• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] URGENT - Almost bricked HTC One

Just to let everyone know that I also had a soft brick, or at least that what it looked like; I couldn't get away from the green HTC logo on white background and couldn't flash any ROM.

Luckily I had S-Off and successfully unlocked the bootloader before messing with the phone. I flashed a custom recovery (TWRP 2.6.3.4) and thought everything was hunky dory, then started to play 'catchup' with the firmware before thinking of flashing a custom ROM.

There my problems began. I Couldn't get the device to talk to my windows adb setup, unfortunately, I didn't' realise that Windows 8.1 was going to cause me so much grieve. However, in the end I was ready to call HTC and then stumbled over a post at XDA, where the poster suggested Koush's universal adb drivers rather HTC or Samsung or anything else.

Wow, installed the drivers mentioned and immediately had success, managed to sideload a custom ROM successfully, flashed and now I am a happy camper. Never give up!

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Hello people. I'm back again.

I was formatting the One and installing InsertCoin, and somehow ended up in the same situation. I have the custom ROM on the mobile though, so I can flash it, but it refuses to start up. Reboots into recovery.
Sadly, I can't find the 'recover kernel' option in the TWRP now. Any ideas?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones