be able to flash older update zip packages
No more need to manually swap update-binary. It will do it for you"

Download for i9505, 6.09.6.

Download for i9500, 6.07.9

Source

(and that Hawker... is how you post an update! :aetsch:)

Reactions: Sydney99
Upvote 0

(and that Hawker... is how you post an update! :aetsch:)

images

Upvote 0
I have edited post #1 to reflect the use of the latest PhilZ Custom Recoveries and have updated the links as well as recommending the use of Nandroid Manager and Online Nandroid Backup in preference to ROM Manager, which no longer seems to play nicely with the latest releases of PhilZ recovery.

PhilZ Recovery 6.10.0 is up! :)

None available yet. (Although I strongly suspect that Hawker has a hand in it! See, here. :hmmmm: )

Download for i9505, 6.10.0.

Source N/A

Reactions: Hawker
Upvote 0
PhilZ Recovery 6.10.3 is up! :)

"Merges necessary changes to fix adb push to extra storage path

About /system unmount when usb cable is plugged during package install: I identified the cm-11.0 commit that broke it.
I informed repo maintainers about it. Hope it will get fixed soon, else I revert the offending commit until they fix it
"

Download for i9505, 6.10.3.

Source

Upvote 0
PhilZ Recovery 6.10.4 is up! :)

"- do not use performance mode during install zip
- i9505 ans US variants: update kernel to fix random hang on boot
This adresses 2 issues:
- random hangs on boot
- fix unmount /system commands during install of some zip files when USB cable is connected

Please confirm asap if these are fixed now
"

Download for i9505, 6.10.4.

Source

Upvote 0
PhilZ Recovery 6.10.6 - CWM 6.0.4.7 is up! :)

" - update to CWM 6.0.4.7
- merge "Fix up bu restore"
- ROM Manager: workaround to allow backup/restore to/from external storage
"

Download for i9505, 6.10.6.

Source

UPDATE Typical, I change the Dummies Guides for Rooting and PhilZ because ROM Manager was unable to recognise the external SD card for backup and restore and now Phil3759 has come up with a workaround. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
PhilZ Recovery 6.11.4 is up! :)

"This version adds a new menu under "GUI Settings / Time Zone / Change Date"
There you can manually set time and date up to the seconds
"

"Add option to make time really stick on reboot

Do not use the Qcom option, but only the "Try Force Persist on Reboot"

This should make time really fixed
"

Download for i9505, 6.11.4.

Upvote 0
PhilZ Recovery 6.12.2 is up! :)

"- manually set time and date in recovery
- support Qualcom time daemon to sync time with main system (credits to dougiebee)
- support RTC offset hack for Qualcom devices without a proper time daemon in system ROM (credits to dougiebee)
- option to drop to system set time and date commands (credits to dougiebee)
- set default nandroid compression level back to low
- roll out exfat-nofuse sources from dorimanx into various kernels from Samsung and other brands
- code fix and cleanup
- New: Oppo N1
"

Download for i9505, 6.12.2.

Source

Reactions: sntaylor
Upvote 0
PhilZ Recovery 6.12.2 is up! :)

"- manually set time and date in recovery
- support Qualcom time daemon to sync time with main system (credits to dougiebee)
- support RTC offset hack for Qualcom devices without a proper time daemon in system ROM (credits to dougiebee)
- option to drop to system set time and date commands (credits to dougiebee)
- set default nandroid compression level back to low
- roll out exfat-nofuse sources from dorimanx into various kernels from Samsung and other brands
- code fix and cleanup
- New: Oppo N1
"

Download for i9505, 6.12.2.

Source

You're so yesterday's news old stick.
It's up to 6.12.5 now!
:)

10/10 for presentation
5/10 for current affairs....must try harder!

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thought I'd better post this as it's past Hawker's bedtime at the Home for the Terminally Befuddled...

PhilZ Recovery 6.12.8 is up! :)

"- time and date menu text formatting and order
- version display edit
- add ntfs write support to devices using kernel modules instead of fuse
- loki: merge "Support LG Optimus F7 ZV5_02"
- zip installer: update loki binaries for LOKI devices
- zip installer: use new update-binary sources
- add NTFS kernel module support for more Samsung devices
"

Download for i9505, 6.12.8.

Source

(No need to update if you already have v6.12.5)

Upvote 0
Having trouble restoring a nandroid backup.

Week ago I did a nandroid backup via the recovery (Rooted M919 Galaxy S4 4.2.2) to External SD card, then I unrooted with SuperSU and did a factory reset. Now when I got to restore the nandroid backup in external SD through the recovery, it says "Files not found". The stock S4 file manager shows that it's there and it's the same size as the backup I made (7.40GB).

There's a second clockwork directory on internal storage, but I can't move my backup there to try and restore it since my phone only has 6.58GB internal storage after factory reset. Any ideas on what to do?

Upvote 0
Q1: Are you using the same version of PhilZ recovery that you used to make the original nandroid backup?

Q2: Did you update to Android 4.3 with locked bootloader and Knox Security whilst you were un-rooted?

Yes, didn't update to the new recovery at all (Currently on version 6.0.3.7). I didn't update to 4.3 either (I don't think I can anyway since my device status has remained custom).

Upvote 0
Yes, didn't update to the new recovery at all (Currently on version 6.0.3.7). I didn't update to 4.3 either (I don't think I can anyway since my device status has remained custom).

So, You definitely did not update to Android 4.3 OTA whilst you were un-rooted. You can check this by following the instructions in #1.4 of Knox Security & locked bootloader on new firmwares.

Try installing the latest version of PhilZ Recovery, 6.12.8, which is supposed to be backwards compatible with previous versions.

Alternatively, boot into Recovery mode and select Backup/Restore and then select Restore the destination that your nandroid is situated.... probably, "sdcard01".

Upvote 0
So, You definitely did not update to Android 4.3 OTA whilst you were un-rooted. You can check this by following the instructions in #1.4 of Knox Security & locked bootloader on new firmwares.

Try installing the latest version of PhilZ Recovery, 6.12.8, which is supposed to be backwards compatible with previous versions.

Alternatively, boot into Recovery mode and select Backup/Restore and then select Restore the destination that your nandroid is situated.... probably, "sdcard01".

Mine shows it as

csb-oem_config_LSB: 0x30

System Status: Custom

Write protection: Enable

To clarify, these are the download files and the last one is the proper one for installing in recovery?

Upvote 0
Those are the correct files for your model of phone which you have now re-rooted and have SuperSU.

Ok, I took your second option and used the Backup/restore in the recovery and it still couldn't find the files, but it did check the Md5 sums and I guess it found my recovery. Phone looks like it's back to the way it was (albeit a bit laggy and some stuff acting weird).

Thanks massively for your help! Is there anything else I should do for the restore process? Clear dalvik cache or anything like that.

Edit: I also made a Titanium backup of all my app data (not the system); should I restore that or leave things as is?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones