• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Updated to 4.3 Djembey and now Video or video cam not working.

Rudedawg

Android Expert
Jun 24, 2011
Southampton UK
Suggestions ? I cant use the camcorder and video fails to play.

Complete wipe and re flashed the ROM and still the cam app refuses to either record or play videos :(

EDIT: So full wipe and installed the latest Echoe rom . Camera still crashes when I try to use cam corder and video still says "sorry this video cannot be played". What the hell is wrong with this phone now?!!!?

Further to the above the mic does not work and neither does any sound of any kind. I've no idea what Ive done here but my phone is well and truly borked. Very annoyed at myself for not leaving things alone :( Havent even got access to a stock rom to reflash via odin as the host site sammy firmware use has broken download links :(

I even went back to MGA and the problem is the same.

** Did a reboot into download and flashed the MGA wifi fix for djembey and rebooted. Right now everything is working including the cam. Something is definitly amiss so will be hunting down the stock and going back to barebones before starting again. Being an Android rooter/borker is shortening my life expectancy.

The "wifi" fixes only need to be flashed if on the new bootloader, and your wifi/4G/sound doesn't work. Generally speaking, if you're still on the old bootloader, then you should be ok, and flashing the current firmware's "fix" is to be avoided.

Judging by your details, you were on MGA, and will be on the old pre-knox bootloader, so the "wifi" fixes never need to be flashed. Steer clear of flashing these in future, and stay on the MGA version.

Reactions: Rudedawg
Upvote 0
Coming from Android 4.2.2 or another ROM, a clean install needs to be done at the outset, before flashing the ROM. Judging from your posts last night, you did a quick and dirty flash over MGA and then used the Wi-Fi fix and then flashed Echoe ROM on a clean install but with the Wi-Fi fix in old bootloader still. By that time it was too late as a Full wipe doesn't affect the bootloader... (thank goodness, where Knox is concerned)

EDIT: So full wipe and installed the latest Echoe rom . Camera still crashes when I try to use cam corder and video still says "sorry this video cannot be played". What the hell is wrong with this phone now?!!!?

Further to the above the mic does not work and neither does any sound of any kind. I've no idea what Ive done here but my phone is well and truly borked.

I know what you have done...

Taken from DjeMBeY ROM xda thread, post #2...

WARNING:
Do NOT use WiFi FIX from JB 4.3 on old NON-KNOX bootloaders from 4.2.2 (MH1 downwards)!!
It won't help and can break SOUND!!

"Bad dog", (Genna Davis, Cutthroat Island)

** Did a reboot into download and flashed the MGA wifi fix for djembey and rebooted. Right now everything is working including the cam. Something is definitly amiss so will be hunting down the stock and going back to barebones before starting again. Being an Android rooter/borker is shortening my life expectancy.

Hopefully, you've dodged a bullet there. :ahhhhh:

Next time, do a clean install and no Wi-Fi fix. Any problems, just re-flash the DjeMBeY ROM again... oh, and get a pacemaker fitted! ;)

Reactions: Rudedawg
Upvote 0
Thats the thing though. I did a full new rom cleaning wipe before my initial update Ironass and I used the wifi fix labled to match the rom. I only did so bexause wifi wouldnt switch on before I did this.
So unless im getting the wrong end of the stick here? Even after a full wipe the 4.2.2 bootloader remains when flashing a 4.3 rom ?

I would really like to try echoe again as the look and feel felt fresh and had that custom feel ive missed since the S2 days. The chain of events leading to my current position were pretty scary as it all seemed to go so smoothly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones