• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International Tegra 3] Clock speed/Undervolting

user47

Oct 17, 2012
I was just wondering how to go about it all. I've never messed with clock settings. I have my governor settings set to ondemand 1.5 max and 51 Mhz min on CPU master antutu. I've read that undervolting can help battery life a bit and that system tuner is a good app so I got it, and noticed that it displayed my max clock speed was set to 1.3 Ghz max. I tried to put it to 1.5 but it went back to 1.3. So I went back to CPU Master and set the min to 1.5 as well.. and stared in dismay as it displayed my clock speed at 1.3 Ghz. What does this mean?

Nope, I had CPU settings on Viper 2.7 but not on 3.4 :/ I don't know if this helps but I just got myself SetCPU and when I start it, they have two options: 'Continue Recommended' and 'Custom Setup Advanced'. Upon selecting the first one, I get stuck with the same 1300 Max even if its set to 1500. When I select the second one, the box is replaced by other boxes, one that reads Nvidia Tegra 2 T20/AP20H and the second one reads Custom Frequences reads from /sdcard/setcpu.txt etc etc. @@

My CPU info: ARMv7 Processor rev 9 (v7l)

What do you make of these?

http://nativeboinc.org/site/detail_host/2101

http://nativeboinc.org/site/detail_host/482

Upvote 0
I can only presume for whatever reason, they've limited the clock speed to 1.3GHz? It wouldn't be the first time a dev has done that, iirc n3ocortex limits the speed to 1.2 in his kernels to minimize heat and increase battery life. However, I don't even think 1.5 would be an option if that was the case.

The search function on XDA appears to be down at the moment, so I can't see if anyone else has the same issue.

If you uninstall all other CPU Management apps and just leave System Tuner installed, it still won't stick?

Are you comfortable navigating to the System directory via ES File Explorer?

Upvote 0
Well, I can't find anything in the thread to state it's clocked at a lower speed. I know all chips aren't created equal and some run at lower speeds.

There's a file located in /sys/kernel/debug/t3_variant, open that with a text editor, what is your cpu_process_id?

Nope, I've not been on Viper for ages. I was on the CM10 nightlies for a bit, then switched to LiquidSmooth. I was disgruntled with the fact a it was quite buggy and decided to give the new AOKP based on 4.2.1 a try.

Upvote 0
Update: I couldn't figure this out so I just let it go, no harm done right. But this morning my phone just powered down while I was doing something. Would keep powering down no matter what I did so I reflashed ViperX 3.2. (Interestingly, clock speed was capped at 1.4 this time around) Still powered down after factory reset, clearing cache, dalvik cache. Same results with ViperX 3.3 as well. Tried to go with Nightlies, found a boot.img for my hboot as well. But I can't get the Play Store running. (google account manager crashes as soon as I log in, and just won't run after that, displays the 'error retrieving information from server' message). Tried ViperX3.3 again, ran for about 30 mins during which I noticed clock speed was going 1.2 max after which the powering down began again.

What do you guys suggest I do? (besides sell my device or throw it in the ocean lol)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones