• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Want to downgrade my software!!!

phoneuser

Jul 24, 2013
Hi guys I recently updated my HTC One over wifi through the update function from within the phone and now I'm seeing all sorts of problems.

It's a factory unlocked phone so I can use any SIM card and I updated to Android version 4.4.3

Battery drains much faster ever since the update, the phone has been sloggy and sloppy at processing anything and the Volume Down button keeps showing as being pressed even though when it's not, due to which the phone sometimes restarts in Safe Mode and sometimes in Bootloader and it takes ages to get out of there.

I've tried soft resets and hard resets and a few other tips but nothing has worked. So I was thinking that it would be best to downgrade to an earlier 100% working software version, whichever you guys recommend.

Please check the attached images of my phone details and guide me how I can go on about doing this whole process, or if it's easier you can point me to relevant threads/posts of similar nature.

Thanks in advance!

P.S

I'm in Asia btw and phone was factory unlocked and I don't have an SD card in the phone.

Forgot to add the images:

Attachments

• IMAG0733.jpg
    IMAG0733.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMAG0734.jpg
    IMAG0734.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 125
  • IMAG0735.jpg
    IMAG0735.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0
Is that the only thing I'll need to do in order to run a stock ROM which is lower than my current version???

yes, if you are s-on you can only run an RUU which is the same version or higher than you already have. With s-off you can run any version. Also with s-off it is really simple to change to super cid to run any RUU you like.

Upvote 0
yes, if you are s-on you can only run an RUU which is the same version or higher than you already have. With s-off you can run any version. Also with s-off it is really simple to change to super cid to run any RUU you like.

Well let's suppose I want to reinstall the same version software I'm currently on, could you link me to THAT RUU which matches my phone so I can try re-installing it and see if that solves my problem before rooting and stuff.

Thanks

Upvote 0
you have the newest software ..all you can do is boot to stock recovery and do a factory reset

Is there any difference between doing a factory reset through the bootloader and through the settings menu in terms of effectiveness???

I've done factory reset through the bootloader as well as through the settings menu and I still have some of my old apps, so it seems it's not fully resetting the phone.

Well could you link me to this latest software/RUU matching with my phone so that I can run it and do a fresh install via laptop to see if it solves my problems/glitches??? I guess I need the international 4.4.3 version with sense 6 RUU but I can't find it anywhere :(

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Is there any difference between doing a factory reset through the bootloader and through the settings menu in terms of effectiveness???

I've done factory reset through the bootloader as well as through the settings menu and I still have some of my old apps, so it seems it's not fully resetting the phone.

Well could you link me to this latest software/RUU matching with my phone so that I can run it and do a fresh install via laptop to see if it solves my problems/glitches??? I guess I need the international 4.4.3 version with sense 6 RUU but I can't find it anywhere :(

Thanks in advance!

Sorry but i thought I made it clear ...their is no 6.xx.xxx.x RUU for your phone. If you want to use a RUU you need s-off because the only RUU is older than your current software. The Factory Reset in the Stock Recovery is different than the one in the bootloader and in the settings menu.

reboot the phone to the bootloader use volume down to recovery, hit the power button. when the screen goes black or you see a triangle on a phone push volume up and hit power at the same time. this will bring up the menu in the stock recovery. you'll see sdcard error 5 times, this is normal. from the menu choose to factory reset / format data. when it's done your phone will be the same as new.

Upvote 0
Sorry but i thought I made it clear ...their is no 6.xx.xxx.x RUU for your phone. If you want to use a RUU you need s-off because the only RUU is older than your current software. The Factory Reset in the Stock Recovery is different than the one in the bootloader and in the settings menu.

reboot the phone to the bootloader use volume down to recovery, hit the power button. when the screen goes black or you see a triangle on a phone push volume up and hit power at the same time. this will bring up the menu in the stock recovery. you'll see sdcard error 5 times, this is normal. from the menu choose to factory reset / format data. when it's done your phone will be the same as new.

Before I tried this, I did the factory reset through the settings a couple of times after fully charging the phone and everything started to seem normal.

Just to be sure I followed your steps and did the format/factory reset from recovery and so far so good.

Will post again if I see any abnormal behaviour once again.

Thanks guys :)

Reactions: clsA
Upvote 0

Hi bro, I'm back because the problem started happening again which is " the volume down starts pressing by itself and the volume settings keeps showing on the screen "

So want to downgrade to the most stable 4.4 version or 4.3 version whichever is most stable.

So kindly guide me how to do S-Off ( maybe link me to an awesome guide ) and also link me to a RUU for my phone which I can run afterwards to install the older version of the software.

Keep in mind my cell is HTC One ( M7 ) international / factory unlocked, rest you can check in the screenshots of my first post.

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
there could just be some dirt behind the volume button causing it to stick?

Anyway if you want to s-off with hboot 1.57 you have two choices. Firewater (free) or sunshine ($25).

Try firewater first. If you get the "whelps this sucks" message it cannot work for you.

(did same for me). If you do want to try sunshine it's an apk you install. It will run some tests on your phone and will only ask for payment if it will work.

links.

firewater s-off

TheRoot Ninja - SunShine HTC & Motorola Bootloader Unlock / S-Off

[Guide] Firewater S-Off | HTC One | XDA Forum

Upvote 0
there could just be some dirt behind the volume button causing it to stick?

Anyway if you want to s-off with hboot 1.57 you have two choices. Firewater (free) or sunshine ($25).

Try firewater first. If you get the "whelps this sucks" message it cannot work for you.

(did same for me). If you do want to try sunshine it's an apk you install. It will run some tests on your phone and will only ask for payment if it will work.

links.

firewater s-off

TheRoot Ninja - SunShine HTC & Motorola Bootloader Unlock / S-Off

[Guide] Firewater S-Off | HTC One | XDA Forum

Tried firewater method to gain temp root and even weaksauce to gain temp root, boot failed.

Ran sunshine and it said it can run/root my device but don't want to pay $25 for it atm.

Is there no other way atm to get S-OFF and root for my phone???

Upvote 0
You only need a custom recovery to flash another rom. Nearly all rooms come rooted anyway. Just make a backup first in recovery before flashing anything. You could try firewater again when rooted.

So why exactly do we need S-OFF, I thought it was to get full rights to the phone and allowed us to install custom ROMS/Radios etc.

Also could you suggest which recovery I should install " TWRP or CWM " and then which ROM would be best, I was thinking about CM 4.4.4, what do you think???

Upvote 0
Also will it be possible for me to install a stock ROM like 4.3 afterwards or will I need S-OFF and a lower version of HBoot for that???

If so I'm planning to use this guide to get S-OFF but which HBoot should I install to be able to install a stock 4.3 ( which I believe is most stable right??? ) ???

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Also will it be possible for me to install a stock ROM like 4.3 afterwards or will I need S-OFF and a lower version of HBoot for that???

If so I'm planning to use this guide to get S-OFF but which HBoot should I install to be able to install a stock 4.3 ( which I believe is most stable right??? ) ???

Thanks in advance!

Again, the reason for s-off is so you can downgrade and run an older software RUU. Their is no RUU for your current version.

Many have luck with ARHD + the Bulletproof kernel + Firewater to get s-off

Upvote 0
Hey guys.
I upgraded my android os to 4.4.3 about 1 month ago.
it seems so good at the beginning... Till that i found many problems or somethings like that...
for example when i try to save a new contact on contacts ... The new contact that i saved had been erased after a lock and unlock like an unknown recieved number...
or about the speakers and its low than before...
pls help me and tell me how can i downgrade this android os!?
And sory about my bad english writing...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones