1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[International] Query regarding upgrading s4 gt i9505 (4.4.2) to s4 gt i9505 google edition (4.4.4)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tough bratt, Oct 31, 2014.

1. tough bratt

tough bratt Lurker

Hi Ironass,
    I amHi Ironass,
    I am new to this forum community. i read quite a few forums before i decided to create an account & clarify my doubts regarding my galaxy s4 gt i9505.
    I have a galaxy s4 gt i9505 which was originally bought from UK. I bought it from a friend of mine who was using it.in in india before me. I am using this phone currently in India. I have 4.4.2 installed on my phone. but now i am planning to change the firmware & convert it to google edition 4.4.4
    i have downloaded the file :- i9505 official google edition 4.4.4 by jamal2367 Stable-R2 zip from androidrootz.com

But i dont know wheather i can use this file to upgrade & convert my phone to 4.4.4 google edition. Request you to kindly confirm how to go about it.
    Mant thanks for your help in advance.

Look forward to hear from you.

Cheers..!!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

Hello and welcome to Android Forums tough bratt! :)

Yes, that ROM by jamal2367 is OK to flash to the GT-i9505, International, phone. I have used jamal2367's ROMs in the past and they are very good.

1. You will first need to root your phone and install a custom recovery by carefully reading and following the instructions in the Rooting Galaxy S4 - Dummies Guide, posts #1 -> #4.

2. Once you are rooted and have your backups done you can then proceed to flash the ROM as per jamal2367's instructions, here.

I have requested that the Mods move your post and my reply, over to the (International) Galaxy S4 - All Things Root section of the forum as this is best suited to your query.

tough bratt likes this.
  3. tough bratt

tough bratt Lurker

Hi ironass, many thanks for the detailed info. i will go thru the info before proceeding further. However i would like to know your feedback on the 4.4.4 google.edition. is it really.good. Does it.really boost the performance.of the phone. (What kind of improvements can i expect)
    Also, is tht the best rom or do u suggest any other rom.
    Thanks

4. ironass

Unfortunately, I no longer have the Galaxy S4 handset and so my opinions are 3 months out of date. The GE firmware is pure Android without all the Samsung add-on's and therefore runs faster, IMHO, and is better on battery.

As for GE ROMs, apart from jamal's ROM, I also tried both the Echoe GE ROM and Danvdh's version. Out of the 3, I found Danvdh's to be the best suited to me, for my wants and needs. I coupled this with ktoonsez's GE kernel which allowed me to fine tune things and use the built in KTweaker app to load kernel scripts.

Perhaps others on this forum have more recent info regarding Android 4.4.4 GE custom ROMs.

tough bratt likes this.
  5. Sydney99

Sydney99 Android Expert

Personally, the difference between 4.4.2 and 4.4.4 are not that noticeable. However, I concur with ironass that Dan's ge rom has the edge over others, and is the slickest most stable version to date, so is worth upgrading to imo.

Kt kernel is great and works well, and is the most customizable of all kernels. However, it is no longer supported. Googymax is my favorite at the moment, and the dev is still updating it

tough bratt likes this.
  6. sntaylor

sntaylor Android Expert

I'd have to say it's trial and error for what suits you..personally I've yet to find my perfect Rom (just need a few minor tweaks to each option!) But I've stuck with Dan's ge myself :)

tough bratt likes this.
  7. ironass

OK... who or what, woke Syd up?

[​IMG]

8. Sydney99

Sydney99 Android Expert

Mamma......

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews