• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Unaccounted memory used up - no space left

davoid

Android Expert
Aug 3, 2011
London
I have this problem where I have no storage space left on my internal memory but the usage is unaccounted for.

My apps add up to about 4GB but there is 6GB missing somehow.

I'm on AOKP.

I've attached a screenshot of my storage page.

Screenshot_2013-08-13-18-44-19_zps30fd1ad5.png

This is a new flash of the rom, and I've just restored my Titanium Backup of my apps (which gave me enough free space on previous setups) and I can't update any of my apps because I am apparently 'low' on storage.

I did a full wipe yeah. I'm thinking of making a nandroid backup and then formatting the internal drive in Philz.

I'll let you know what happens.

btw in DiskUsage a big block of memory is reported as System Data and is 6GB, which seems to be the missing storage...

Screenshot_2013-08-13-19-39-22_zps005ce55b.png

It's a pity that this app doesn't also allow you to locate a folder by selecting it, like WinDirStat does on my windows PC.

Upvote 0
Unless it was like that before, what it could be is all the crap from your touchwiz roms.

If you go to root/data/media you'll find all your original TW files there before the system changed in 4.2.2. I had to delete most of that shite to free up space. The file labelled '0' is the all the current locations of your stuff so if you delete everything try and keep that one.

Hopefully it's that as I'm clueless if it's something else.

Upvote 0
I've decided to take some screen shots as I'm poo at explaining stuff (I read that back and it was gobbledegook).

Here's one like yours with 3.4 gig of system data missing:
FxE17vl.jpg

And here one from the /data folder, as you can see the /media folder is 5.6 gig with 2.5 in the 0 folder (current normal folder) and the remaining 3 gig below it in the original TW files folder:
VyPCpu5.jpg

Upvote 0
Yatezy thanks for clearing up what the problem was. From your screenshot of DiskUsage, it definitely looks like the same circumstances as mine.

However, the formatting from recovery freed up the missing space for me. It would have been easier your way though.

I will know for next time though (if I ever go back to a TW rom, that is).

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Also keep an eye on nandroid backups. I ran out of space recently and it was simply, every time I flash a new ROM I take a nandroid first. Some of them were in excess of a gig!!

I just deleted the old ones and we are back in action!

I do my nandroid backups to my extSdCard but I did actually just yesterday delete over 16GB of nandroids lol so I know What you mean :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones