• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International Tegra 3] Random Reboots

user47

Oct 17, 2012
Hey guys,

So I've been running Team Venom's ViperX ROM and I love it. But recently, I've been having problems with it. I'm gonna start from when it began, like a couple weeks back. I tried to make a call and it just rebooted, and then kept rebooting for a good few mins. So I ran recovery, restored to my nandroid from a couple of days back (when everything was running smooth) but to no avail, still kept rebooting. (not a boot loop, it would come to my home screen and then reboot when I tried to make a call or text) This just randomly stopped after 5 mins. Phone was working fine, could use everything. After this event, my phone would randomly reboot like once in a day or two. I did a full wipe, and reinstalled ViperX, didn't work. I tried football's MaXimus, had to do a firmware upgrade for that (my first so I didn't know it would wipe EVERYTHING off my card), anyway did that, it worked fine but I missed viperx, so I went back to that. Still hapenned. Tried CM10, got reboots on that as well. Now I'm back on ViperX scourging forums trying to see if anyone else has experienced something similar. Oh and apparently sometimes my friends call me numerous times and my phone just chooses to not ring or even notify me. (has happened a few times in the past couple weeks)

Any suggestions?

The boot.img that comes with each ROM usually has the kernel, right? The little experience I had with flashing kernels ended out to be a nightmare so I'm a bit confused about that but if that's correct, I've been using the ViperX's kernel with ViperX and same with MaXimus.. Also, I've been reading around I found this one post where you said that you keep a Nandroid of two ROMS and switch between them. Is it weird that I can't do that? I tried that with my stock and ViperX and stock never worked. Would get stuck on the bootscreen. (Just came to me but am I supposed to flash boot.img of a particular rom even when restoring a nandroid?) Also, I'm not overclocked or undervolted at all but I use Antutu's CPU Master to change frequencies when my phone is idle.

Upvote 0
Yeah, you need to flash a boot.img even when flashing a nandroid, I do flit between 2 ROMs (generally), but I don't do it on the fly, I'll always do it in the front of a PC so I can do the boot.img files.

Try not using Antutu for a while, see if that makes a difference? Failing that, have you tried running an RUU and taking you back to stock to see if it does it then?

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
S-OFF

Place in Russia does S-OFF for HTC's, have to send them your device though and they charge like 65 Euros excluding courier charges which can turn out to be quite a bit depending on where you are. Besides being able to flash ROMS without boot.img, what added benefits does having S-OFF have? Trying to see if its actually worth the price tag.

Upvote 0
I saw that the other day, S-OFF would be nice, but I'd rather not send my device off to Russia to get it.

There's the boot.img thing, Super CID is also possible, allowing you to flash other carriers firmwares etc, you can downgrade with RUU's etc. You can also flash recoveries whilst the phone is on using ROM Manager or Goo Manager.

I'm not entirely sure, but with S-OFF, I think it's possible to change the ***UNLOCKED***/***RELOCKED*** atop your bootloader to ***LOCKED*** again.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
I saw that the other day, S-OFF would be nice, but I'd rather not send my device off to Russia to get it.

There's the boot.img thing, Super CID is also possible, allowing you to flash other carriers firmwares etc, you can downgrade with RUU's etc. You can also flash recoveries whilst the phone is on using ROM Manager or Goo Manager.

I'm not entirely sure, but with S-OFF, I think it's possible to change the ***UNLOCKED***/***RELOCKED*** atop your bootloader to ***LOCKED*** again.

these newer phones have what i call a "lock status flag" that basically tells the hboot what condition the phone is in. the s-off procedure will undoubtedly reset the flag,so that the bootloader reads locked once again. re-unlocking will result in only getting back to relocked,just like with s on.

however,with the s3 phones,the lock status flag location is known,and its now easily changed back to locked if you reunlock. ( http://androidforums.com/rezound-all-things-root/659453-how-reset-your-lock-status-flag.html ) likely flag is stored near the radio secure flag(radio flag at 0x8400 and lock flag at 0x8404 on the s3 phones),so once the lock flag is located on the tegra 3 phones(its not in the same partition,ive checked my one x allready :() AND s off is achieved,then back to locked will be no big deal :)

one thing to keep in mind,if your lucky enuff to secure a factory s-off phone:)p),or send your phone to russia(and they send it back s off :D) that not much changes until s-off is available to the masses. i.e.,since the majority are s-on,developement suports that,and youll still need to flash your kernels seperately. at least until roms are scripted for recovery to install them.

hopefully someone can figure something out... IMO its harder to enjoy a wonderful multi-regional world phone if your s-on and stuck with a CID :mad:

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
Yeah. Just wanted to chime in, a fine chap named Regaw over working on the Evo 4G LTE (Sprint One X) has a text editor for s-off hboot. Gotta lotta cats there running phones that say they're s-on factory virgins when in reality they're s-off and everything else has been tinkered.

Not sure why the unlimited gang hasn't branched out to get s-off on the One X...

Upvote 0
Yeah. Just wanted to chime in, a fine chap named Regaw over working on the Evo 4G LTE (Sprint One X) has a text editor for s-off hboot. Gotta lotta cats there running phones that say they're s-on factory virgins when in reality they're s-off and everything else has been tinkered.

Not sure why the unlimited gang hasn't branched out to get s-off on the One X...

they have looked at it,at least they have looked at s4 variants. unfortunately,the current jp bear and dirty racun tools are using an sd card exploit to disable write protection on the partition where the radio secureflag lives. the non-removable sd phones are not vulnerable to the same exploit,due to how late the internal sd is introduced during the boot process :(

theres a guy on xda claiming to have figured it out on the dna,so well see if hes for real,and if so,if that exploit may be applied to hox,hoxl,hos,etc. :)

Upvote 0
Damnit, just rebooted while I was redditing. Can't seem to catch a break zz. Don't know if this is useful info but occasionally, I get the 'Unfortunately, (process name here) has stopped'. Think maybe its something to do with my backups? I got a few of those messages when I was restoring with TiBa after a fresh install, rebooted and tried again, didn't happen then.

Upvote 0
I've gotten the process stopping problem when I had a bad restore or permissions problem.

In recovery, you can wipe /system and /data - that's going to format your rom area but not your kernel or radio firmware - re-install the rom, and then repeat your restore or clean install from the Play Store.

The Viper4G that I use has a "full wipe" option in the installer and I have to use that over a recovery wipe. Follow your viper's install instructions on that.

Reactions: user47
Upvote 0
Oh, I wasn't aware of that. I finally got to doing what EarlyMon said. Wiped data and cache from recovery and full wiped during Viper installation. And at TiBu, I restore 'all apps with data' followed by system data. Last time, I got process stopping errors while restoring, this time however, it went smoothly. (Should I redo the whole thing and exclude restoring system data) Everything seems to be running fine, I'll keep you posted on the reboots and the phone-not-ringing problem. Thanks a lot guys.

On a side note, does anyone know anything about the galaxy s2? I seem to have bricked mine while attempting to root it :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones