1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support International travelling with VZW GS4

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Adara, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Adara

Adara Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    While I am happy that my GS4 is a "World phone" and therefore capable of picking up a GSM signal in other parts of the world, I am not so happy with what VZW charges me for data usage to do so.

I've heard a bit about picking up a local SIM card and thereby paying local rates. What I'd like to know is: is it really that simple? Also, will VZW have kittens and not let me reactivate my VZW SIM card when I come back?

If anyone who has done this can just walk me through the steps involved, I'd really appreciate it.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    You'll need the SIM-unlock code from Verizon. They should give it to you if you're traveling outside the country. (If not, you'll have to go to eBay and buy the code for that phone. Each individual phone has a different SIM-unlock code.) They won't even know that you're using the phone if their SIM isn't the one in it.

3. Adara

Adara Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    Ok. What do I do with this code once I have acquired it? (i.e. where is it input to make magic happen?)

4. hansangb

hansangb Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    I don't know. $25 bucks for 100MB of data seems fair. I find myself using wifi quite a bit in the hotels and reserve the BW for manual email pushes while roaming. I love GS4s default clock option that shows you the "home" time along with local time as well.

Good luck.

5. Adara

Adara Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    That would be a reasonable plan except the phone (which had been fine with wifi before I left) decided to reject about half of the wifi networks to which I attempted to connect (giving me the "that internet connection is too slow" business). At the time, I'd thought it was just bad luck in networks, but now that I'm home, this appears to be another problem with the phone I have to deal with (as it has decided my home network is one of the ones it doesn't like.) But that isn't a REAL problem when I'm home and have 2GB of data to use in a month - I generally use about half that. It IS a real problem when I'm abroad for a week, and my usual 250 MB will cost me $75.

My point, though, is that I was rationing the hell out of my data (in order to keep to the prorated 25 MB for a single week), and it drove me nuts. If there is an easy way to get a local SIM and pay reasonable data rates, I'd like to look into it.

6. Nick The Great

Nick The Great Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Iowa
    We went to Australia a few months ago, and used local SIM cards. I bought them at the Airport, plugged them in, and called and activated. The lady on the other end walked me through it, had to give her about 4,000 digits of varying numbers, and I had phone service.

I had to do a bit of monkeying around to get the data to work on my phone. My wife's worked pretty bunch straight off the bat.