1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [International Tegra 3] Question on Rooting/Jelly Bean & USB Drive!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ilockhart666, Jan 10, 2013.

1. ilockhart666

ilockhart666 Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2013
    Male
    Hi all

first time 'blogger' (is that what I am called??), so please be gentle with me...

ok, so I installed 4.1.1 (aka Jelly Bean) on my HTC One X last night. First impresssions were good.

However, I'm angry/annoyed/upset that I can no longer use my device as an external drive when I connect to my work and home laptop (both Windows 7). The unit still charges, but that's about it. All I want to be able to do is the same as I did before I updated - sync the MS Word/MS Excel files on my home laptop with the files on the One X, and vice versa. Was very happily doing this via the old version of android, using Dataviz Documents To Go. The other thing that I loved about it was that when I connected to my work laptop via USB, hey presto, it was recognised as a USB drive, so I happily edited same MS Word/MS Excel files. Then when I got home, I simply synced.

Long and short of this post is this. I have researched various threads here and elsewhere and understand that the only way I could possibly change things is by rooting my phone. ALL I WANT TO KNOW is this: IF I root my phone, will I be able to work as I did before I updated? I.E - will I be able to see the HTC One X as a USB Drive and NOT MTB (I think that's what it's called)??

Any help will be VERY gratefully appreciated.

Many Thanks

Iain

Advertisement

2. Fonzig

Fonzig Well-Known Member
    None

May 7, 2011
    Male
    IT Network Engineer.
    Black Country, UK
    As far as I know, rooting will not change the way the drive is mounted. MTP is what google have implemented. You may need some third-party software to help you.

Hope this helps.

3. ilockhart666

ilockhart666 Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2013
    Male
    Hello and thanks for the reply.

When you say third party software, do you mean on my Windows 7 PC or on the HTC One X?

4. Paul25

Paul25 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 8, 2010
    Hi I had the same . I now use WiFi file explorer . Can not fault it to be honest . Go on playstore and give it a try .

Tags: