1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [International] Root Moto G

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by scrubby, Jan 9, 2014.

1. scrubby

scrubby Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 21, 2013
    California
    Anybody know where I can find a comprehensive how-to on rooting a Moto G? I've never rooted a phone, so I'm looking for something very complete.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    1) Why do you want to root the phone. It voids the warranty, and all it gains you is the ability to run rooted apps (those that need administrative access to the operating system). It won't make the phone faster, it won't give you more storage (it takes away a little storage) and it won't fix any problem you're having.

2) Search the web for

adb root android

There are a lot of tutorials on how to do it. It's only a few commands once you've installed adb on your computer (which you can get from Mini-SDK). If that doesn't work on your particular phone, you can always try Kingo Very complete instructions - download it, install it (on your computer), run it, connect your phone to your computer, click the Root button and wait.

If you need a driver for the phone, you can get it at Motorola - Mac & Windows Drivers

3. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Android Expert
    None

Jul 30, 2012
    Male
    Full time student, Part time McDonalds crew
    Chicago IL
    Very new phone. Don't you need some custom things created by other people to root? I have never rooted either.
    If I were you, I'd get a cheap phone that I can root around with just to learn how. That way the warranty is not voided with your good moto g.

4. saptech

saptech Android Expert
    None

I've never rooted either, being this is only my second smartphone and I'm not about to brick it, by trying to root it. I'm thinking about rooting my old phone, the Strat, but then again, maybe not.

There is a thread I started in the Root subforum on rooting using any OS.

Just a thought.

5. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Thread moved to sub-forum where root-related subjects for this phone are discussed.

... Thom

6. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    District of Columbia
  7. scrubby

None

Dec 21, 2013
    California
    Thanx for all the responses. The reason is so I can load the Jelly Bean 4.3 stock rom back on the phone and get rid of Kit Kat. I regret updating it because absolutely hate Kit Kat, and this is the only way to go back. I even contacted Motorola and they said there was no way to go back. At this point the phone sits in a drawer not being used, so if I brick it, it won't be a huge loss.

8. alfick3

alfick3 Android Expert

Feb 7, 2011
    Male
    IBM SSR
    DFW, TX
    If ya don't want the phone, I know someone who'd love to have a Moto G with Kit Kat on it. :D

9. unnamedny

unnamedny Android Expert
    None

Dec 26, 2010

Whats the reason for hating Kitkat? It sounds like prejudice to me.

Nothing wrong with rooting, I've rooted more than 10 phones and few tablets. I haven't used warranty once, in most cases it either ended up in drawer outdated or on garbage due to broken screen.

For now there is no one click root you need to go a little advanced.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=47705438&postcount=6 unlock bootloader.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/366771-root-your-moto-g-option-1-superboot/ root method.

10. scrubby

None

Dec 21, 2013
    California
    Well, for me, the look and feel of Jelly Bean is much better. While the visual changes are minor, they are enough for me to not like it. No prejudice, just like Jelly Bean better.

Motorola Moto G (1st Gen)

The first generation Moto G was the released in November of 2013. The phone was the first in Motorola's new mid-range line that targeted the sweet spot between specs and pricing. It originally built for emerging markets, but also saw success as a low-priced Android phone option in other parts of the world. The Moto G 1st Gen features Features 4.5-inch LCD display, Snapdragon 400 processor, 16GB storage, 1GB RAM. 5MP rear/1.3MP front facing cameras, and a removable 2,070 mAh battery.