• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Internet and On a Call

Yep. I've yet to understand why someone would want a phone with so many multi-tasking capabilities, then put it on a network that limits those abilities.

Well, you would weigh the options you had. Some people may not care about such things. So - better network or ability to use data while on calls? I think a lot of people are not going to choose the ability use data while on calls. I had AT&T, and this feature never came in handy for me. So, was it hard for me to make the switch to a network that had good service? Nope, did not think twice. Still wouldn't consider going back and have still have never had a use for data while on a call. Hopefully that explains it for you.

Upvote 0
GSM allows us to browse and be on a call at the same time. The CDMA variant won't let you. Those of you who have it now, is that useful enough to tilt you one way or the other?

Not quite accurate... GSM (and EDGE) - does NOT allow simultaneous voice and data.... ONLY UMTS/HDSPA allows this... if you don't believe me, try it - set your phone to '2G only' and try to surf while making a speakphone call... can't be done...

Upvote 0
and i've used this feature many times... usually when on a call with tech support, or making a reservation or something like that, where you need to look up info - while talking to the person...

Ditto....I use it all the time. Talking to someone and being able to look up movie times, etc. I just don't understand why someone would spend top dollar for a phone with all the capabilities if they're on a network that limits it. To each their own, but i wouldn't pay $529 for a 'superphone' if I couldn't use all the power it offered.

...Not trying to offend anyone as I hope everyone is happy with whatever network they're on.

Upvote 0
Not quite accurate... GSM (and EDGE) - does NOT allow simultaneous voice and data.... ONLY UMTS/HDSPA allows this... if you don't believe me, try it - set your phone to '2G only' and try to surf while making a speakphone call... can't be done...

Good point .. I'm with the big V now, so I've yet to experience this, obviously. About to pull the trigger and not wait for the CDMA variant, despite the decrease in coverage. Austin should still be ok, though. Looks as though the kinks are being worked out or are just about worked out, including some of the customer service issues. In addition, the reported speeds heretofore don't seem to coincide with TMo's turning on HDSPA except in Philly or New York.
http://androidforums.com/t-mobile/47023-lets-talk-about-t-mobiles-4g.html
So obviously the ability to surf, browse and be on a call could be useful... and may just about sway me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones