1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[International] question of the day.... new phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sntaylor, Oct 6, 2014.

1. sntaylor

sntaylor Android Expert

Well sadly my time has come, and I'm due a new phone

Cos my bleeding digitiser broke and screen ain't working on my s4 anymore.

So I get a new phone through tomorrow, another s4!

Hence my question.... I'm going to assume immediately the new one will be Knox enabled, all my current backups are non Knox, will this cause an issue when I go to use a current backup?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Sydney99

Sydney99 Android Expert

not got a scooby, but glad ur not leaving us too.....

3. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert

I haven't a Scooby doo either (and really wanted to say "hi"), I would imagine it will throw a wobbly.

I hear the rusty posteriored one has lost his S4 and now has an S5. Tsk tsk, such carelessness (says he who dropped his S3 in a sink waste gully).

4. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

By using a current backup I assume you mean restoring a nandroid.
    Performing this in itself will trip your new knox as you need to be rooted in order to install a custom recovery in order to restore the backup in the first place.

Everything restored on all partitions within your backups will be exactly as they were at the point of backup on your previous S4, so you shouldnt get any issues in that respect.

sntaylor likes this.
  5. sntaylor

sntaylor Android Expert

In order.... ☺:)

Syd, nup ain't getting rid of me that easy, though given I'll be using a new s4, think I'll not upgrade for quite a while, which I had been thinking before I broke the digitiser!

Dyno.... Hi :) it's been too quite here for a while now, especially since rusty buggered off

And finally, hawker.... I do indeed mean nandroid, and rooting it was naturally going to be the first thing I did to the phone so knew id be tripping the counter so you have just answered my question perfectly :-D thank you mate :)

Shall see what time it arrives tomorrow, knowing my luck, it'll be after I head out to work but at least I'll have a phone again:)

6. sntaylor

sntaylor Android Expert

:-( just checked and I seems my parcel will arrive between 2.45 and 3.45, that gives me a small window for possible rooting as I usually head out between 3.15 and 3.30 :-(

7. sntaylor

sntaylor Android Expert

Harrumph, phone arrived in time for me heading to work :)

Immediately rooted and flashed a copy of philz i had on my laptop then tried to flash a nandroid I had made on 30th September, sadly it isn't working, I've tried a couple of versions of Philz that I have on my SD card too, non of which are working :-(

I kinda broke a cardinal rule and never made a backup of the stock firmware and I attempted a full wipe before flashing first nandroid, which failed.... Squeaky bum time!

Fortunately I still had a couple of copies of other roms downloaded onto my SD card and proceeded to flash the latest Dan ge ROM (unless it's been updated?) For which I do have a working s4 again with mint screen :)

Have all apps backed up and stored on my laptop so can get them when I'm back home in the mean time, I'm going to have to try and figure out what version of philz I made my nandroids with! :-(

8. sntaylor

sntaylor Android Expert

OK then, I've tried several possible versions of philz and not one is working, keeps coming up as saying I have something wrong with the md5 sum and so they fail at verification stage.

Any ideas anyone?

9. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

Safest way of course would be to reflash your ROM and start from afresh.

If you insist on wanting to restore it, (which I wouldn't recommend, as it mis-matches for good reason) then you can delete nandroid.md5 within the backup folder, but you need to recreate it again as a blank file.
    This should force recovery to skip the md5 check at the start of the restore

10. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert

Just a thought, you didn't rename your Nandroid did you? This (obviously - when you think about it) makes the Md5 checksum fail.

11. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

I rename mine all the time, and never had an md5 checksum fail...just make sure you never include any spaces in the filename

12. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert

So it is the spaces that make it fail?

I got to the point I was saving them in a folder with their original names and the folder a date. In fact I still do.

13. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

Just use underscores or dashes instead, and you'll be fine.

14. sntaylor

sntaylor Android Expert

Cheers guys, just that I had it all set up the way I wanted it/liked it hence trying to use my old nandroids. Non of them have been renamed, all had been restored at some point or another.

I might just delete them all and go ahead starting again :-(

Cheers again for your help though guys :)

15. sntaylor

sntaylor Android Expert

Oh and I decided to give the file rename/recreate option a go, didn't work :-( will have a play with some ROMs tonight, currently on slimkat, few minor annoyances but I'll see what else is available now I have the Knox bootloader. Lol

You don't suppose there is something causing the issue with the change over? There are other words mentioned as well as md5 verification fail, I'll need to check again later tonight.

16. sntaylor

sntaylor Android Expert

So new question regarding my new phone.... I cannot for the life of me get my mhl cable to work properly with it, I say properly, I can't get it working at all. I could understand if things were different to my old phone but I had Dan's ge ROM on before working fine, now on new phone same rom it isn't doing anything unless the cable suddenly stopped working the minute I swapped phones? Anything you guys think I can do?

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews