• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International Tegra 3] Last decision

I'm getting 404's on both of those links.

Depends what you're looking for, CM10 is pure AOSP. JDroid is Sense based, but it's had the Sense launcher removed so whilst Sense isn't there, all the Sense apps work.

I get better battery on Sense based ROMs and they're a lot stabler. I prefer the look and Style of CM10 though.

I'm currently running Venom 2.7.0 with the Stock Kernel and Sense removed. I've also flashed Greenyous's AOSP theme as it looks much better than Sense.

Upvote 0
I have tried a couple of kernels in my time but the only one I settled for is the stock kernel. It is stable, fast, and has a decent battery life. As for the ROMs, it's really preference based. There are a lot of custom ROMs to choose from, most of which are great, but like El Presidente I am a huge fan and supporter of Team Venom's Viper ROM because it is the most stable, smooth, and feature-filled for me. It is also extremely customize-able as early as the installation process itself. I did not remove Sense from it, though, because I like the Sense camera.

I am going to look into installing it with ONLY the Sense camera and nothing else, since Sense seems to eat up at least 70MB of memory and really swiping and stuff with Sense isn't that quick and snappy.

My suggestion would be to try Viper and give it two days for the battery and everything to settle. Viper has a re-packed kernel so you might as well install the stock one, but Viper's repacked kernel is very good if you don't want to mess with that.

If you have any more questions let us know!

Reactions: Aimen7
Upvote 0
I have tried a couple of kernels in my time but the only one I settled for is the stock kernel. It is stable, fast, and has a decent battery life. As for the ROMs, it's really preference based. There are a lot of custom ROMs to choose from, most of which are great, but like El Presidente I am a huge fan and supporter of Team Venom's Viper ROM because it is the most stable, smooth, and feature-filled for me. It is also extremely customize-able as early as the installation process itself. I did not remove Sense from it, though, because I like the Sense camera.

I am going to look into installing it with ONLY the Sense camera and nothing else, since Sense seems to eat up at least 70MB of memory and really swiping and stuff with Sense isn't that quick and snappy.

My suggestion would be to try Viper and give it two days for the battery and everything to settle. Viper has a re-packed kernel so you might as well install the stock one, but Viper's repacked kernel is very good if you don't want to mess with that.

If you have any more questions let us know!

Thank you for your time and caring, I really appreciate ..
just I want you to give a check on this kernel, really I loved it, tha main thing I like in this Kernel that it works GREAT with the CyanogenMod 10 ..
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1895214
I'm waiting for you ..

Upvote 0
Well, to be honest with you I have not tried that Kernel, but it looks promising. If you are using or going to be using CynanogenMod 10, then why not give it a shot? As I mentioned earlier, though, don't judge it by the first day, but give it a couple of days until it gets stable. And also do a full reboot once you install it.

This kernel seemingly has the s2w "swipe to wake" feature, do you know what that is and does? If not, basically when your screen is off (device sleeping), you will not have to click the power button in order to wake it up, but you can just swipe from left to right on the touch-buttons (back, home, recent) if you know what I mean. You can also make the phone sleep by swiping from right to left on the buttons (not too sure about this one).

That kernel seems similar to Alex-V's. Anyway, give it a shot and let it settle for a couple of days then see how you like it.

Do you know how to install kernels or?

Upvote 0
Well, to be honest with you I have not tried that Kernel, but it looks promising. If you are using or going to be using CynanogenMod 10, then why not give it a shot? As I mentioned earlier, though, don't judge it by the first day, but give it a couple of days until it gets stable. And also do a full reboot once you install it.

This kernel seemingly has the s2w "swipe to wake" feature, do you know what that is and does? If not, basically when your screen is off (device sleeping), you will not have to click the power button in order to wake it up, but you can just swipe from left to right on the touch-buttons (back, home, recent) if you know what I mean. You can also make the phone sleep by swiping from right to left on the buttons (not too sure about this one).

That kernel seems similar to Alex-V's. Anyway, give it a shot and let it settle for a couple of days then see how you like it.

Do you know how to install kernels or?

first, Thank you a lot for your time, I really appreciate ..
second, I;m using the CM 10 right now, and I want to try the Bricked Kernel for the feature that you have mentioned earlier " S2W ".

and about the CM 10 it is really GREAT ROM, the battery life is a brilliant, I just want to use the Bricked Kernel because of that feature, and I don't want to lose the Jelly Bean blueish color in the CyanogenMod 10 Rom which also a characteristic of the Bricked Kernel.

by the way, I know how to flash it, and thank you again Tarek..
I'm going to flash it now, Insha Allah.

Upvote 0
Hello Tarek ..
I faced a problem yesterday, I was not in knowledge with something called " Repack Kernels & Pack Kernel ", I flashed the kernel but the phone just in ( bootloop ).
I solved the problem after rebooting the CM10 image and did a recovery boot for it.

BUT, when I was surfing the web for a solution for my case, I noticed that there is something called Repacked Kernels !!

could you please clear these stuff for me?
I thank you in advance ...

Upvote 0
Hello Aimen

Unfortunately I am not 100% sure what a repacked kernel is, but from deconstructing the word, it seems like a stock kernel that has a few additions which are compiled into what is known as a 'repack', and I believe that repacked kernels are designed to work with specific custom ROMs but not all of them, if you know what I mean. The Viper ROM, for instance, uses a repacked kernel rather than the stock one.

Listen, I used a tool to flash the Alex-V's repacked kernel which had the Swipe To Wake feature as well. That tool is called Bricked-Installer. Here is the link:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1749968

It is really easy to use. When you download the kernel you want, it'll most likely consist of two files, a .img one and a .zip one.

1) Download the desired Kernel
2) Put the kernel files into one folder on the desktop, for instance
3) Run Bricked-Installer (don't boot into fastboot mode or anything, just leave the phone running as it is)
4) Follow the easy on-screen instructions on Bricked-Installer and then click Browse in order to search for your kernel
5) Locate the folder with the kernel files inside and most likely only one of them will appear in the search, and if I remember correctly it was the .img one
6) Choose it and let Bricked-Installer do its thing then reboot and hopefully everything will be fine from there

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Glad you had a backup before!

Upvote 0
Hello Aimen

Unfortunately I am not 100% sure what a repacked kernel is, but from deconstructing the word, it seems like a stock kernel that has a few additions which are compiled into what is known as a 'repack', and I believe that repacked kernels are designed to work with specific custom ROMs but not all of them, if you know what I mean. The Viper ROM, for instance, uses a repacked kernel rather than the stock one.

Listen, I used a tool to flash the Alex-V's repacked kernel which had the Swipe To Wake feature as well. That tool is called Bricked-Installer. Here is the link:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1749968

It is really easy to use. When you download the kernel you want, it'll most likely consist of two files, a .img one and a .zip one.

1) Download the desired Kernel
2) Put the kernel files into one folder on the desktop, for instance
3) Run Bricked-Installer (don't boot into fastboot mode or anything, just leave the phone running as it is)
4) Follow the easy on-screen instructions on Bricked-Installer and then click Browse in order to search for your kernel
5) Locate the folder with the kernel files inside and most likely only one of them will appear in the search, and if I remember correctly it was the .img one
6) Choose it and let Bricked-Installer do its thing then reboot and hopefully everything will be fine from there

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Glad you had a backup before!

Thank you Tarek for your support ..
about the Bricked Installer, I already downloaded yesterday, and I was not sure about it's stability and functionality.

but now, I'm going to give it a try.
and by the way, the main QUESTION that I couldn't find the clear answer for it, which is: is this kernel compatible with my CM10 (AOSP) Rom, since this ROM has its own kernel ?!!
and which one I should start with? should I flash the kernel first by that installer? or should I flash the ROM first? ( KEEP in mind that when I flash the kernel first then flash the ROM, I think " My Opinion " the Rom's stock kernel will OVERWRITE the Bricked Kernel which I hope to get it ) ???

:thinking:

Upvote 0
No, you have to flash the ROM first and THEN the Kernel.

I'd suggest keeping CM10's Kernel for two days and seeing how you like it. If it sucks in terms of battery life, performance, etc. then try another kernel. I am not sure if it's compatible with CM10, to be honest with you, but if it's a re-packed kernel then it is designed to work with CERTAIN ROMs only so I suggest posting in its thread and asking.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones