1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

International Phone Means International Roaming?

Discussion in 'Sprint' started by badankles, Jun 12, 2011.

1. badankles

badankles Android Expert
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    USA
    With the recent announcement of a couple of Android international devices (current Motorola XPRT and up coming Motorola Photon 4G), i'm trying to understand the benefit and cost savings. i'm assuming these can do both voice/text and data internationally (right?)

i understand that these phones has the necessary GSM radio to connect to the non-domestic towers, but what does it mean cost wise?

do i have to change my current plan of Everything Family plan? or, is it a monthly or prorated fee for when i go international with the device? what would that fee be? is it a one time charge or roaming charge or both?

thanks in advanced.

Advertisement

2. FreakyLocz14

None

Jul 13, 2010
    It's cheaper to buy a prepaid SIM in the country you are traveling to and use that. International roaming plans are very expensive.

3. badankles

badankles Android Expert
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    USA
    thanks. so the benefit of an international device is that it has a SIM slot to communicate with the international GSM towers. that's it? in that, it doesn't give me free or discounted international roaming, or require a change in current plan?

can i get a prepaid SIM from anybody or does it have to be from Sprint?