1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[International] Samsung Galaxy S3 UMS

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 23moons, Dec 17, 2012.

1. 23moons

23moons Lurker

Hi,

I'm new to all of this, so please excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong place!

Despite knowing how to preserve and backup my data, I accidentally deleted an album on my samsung GT-I9300 internal memory with a number of files that weren't backed up. I immediately stopped using my device so that nothing was writing to the storage, meaning that my files should still be there as just the pointers will have been removed.

In desparation I have now learned the following:

1. UMS - No longer an option, just MPT on the device.

2. No UMS - means that I can't use windows recovery software that is out there as the internal memory isn't recognised as a mass storage device.

3. So I rooted my device in order to try out undelete, DiskDigger and the pro version of Hexamob recovery.

Surprisingly, this went well (I am not experienced). I used the droidviews tutorial CF-Root-SGS3-V6.4.zip and odin. (Thank you droidviews).

4. Now I was able to try out Undelete (no good for the internal ext4 memory, has to be fat). Disk Digger and Hexamob have found some of my jpeg and mp4 files, however not all of them despite me turning the phone off.

5. Next step, I installed the android terminal emulator so that I could try this:

su
    setprop persist.sys.usb.config mass_storage
    reboot

However, I get the error: "Connected as an installer". Although I can now see the internal and SD card memory on my PC, I can't access them.

6. I know easy UMS from xda developer will only mount the external memory as UMS, not the internal.

So finally, my question is!!

Does anyone know a way to mount the internal memory as UMS please? Or a way to get around this "Connected as an Installer" issue that Samsung have on the device? I really want to try this method so that I can try out some of the PC recovery tools and see if they find any more deleted data before I start using my device again.

My device details now that it's rooted:
    Model: GT-I9300
    Android: 4.1.1
    Kernal Version 3.031-368423 se.infra@SEP-78#1
    Baseband Version I9300XXDLID

Many Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Can't be done. You're lucky you got what you did back.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews