1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[International] zram and googymax?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dan55, Dec 17, 2013.

1. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

hi guys

just flashed this kernel over jelly beer 4.2.2 and was thinking about playing with zram to help with my possible ram issue and speed.

anyone used it? and what are good optimum settings to try?

...what does it do?

thanks
    Dan

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. davoid

davoid Android Expert

I tried it for about 5 mins and then turned it off because it was too stuttery. I realize I could have played with it to see if different settings would have been better, but couldn't be bothered.

What it does is basically increase your ram by compressing a designated section, so say for instance you have 1GB ram and you reserve 200MB for zram (splitting ram into 800MB + 200MB), what it does is compress any data that is stored in that area of memory, therefore increasing your capacity.

If, for instance, you could compress 400MB to fit into that 200MB designated area, you would have the equivalent of 1.2GB ram (800 + 400).

The problem, as I see it, is that the phone has to spend cpu time compressing the data before writing to ram, and to decompress after reading from ram (similar to the way a computer takes time to create a zip archive or extract an archive's contents in order to read them).

I think this compression/decompression is a potential source of slowdown for your device.

I can see how zram would help if your device had very little ram but a fast processor. However, if you're willing to experiment, you may find optimal settings that will make it run nicely.

Try varying the size of the allocated zram memory. I may have had mine too large, so it was always using it. It might be better to save it for the last bit of ram for when you are about to run out and need to squeeze a bit more data into memory. :)

funkylogik and dan55 like this.
  3. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

many thanks davoid great info cheers

4. Yatezy

Yatezy Android Enthusiast

I used to run it with 600mb at 80 percentage swappiness and it made my phone multitask like a monster!

Far less refreshes when I moved between apps but there was a bit of lag sometimes. With zzmove governor and zram it was a pretty smooth and multitasking experience.

Personally I think it's well worth it as the multitasking is garbage on this phone :thumb:

dan55 and funkylogik like this.
  5. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

cool thanks for the info. I can see much settings change ahead off me :-D

6. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

I'm mainly just trying to reduce the lag when going to home screen from apps like g+ tapatalk etc

7. davoid

davoid Android Expert

I had mine on the same setting. Maybe it was the governor that made a difference. Or maybe it was because I was using ART.

By refreshes do you mean when you swap to an app and it opens but is blank? It would certainly be nice to eliminate this.

I might give that governor a try. Do you not use zram anymore then? (I noticed this is all in the past tense)

It's pretty good with ART but I still get those blank apps sometimes that need refreshing. (Actually Chrome always needs refreshing, but I think that's the app...)

I might give it another try, but how is your phone set up now yatezy?

dan55 likes this.
  8. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

crap! wifi doesn't work with this it seems :-(

9. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

actually seems to be google service not working rather than wifi itself.. re flashed apps but still same :-\

everything but google stuff over wifi is working... guess full rom flash then kernel might fix it

10. Yatezy

Yatezy Android Enthusiast

Replied in bold :)

11. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

re flashed jelly beer and googymax but still no google service over wifi :-\

12. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

:-D it's my home wifi that is broken!

13. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

Just altered my settings to zmove guv and zram.. Possible slight stutter when switching apps :-\

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews