1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [International] Unfortunately the play store has stopped

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bendy86, Jan 14, 2013.

1. bendy86

bendy86 Newbie
    None

Jan 14, 2013
    Hi there, I am new to the forums so I apologise if this is in the wrong place. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 running on Jellybean (4.1.2) and it is Rooted. The software I used to root the phone was Odin3-v1.8 and CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4. Since last night, evry time I go to enter the Google Play Store I get the message "Unfortunately the Play Store has Stopped". Sometimes this happens as soon as the store is opened, sometimes it will let me get all the way to accepting to download A app, then it happens. Here is what I have tried to no luck so far.

1. Cleared the cache, Data and uninstall updates for the store then restarted the phone
    2. Uninstalled the play store app and then downloaded the .apk and reinstalled it.
    3. Started my phone in recovery mode and cleared the cache that way.
    4. Set date and time manually
    5.Tried using the Play store website to download a app to open the play store that way.
    6. Restored the app through titanium Backup.
    7. Un-synched my Google account, restarted the store, and logged in again.

Im sure there are a few other things that I cant remember right now but every time I open the store, I get the same message.

The only thing I have not done yet as I am not to sure what to do is to reflash the ROM or factory reset. I would like to think of these as the very last resort. I have not changed the ROM from the standard ROM that comes on the phone since Rooting it. I dont know what other options I have so Am really looking for help with the matter.

If I have to reflash the Phone, what will happen to all the data on the phone (I have backed this all up on titanium Backup) and how easy is this to do. Also, how safe is a factory reset on a rooted Phone, will I need to un-root the phone 1st or can I just factory reset. The thing is that I have seen that performing a factory reset does not always resolve this matter.

The other thing is the way how I got the phone. I swapped my Iphone for it with someone on Gumtree so I dont know where I would stand with Samsung and the guarentee. I dont have the original receipt for it.

I really hope someone can help. Im ok at the moment downloading .apk straight to the phone but when it comes to updating apps is when its a pain. Also, its just inconvinient. Hope to hear back soon.

Advertisement

2. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Extreme Android User

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

Clear data for Google services framework in application manager and then reboot your phone. Then clear data for Google play services and Google play store.

bendy86 likes this.
  3. bendy86

bendy86 Newbie
    None

Jan 14, 2013
    Thanks for the reply, I'll try that now.

4. bendy86

bendy86 Newbie
    None

Jan 14, 2013
    I just tried that and it lets me in to the play store but as soon as I press download and accept it the screen goes black and then comes back on with the message "unfortunately the play store has stopped". Its really annoying now. Thanks for the suggestion though. Any other ideas? What happens with a reflash? How easy is it and what will happen when I do that. I dont really wanna do it so I'll try anything else.

5. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Do you have access to a custom recovery (sorry, I'm unsure what the exact method is for rooting your phone)? Have you tried fixing permissions?

bendy86 likes this.
  6. bendy86

bendy86 Newbie
    None

Jan 14, 2013
    I'm really sorry but I don't really know what you mean by custom recovery and I don't know how to fix permissions? Sorry for being such a noob

7. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    No need to apologise, we all started somewhere. :)

A custom recovery is like TWRP or clockworkmod, or 4EXT. Do those ring any bells?

When you make changes to the system partition, like rooting, flashing a new ROM etc, it can make a little bit of a mess. You get what are called UID mismatches which (to cut a long story short), can cause all sorts of Force Close errors such as the one you're experiencing, which is why you need to Fix Permissions.

Most custom recoveries have a Fix Permissions option. There are apps that can do it too, but if you're having issues with Play, we might have a bit of difficulty getting an app on there to do it for you. Let me have a hunt around, see what I can find.

bendy86 likes this.
  8. bendy86

bendy86 Newbie
    None

Jan 14, 2013
    Thanks. I will have a look at the options that are available to me when I boot up in recovery mode. I'm afraid none of those ring any bells.

9. bendy86

bendy86 Newbie
    None

Jan 14, 2013
    So I booted in recovery mode and the options I were given are as follows, in the correct order.

Reboot system now
    Apply updates from ADB
    Apply updates from external storage
    Wipe data/ factory reset
    Wipe cache partition
    Apply update from cache

Out Of these I have only done wipe cache which made no difference.

10. Shotgun84

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    The cfroot method of rooting should install a custom recovery but looking at the options it appears something didn't work properly. Cfroot can be a bit hit and miss with jellybean firmware so the first thing I'd do is repeat the rooting process. If you still have the same recovery after download the .tar version of this kernel and flash with Odin the same way you did with cfroot
    SiyahKernel s3-v1.8.8 | SiyahKernel
    You will now be rooted but still need a custom recovery so download the Odin version of philx recovery v4 from post #2 of this linkhttp://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2002953. To flash put your phone in download mode and the recovery .tar in pda in Odin.

You will now be able to wipe dalvik and fix permissions in recovery which will hopefully solve the problem.

bendy86 likes this.
  11. bendy86

bendy86 Newbie
    None

Jan 14, 2013
    This is a real NOOB question I imagine but when I go into recoevery mode (volume up+Home button+Power Button) which option should I select from-

Reboot system now
    Apply updates from ADB
    Apply updates from external storage
    Wipe data/ factory reset
    Wipe cache partition
    Apply update from cache

I remember when I first rooted the phone, I had the option to press Volume up to continue to download mode or volume down to cancel and re-boot. I dont get those options any more. Instead, I only get the options as stated above. I know how to use Odin but what should I do to prepare the phone this time round for Rooting. Do I just select Reboot system now?

12. bendy86

bendy86 Newbie
    None

Jan 14, 2013
    don't worry, Ive got it now. Will see if any options have changed in recovery mode now.

13. bendy86

bendy86 Newbie
    None

Jan 14, 2013
    nothing cheanged when I re rooted cfroot so Im about to try the siyah option you gave me. When I downloaded the file it comes in a .zip folder and the file thats inside it is a .img file. Is that right and do i just select the zip file when I click PDA?

14. Shotgun84

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    bendy86 likes this.
  15. bendy86

bendy86 Newbie
    None

Jan 14, 2013
    Thanks for the advice, it's really appreciated. I've just successfully rooted with siyah and now about to use Phil touch. I'll report back soon.

16. bendy86

bendy86 Newbie
    None

Jan 14, 2013
    Ive just tried fixing permissions as stated in the post above and now it seems to be stopped on the screen with fixing permissions..... at the bottom of the screen. I cleared the dalvik cache first and thought while im on the screen I might as well do the permissions. Does this usually take a while or have I ballsed it up.

17. bendy86

bendy86 Newbie
    None

Jan 14, 2013
    Panic over, I really should be more patient

18. bendy86

bendy86 Newbie
    None

Jan 14, 2013
    Well it was worth a try but as soon as the phone loaded, I got the message "unfortunately the play store has stopped". Its getting a bit frustrating now. I really appreciate the help though and the new recovery options will come in handy.
    I think ive found a bit of a way round it by downloading 1 mobile market app and goimg to the google play store online, once I have selected an app, click the title, not the install button and then choose the "1 mobile market place" as the preffered programme to use instead of Play store and it downloads as if it was on the market place. Hopefully this will stop me from having to wipe my phone clear.
    I shall start another thread to help others who have this problem. I think it will need to be a temporary fix as I dont know if this will download app updates but at least I can still download google play apps.
    Its still a pain not being able to use the play store though.

If there are any other fixes you can suggest, Im willing to try.

19. Shotgun84

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    When you cleared data for Google services framework did you force stop it first? (sorry forgot to mention that earlier). If you didn't, force stop it then repeat what I posted on post #2

bendy86 likes this.
  20. bendy86

bendy86 Newbie
    None

Jan 14, 2013
    Sorry, Ive been without internet for a few days. I have just tried Force stopping first and then deleteing data to no luck. Its really starting to get to me now, Ive found a way to download the free apps from the play store by using the play store website and instead of clicking on the install button, I click the picture or the title thats in bold and using an app called 1 mobile market as my preferred choice. It then opens that instead of the play store and downloads the app. Just got to figure out a way to get the paid apps if I want any now. This doesnt solve the problem but at least its a slight work around.
    Im still gettting the play store has stopped message, which interupts things every now and then and also, none of the apps updates as they dont have anywhere to update from so ant more ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Just out of interrest, when you open a file manasger, where abouts (what file path) should the play store be in.

And 1 more thing, I dont have a external sd card in my phone yet, I was wondering what would happen to my titanium backup, backup data if i factory reset, surely it would wipe that as well or am I being a real Noob and missing the obvious. I really dont want to do a factory reset at the moment, or at least til monday when my 64gb sd card turns up.

21. Shotgun84

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    As long as you factory reset through philz recovery/ any custom recovery and not the factory reset from the phones settings, factory reset your internal memory won't be wiped so you would just need to redownload titanium after and then use that to restore your apps.

Actually just in case you still have problems with the play store after the reset open up titanium, press menu, create update zip. This will save a flashable zip of titanium so you can reinstall titanium by flashing it in recovery.

funkylogik and bendy86 like this.
  22. bendy86

bendy86 Newbie
    None

Jan 14, 2013
    So the way how I should do it is

1. Backup up with titanium backup
    2. Create the zip file
    3. Boot in recovery mode
    4. Remove all data
    5. Re flash from zip
    6. Reboot

Is there anything I'm missing. I don't want to go through with it until I'm 100% sure with what I'm doing. Will I have to re-root/flash once I boot up after flashing from the zip file? What data will i lose if I do the reset through philz? How easy is it to recover data that I do lose. I'm not gonna do anything until I get some answers. I I'm off to do some research

23. bendy86

bendy86 Newbie
    None

Jan 14, 2013
    Also meant to ask, should I leave the play store 3.10.10 on there or should I uninstall it before I reset? Thanks for the help.

24. Shotgun84

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    I'd reboot after the reset then boot back into recovery and flash the titanium zip. It's been a bit hit and miss whether it installs straight after the wipe for me.

Leave the play store on but only restore user/ downloaded apps and data. You'll have to restore your settings manually but the problem will be in those system apps somewhere.

Also if you don't want to lose your texts and call logs open titanium press menu, backup data to xml. To restore, menu, restore data from xml

bendy86 likes this.
  25. bendy86

bendy86 Newbie
    None

Jan 14, 2013
    Sorry for being such a noob but I presume that after the reset, and when I boot up, the phone will be completely standard with none of my previous apps or settings on there.

After that, I boot into recovery mode and flash the zip and re boot after that has finish. What should I expect, will all my apps be on there or does this just install titanium backup?

I'm really sorry about all the questions but I'm really new to all this and just wanna get things right. I've been searching for a step by step guide but can't find one anywhere. I have a rough idea of what to do but wanna be 100%. Just to confirm though, when I reset, the titanium backup data won't get removed as I only have the internal memory. Like I said before, sorry for being such a noob.