• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

International Phone support

kool kat2

Android Expert
May 21, 2011
Carson, CA
Hey guys, I thought id post this in the lounge since it isn't device specific. (and i received no responses in the device specific forum lol)

This is for US owners of international phones. I have an international galaxy note 2. If something goes horribly wrong with my phone, like some software bug or something, what options do i have to get it fixed? Have any of you had to do that.? My carrier insurance wont cover it and Samsung won't repair it in the US. What are my options? (other than sell it and get a US version) i figure if its physical damage i can get it repaired at a cell repair place but if some software issues come up what do i do?

I've had experience of using Samsung phones in foreign countries. Had a non-carrier unlocked Galaxy S I bought in the UK, but was using it in China. NO software updates at all, probably because I was using it in a country it wasn't intended for. Done unofficial updates myself using CyanogenMod. Something did go horribly wrong with the Galaxy S, the screen cracked, i.e. physical damage. Samsung in China were willing to repair it, but it was cheaper to buy a new phone than to repair the one I had.

I think "international" really means when it comes to phones, is that it's unlocked, multi-band, wasn't supplied by particular carrier and customised for that carrier.

Reactions: kool kat2
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones